Have you owned a defective TM11?

• Yes, my TM11 was or is defective

Votes: 31 40.3%
  • No, my TM11 has always worked fine

Votes: 46 59.7%

• Total voters

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
As is being discussed in a review thread of the TM11 there seems to be problems with the TM11 and thought it should have it's own thread so here goes.

Anyone who has a TM11 does your light cut off, blink and light up different emitters and other strange things after you run it on max, mine does? It started when I ran it on max for 7 minutes and then it started doing it only a few seconds after turn on.

I've now seen a few other members with the same issue and I'm not sure what the problem is, I tried several different 18650's and fresh primary's.

It got worse the more I ran it having this odd behavior on all modes plus only one of the three emitters would light up, the light would turn off for nearly a minute at a time and suddenly turn back on, lots of flickering and other strange behavior. I contacted my dealer and they was just awesome with communication and it's already on it's way back but I'm seriously worried about the replacement as well.

Last edited:

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Nitecore TM11 malfunctioning

Well, here's a repeat of the relevant part of what I posted in the TM11f preview thread:

I wasn't going to make much of a deal about getting one of these, but I took a chance, too. The one I received has a variation of the same behavior.

It's very random and takes place only when I turn the light on in turbo mode and only near the beginning of use in turbo mode (first couple of minutes). Mine will either flicker once (a quick flicker) or blink off for a second or blink off and stay that way several seconds before coming back on -- or randomly stay off for a long time once it blinks off. But this behavior is not when the light has been on turbo for a few minutes. Instead, it happens anywhere from 20 or 30 seconds on up to a minute or two from a cold start. And when it doesn't come back on of its own accord, it's not as if it goes into standby mode (the red lights don't blink as in standby mode). It seems to go into lockout mode (some of the times) when it stays off since pressing the switch does not always turn it back on again (sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't). I've got a feeling a few bad ones made their way into distribution.

I'm using freshly charged AW 2200s, for what it's worth.

Mine was purchased from LightJunction, too.

It seems to be all over the place as far as the flickering/blinking/cutting off completely. When it cuts off, it does so for anywhere from one second to several seconds then comes back on in most cases. I had a couple of instances where it cut off and stayed off for an extended time, as though in lockout mode (no blinking red power indicator).

The longest I've run this one is up to about 7 minutes, actually somewhat fearing that there might be a problem with the thermal protection (maybe an irrational fear, but with the kind of flaky behavior I don't know what to think).

Once this one has run for more than about two to three minutes, it doesn't continue to cut off or flicker, but that's based on somewhat limited testing. Cutting off/flickering seems to happen only in the first few seconds to the first two to three minutes with this particular light.

In a little while, I'll be able to test it with Redilast 3100s and see if I get any different results. I've used only AW 2200s in my testing up to now.

I also tested new Redilast 3100s and got the same results (flickering, blinking off and back on, shutting off for a few seconds at a time, etc.).

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks varuscelli I'm going to email Nitecore this thread once we get a couple others to report in, hopefully it can be addressed swiftly because I really like the UI and size/feel of the light and the output was amazing.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast

I contacted my dealer and they was just awesome with communication and it's already on it's way back but I'm seriously worried about the replacement as well.

Did the vendor have any ideas that they shared with you about the problem? And did you mention that there were others apparently having the same issues?

Looks like I've got to go through the return process, too, so I guess I need to figure out if I need an official RMA, etc. I suppose I'll have to contact them tomorrow. Ugh, what a disappointing situation. It's a shame to be dealing with these issues, especially with such general excited anticipation associated with release of the TM11.

I wonder if Alex (276) will chime in with a bit more on his situation with the TM11 as mentioned in the TM11 preview thread.

Last edited:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast

I got mine from LightJunction and they sent me a address to send it to, no RMA. In the original email I sent I did not mention that other members share the same problem because I didn't know that at the time but they have been great with communications and I just told them via PM on CPFM.

A+ to LightJunction for their good communications and they get theirs from the same place as other dealers so I hope no one assumes it's a bad place to order a TM11, it happens but it's just a bummer it happened with such a cool light and expensive one to ship back. :(

Enlightened

All lights will have growing pains, no worries. Budget lights, branded lights, doesn't matter. Key is the level of support offered. With quite a few budget lights you don't even get spare parts to replace! LOL! The level of support offered for your return shipping (might not be outright coverage via monetary PP terms) that i leave it to the individual. The good thing in this round is that you definitely will be getting the support you need, from what I see.

I can understand how you feel, because i experienced that before a few times and that's with the branded lights.

Last edited:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast

Your right 2100 and that's why I'm not mad or anything, I have bought light's from just about every manufacturer and I can't think of one mass producing brand that I haven't had a major problem or a bug of some sort, and that goes for everything from a budget light to a $300 light. It's just simply the way it is and it's something you have to expect if you buy a lot of light's especially "just released" light's, no of course it should not be like that no matter the price but it is.

Before all the madness from my TM11 it was amazing and I have no problem waiting a little longer to get that one that will serve me for years to come, I just want to be certain me and the other members who have problems was just really unlucky and that this problem is not widespread, I know there has been lots of TM11's already sold and in people's hands so will see.

My advice is when you get your TM11 burn it on max output for a extended amount of time and see what happens and then do it again a couple more times, do the same thing for the 1100 lumen daily mode.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast

With some luck, it might be that there is an isolated batch of lights affected and not all of them that are shipping. It seems unlikely that something like this would go unnoticed if a large number of light was affected, but I guess you never know. It's not so much the hassle on the individual level as on the individual plus vendor level with all the returns, extra shipping, dealing with the manufacturer, etc. Kind of an ordeal for everyone involved, and the more lights affected the bigger the overall hassle to resolve to everyone's satisfaction. I guess we'll see how widespread the problem is once we start hearing from others (both buyers and sellers).

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast

I sent them an e-mail so I'm pretty sure I'll hear something at some point on Tuesday (Oct. 4). I've basically just boxed it back up and am waiting for instructions from the dealer.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast

*POOF* and just like that, I'm cancelling my order to buy a TM11 until this is sorted out.

Thanks for the post guys! :)

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast

*POOF* and just like that, I'm cancelling my order to buy a TM11 until this is sorted out.

Thanks for the post guys! :)

You might to reconsider there has only been three or four of of us reported this and no telling how many sold, at least consider waiting until other owners report or ask your dealer if they mind testing your light.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast

You might to reconsider there has only been three or four of of us reported this and no telling how many sold, at least consider waiting until other owners report or ask your dealer if they mind testing your light.

Yeah thanks. I'll have my supplier test the light and if he recommends getting it, then so be it. :)

Craig K

Enlightened

I was thinking about getting one of these but now I am nervous.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was thinking about getting one of these but now I am nervous.

Not to long ago when the SC600 was released I was one of the first to get that as well and I had a switch that turned on if you just barely touched it, one day latter probably 5 or 6 others reported the same thing. Turned out it was a goof during assembly and it was addressed immediately and the problem dropped just as quick as it started, there was quite a few people (deservedly so) who considered cancelling there order but it seemed most stuck with it.

Now out of those who stuck with it we only seen maybe two or three out of many many sold with the switch problem and after that initial batch was gone no one reported any more problems and now the SC600 is one of the very best EDC's you can buy. I think this is how the TM11 is going to play out, a few here and there with problems but we will see the problem just go away as quickly as it came.

Baddog

Newly Enlightened

none should be shipped without quality control by the manufacturer and NOW by the retailer given everyone is aware of an issue.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast

none should be shipped without quality control by the manufacturer and NOW by the retailer given everyone is aware of an issue.

i guess in their rush to get it out the gate, they 'forgot' to test it! haha....

but im sure the 2nd or 3rd batch of these will be sorted out.

i guess its usual to see problems with the 1st batch of lights. even other brands suffer the same issues. ZL's, SWM's etc etc etc...

Does anybody have problems with first batches of Fenix or 4Sevens lights? How about the Jetbeams, are their 1st batch of new lights error free?

I'll probably get my TM11 by mid or later part of next year. Just in time for the end of the world 2012! LOLZ! hahaha :)

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mine arrived and I'm using primaries (Duracell). Ran it on turbo for about 4 minutes and no issues. Will run a longer test tonight. So far, this has got to be one of my favorite lights. Battery voltage has ranged from 6.0 to 5.9 depending on if the light was just run or not. UI is pretty slick. Light produced is quite nice and the tint is great. Compared it to my SR91 and S18 Maelstrom. The TM11 has a bigger hotspot so throw will not be as good, but the amount of light it kicks out is insane. I'll drain those primaries tonight and report what I find, but so far, so good.

Latest posts