led mod for pelican supersaberlight a 3c cell incandesent

wordwalker3

Newly Enlightened
hello,

I am considering attempting to canibalize the bulb/reflector assembly from my pelican supersaberlight in an attempt to convert it to led. Of note is the fact that the batteries are incerted positive end down into the flashlight body. I have 3-4 of these lights which I no longer use but would be good for keeping in a car, ect... any suggestions as to emmiters/ drivers would be appreciated.

thanks,
wordwalker3

Last edited:

wordwalker3

Newly Enlightened
Yes, those are the lights. It looks like the mod with the led on the copper post would work the best as far as focussing the beam. any suggestions as to led for best throw, little of no spill. I plan to use 2 c size Li-ion batteries. Intended use is for emergency standby light...NOT a tactical light.
wordwalker3

Last edited:

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LED for best throw would be the XP-E R4. Keep in mind the limitations of using a plastic host: plastic will retain the heat within the body of the light so no high power setups unless you use it for short bursts only. I powered my light at 500mA and the heatsink only got warm after running it for an hour straight. The problem is that running it harder (which would give you more throw) will result in overheating the LED and this will affect the life of the LED as well as reliability of the light.

For two Li-Ions you would need a buck circuit. The Sandwich Shop sells one, I believe, that would work here, but, why not use a boost driver and two standard C cells or two NiMH C cells? You could always use alkalines if your NiMH cells run dry. With a buck circuit you can't do that.