Quark X 2xAA Neutral, or Jetbeam PA40 Neutral?

mmace1

Enlightened
Give me a sign. I prefer the wider spill of the Quark, but the higher runtime/brightness of the PA40 is appealing. Especially as really - I have no practical purpose for this light. At best, I'll be night hiking for an hour at a time nearby with it. It's just for fun. I also like having essentially an updated version of my first CPF light - the Streamlight Propoly 4xAA Luxeon.

That said, the Quark has a low-low (never had before). And...I've considered a Quark 2xAA ever since the first one came out, yet have never quite gotten one. It's also cheaper but eh...I'm resisted buying any McGizmos, and Surefire doesn't appeal to me...so compared to my main hobby (travel), this one is doing pretty OK cost-wise.

I also have a vague idea that the Jetbeam PA40 neutral is unusually cool for a neutral? I've never had a neutral before. That then again - that said....I've decided to get a Quark mini 2xAA neutral, just so I can have an exact-comparison (once I find out the respective color temps) with my current Quark 2xAA mini R5.

Bleh...can anyone make any sense out of this situation and advise? Or just wing it, that can be useful too.

Last edited:

CheepSteal

Enlightened
QUARKQUARKQUARK. :thumbsup:
Most people who enjoy not demolishing their night adapted vision will prefer a moonlight mode. It will be one of your most used modes for midnight bathroom runs or just for dark rooms/movie theaters. I have used both the Quark and PA40 and they aren't really comparable because of their different intended uses.
The PA40 will be better for hiking I guess, because of the runtimes and brightness but the Quark will function much more supremely as an EDC/nightlight.
Also, if you only plan on using two modes as I do with my Quarks (I keep it on moonlight/low and High), I would go for the Tactical model. Saves going through all the flashy light pollution.
Go for the Quark, you might find you like it enough to carry it with you every day (unless you already own a HDS or something).

You also mentioned you like travelling ( I assume airplane travel comes under that ), the Quark is a very friendly light to carry on board and moonlight won't disturb others and will keep you very inconspicuous.

Just my two cents :)

mmace1

Enlightened
I'm going to argue for the sake of good information (cheepsteal) though first - Thanks! Very much. :)

EDC - I don't do. I have a super-tiny DQG II flashlight - don't even EDC that. No need where I live (illumination everywhere). Any 2xAA would be too large for EDC in my mind.

Bathroom - live in studio. And my Quark 2xAA mini (3 lumens in theory) is low enough to not disturb. Though in reality - I don't need anything. Though when traveling - I appreciate that 3-lumen low mode, but it's low enough to not disturb my girlfriend so...it's fine.

PA40 - better at hiking, probably. Sans the spill.

Meh...my flashlights are mostly toys - I prefer the regular model, not tactical (minority I think).

Travel - lately, *all* my travel includes an international flight. Though I have a Quark 2xAA Mini. Good for my man purse. Light/small. On night flights...I think the ambient lighting is enough.

Just wanted to argue back every super-useful-to-consider point of view...! :)

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have the Quark X 2AA but I do have a Quark AA2 R5 NW and a PA40 CW so I can make some comments for you:

-Quark has a moonlight mode, but the PA40 does also have pretty low mode as well
-Quark has much smaller reflector, throw should be significantly lower than PA40.
-Grip is much different, PA40 has that pistol grip style and carbon fiber reinforced fiber body. Fills the hand a bit more but is very comfortable. Quark is alot smaller to grip, it fact it can be held like a pencil since its long and relatively thin.
-Both are nicely current regulated
-PA40 has low battery indicator which is a nice bonus
-Quark is lego-able.

CheepSteal

Enlightened
I'm going to argue for the sake of good information (cheepsteal) though first - Thanks! Very much. :)

EDC - I don't do. I have a super-tiny DQG II flashlight - don't even EDC that. No need where I live (illumination everywhere). Any 2xAA would be too large for EDC in my mind.

Bathroom - live in studio. And my Quark 2xAA mini (3 lumens in theory) is low enough to not disturb. Though in reality - I don't need anything. Though when traveling - I appreciate that 3-lumen low mode, but it's low enough to not disturb my girlfriend so...it's fine.

PA40 - better at hiking, probably. Sans the spill.

Meh...my flashlights are mostly toys - I prefer the regular model, not tactical (minority I think).

Travel - lately, *all* my travel includes an international flight. Though I have a Quark 2xAA Mini. Good for my man purse. Light/small. On night flights...I think the ambient lighting is enough.

Just wanted to argue back every super-useful-to-consider point of view...! :)
Ahh, so you've already got Quarks! lol
With that new information you gave in mind, go for the PA40 then if that's the toy you really want! :)
Have you considered any other XM-L/High powered throwers or is the PA40 exactly what you were searching for?

Btw, you should try to EDC even the tiny DQG, never know when you might need to be the hero for the missus (witness that "glad I had a flashlight moment" thread).

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
They're different beasts really... If you're looking for an EDC, the the Quark is the way to go. If you're looking for a general use light, work light, utility light, the PA40 is the better light. And yes, the PA is quite cool for a neutral light.