Surefire 6P host with Malkoff M61W drop in question?

Craig K

Enlightened
Does the Malkoff M61W fit in the Surefire 6P with no gaps and no issues or is it better to get a Malkoff MD2 body?

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd suggest the MD2 if you don't already have 6p, it gives you the option of multimodes and comes with a high quality mclicky switch. There will be a tiny 1mm gap with the 6p, it's not that hard to get rid of, just take a fine file and lightly chamfer the bottom lip of the dropin until it fits perfectly, it's almost impossible to mess this up on a 6p since a bit of foil between the dropin and the 6p body will give you better heatsinking and ensure 100% electrical contact.

curtispdx

Enlightened
Personally, I like the 6P body better but if the hi/lo switch is something you'd like then the Malkoff body is really the only choice. However, your question is about a gap on a 6P; yes, there is one but it's pretty small. I wouldn't worry about it. Issues with the 6P combo? None at all, it's my favorite setup.

Tommygun45

Enlightened
If you get an M61W and put it in a 6P it will be fine. Its designed for them. I have them in z2's 6ps and c2/c3s. I do not notice any fitment issues at all. The Malkoff setup is nice with the hi/lo ring. It allows you to run if full tilt or limit the lumens a bit and get some very extended run times. However the MD2 host does not have any flat edges and it will roll off a table. It can tailstand though. You can remedy this by putting a lanyard ring between the tailcap and body. It will then have a slight bulge where the lanyard goes and then it wont roll anymore. The 6Ps as is do not allow for tailstanding but they do have edges and therefore won't roll off a table. And you can always buy a tailcap thats flat to replace the z41 it comes with. Additionally, the Malkoff's come bored and can fit 18650's without any modifications. 6p's will only allow 17670's, but if youre not running li-ions this wont matter.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
As others have said, the 6P will work, but man do I love my MD2. I really wasn't prepared to like it so much, Malkoff just had a deal on turn-key MD2s at the time and it was almost as cheap as the drop in by itself. As it turns out, the MD2 with the Hi/Lo ring and the M61w is my absolute favorite light. Sooooo solid, and the low option with extended run time is great.

Craig K

Enlightened
I am only going to use CR123 primary batteries in this set up so I am leaning towards getting the 6P host.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Although I have a 6P host, I prefer to run my M61HCRI in a C2.

I don't have an MD2, but another option if you are interested in multi-level (high/low) output could be the Elzetta host....

Last edited:

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Malkoff drop in is made for Surefire lights. You should have no problems. I have an M91 in a G2 with an aluminum head. It is surprisingly bright to people familiar with the G2. If you are really concerned check Gene's website or email him. You'll be okay.

CheepSteal

Enlightened
There is a very small gap, probably 0.5 mm on my 6P and Z2 but I remedy this by using a very very thin O ring I scavenged and it fills the gap. When I really crank it down, it provides an extremely solid bezel lockup (no way you will accidentally loosen it) and also adds an extra rubber seal against the elements, ie. dust, sand and water.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several Malkoff dropins as well placed in different Surefire hosts and MD2. Both options work very well!
For using in a 6P I think M61(W)L model is a good choice, a good compromise between brightness and runtime.
For example: M61W (I have it in a camo MD2 with high-low switch) is perceived as slightly brighter than M61WL (I have it in a 6P) but M61WL gives 2,5times the runtime.

Last edited:

Joe Mamma

Newly Enlightened
I ahve a 6P with an M61W. There is definitely a gap.

FYI, there is a bigger gap with the same LED assembly in a G2.

Joe Mamma

Craig K

Enlightened
I ended up getting a Surefire C2 for a fairly good price just waiting for it to ship I am going to use it with a Malkoff M61W... I hope I like it.

FPSRelic

Enlightened
I ended up getting a Surefire C2 for a fairly good price just waiting for it to ship I am going to use it with a Malkoff M61W... I hope I like it.

I have a Surefire C2 with an M61L and I really like mine. As long as you're not expecting to be blown away by brightness. What you have is a very solid, very useable tank of a light.

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff dropins are very well constructed. They do however leave a gap in Surefire hosts.
I've tried them in SF 6P, C2, C3, G2, 3P. The only one that didn't leave a gap was the M2, but even with the shock ring, the contact was shaky at best.
own(ed) M31W, M61, M61LL, M91W

jtblue

Newly Enlightened
Yeah it leaves a small gap and when I had this setup on my 6P dirt would find its way inside this gap but the O-ring prevented anything from actually getting into the flashlight itself. To fix the Malkoff gap on my C2 and to stop the belt clip from wobbeling I just put an M2 bezel on it but as I said before the gap really shouldn't prevent the light from performing at it's peak

ico

Enlightened
What kind of 6P do you guys use as host? Are the old ones who has completely round heads and the new ones with flats on the head exactly the same when used as a host or their inner has little differences?