Repairing bent L4 clip

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my L4 last week (first SureFire and first 5-watter for me -- wow on both counts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif). It's nearly perfect, but the clip was not as tight as I would prefer, and it was also bent to the side by about 2-3 mm. I successfully removed the clip (thanks to instructions by RevDavid in this thread) and carefully straightened the clip. For this purpose, I used a pair of pliers, an folded index card to protect the clip from scratches, and a phone book as a surface to bend the clip against. I have not reassembled the clip yet.

Right now I'm wondering if I should anneal the repaired clip in some manner in order to relax the stress caused by bending the steel. I know that this can actually do more harm than good for certain kinds of high-strength steels. Does anyone here have advice on this kind of metalworking?

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't worry about it. I had to align both my E2e clips (same thing as the L4) by clamping the clip in a plastic jaw vise, and twisting the light. The first was nearly a year ago and I never had a problem. This second E2e is brand new today (I lost the first one). And if it breaks, I'll just call Surefire customer service!