Glo tube lithium

Johnbeck180

Enlightened
Does anyone have this light? Been looking at it, thinking about getting it. Me and the wife go camping some and she likes to read at night at home while were in bed. What is the output of this light? Is it worth the money? Thanks.

silentlurker

Newly Enlightened
I have a Glo Toob, but I have the one that takes a tiny 12v alkaline battery. It's intended use is as a marker, not an area light or flashlight. It's good for things like marking your campsite so that you can find it at night. It's basically a durable, LED version of the ubiquitous glow tubes that contain chemicals that you bend to activate. It is well suited as a marker and has no peer for that purpose, but it's not a flashlight or area light by any stretch of the imagination.

EDIT: I should qualify that by saying it's possible to use it as a light in a tent to read by. but I have never personally tested it in this use. My advice comes from my experience using the light in other circumstances. YMMV, as it depends how big your tent is, what color it is (for reflections) and how good your night vision is; it's not as bright as a lantern, but still gives off light.

Last edited:

Incidentalist

Enlightened
I have a couple of the lithium Glo Tubes and really like them. I generally use them as night lights for my kids when we travel. They work very well in this regard. I have also used them as a tent light. It worked fine for that application, but I didn't try to read with it. I generally get several nights worth of use on each battery. It's a handy light to have around in a power outage and a I keep a few at our lake house for just that purpose.

I had one of the non-lithium versions and sold it. It wasn't as bright and the battery life was terrible compared to the lithium model.

manoloco

Enlightened
The lithium versions are a deal brighter than the old ones (FX) iirc, they also use CR123 cells that are easier to find and have a higher runtime/output.

It should be enough to read by, as silentlurker pointed, its primary purpose is to be used as a marker, but the lithium version is also good as a low light (as for reading or turning it inside your pack to look inside etc.)

I have used my green one a couple of times to point a place with a lot of success even in the city at night, The epoxy that makes the cylinder and surrounds the leds, has yellowed a little bit after some years due to UV rays from the sun (not a problem though, it still works perfectly)

bansuri

Enlightened
Be sure to go over the instructions. This isn't a light to be clicked on and off like we do with our flashlights, doing so invokes the programming mode. Programing is klunky at first but there are a plenty of options for whatever output type you need.
They come with a great set of accessories and you'll probably come up with uses for the light that haven't been thought of yet.
Have fun!

mark43

Newly Enlightened
I've tried using my lithium Glo Tube to read travel books in my bunks at hostels while backpacking. Honestly, they suck (monkey balls) for this particular application, even with the light sitting right on my chest, almost right next to the text. Like silent lurker says, being electric glow sticks, they work great as markers. They do a good job of lighting themselves up, but do a poor job of lighting up even a small area. If the lithium versions are significantly brighter than the older Glo Tube models, that's just more reason not to use any Glo Tube for reading.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have used my green one a couple of times to point a place with a lot of success even in the city at night, The epoxy that makes the cylinder and surrounds the leds, has yellowed a little bit after some years due to UV rays from the sun (not a problem though, it still works perfectly)

I don't quite understand. *scratches head*

What do you mean by "point a place?"

manoloco

Enlightened
:D my mistake, meant to mark a place.

a couple of times i have marked places to friends who couldnt find addresses where i already was, so i fired the glo toob outside hanging on me and told them on the phone to look for a green blinking light.

i had been tempted to leave it outside blinking but it might get taken so i went out with it.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is an excellent, excellent idea, and I think I may take something like that along next time I am at a crowded event and need to be found. Thanks for the tip!

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep a blue one on a lanyard on my pack set to locator beacon mode. That way in case I'm ever lost in the woods or something, I can hang it off the side and turn it on. They're super fun.... I used to have one of every color, but always end up giving them away to kids who think they're the coolest things ever...

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
they are cool toys/ locators.
Sure they'll light up a small area, but they'll ruin your night adapted vision.

I use mine to strobe pumpkins for halloween. Or take one when I go for a late night walk/rollerblade/bike ride.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one, it is in the trunk of my car now in case I break down. I use my other lights to ceiling bounce indoors. It is a cool "disco mode" beacon light, I didn't give it much of a chance as a night light and such because I didn't want to go through primaries or deep discharge RCR123s. If ceiling bouncing isn't practical for your tent you could also check into some diffuser caps for the lights you currently own.

Last edited:

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Johnbeck180, I posted some impressions and photos of the original Glo-Toob and the Lithium Glo-Toob here. All the best!

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I forgot to mention that I did once have an issue with one of my Glo-Toob lithiums - the diving switch (the twisty one) ceased functioning so I contacted their CS twice and never got a response... But at least you can find places to purchase the switches separately... Just thought I'd mention that - don't expect superb customer service after purchasing one...