Understanding MR16 LED lamps

choppedliver

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone,

Ive had an account here, but I havent been on much. I don't have a whole lot of experience in this hobby. It's more of one of those things where I am not really interested in it until I need to build something, which isn't that often.

For example recently I put ten NiMH cells in series 1.2v x 10 = 12 volts. Put an mr16 led in a waterproof casing. Put them in a tube and made a handheld light waterproof light for wading in salt water. See what I mean? I love fishing. That's why I built it. Not because I'm a huge led hobbyist. But necessity is the mother of learning/invention.

So those batteries said 5000maH on the side. Which is probably overrate, but not really my concern. They last a very long time.

What I am wondering is, don't those MR16's that say they run on 12v, dont those bulbs really operate on the 3-4v range and have some kind of electronics to step the voltage down?

And if that is the case, I know in my old electronics classes 15 years ago, that when you use a transformer, voltage up, current down. Current Up, voltage down. But obviously these don't have an iron core transformer in them. They are converting 12v dc to some smaller voltage if I am not mistaken.

So this is the question.
Assuming source is 12v at 5aH.
Assuming the voltage was regulated down to 3v ( factor of 4) internally in these MR16 bulbs.

does that increase the aH rating by a factor of 4 ?

Thanks in advance

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
These led's do use about 3.7 volts. So in order to provide the proper voltage they have special electronics to step down the voltage, this is called a regulator. There's different kinds some are a linear regulator and simply act like a variable resistor and will simply drop the voltage by converting it to heat. Not good when you're talking dissipating 8 volts at upwards of one amp. There's also another one that acts more like your computer's power supply it's called a buck regulator. They actually do have a sort of transformer in them, it's a ferrite cored inductor and it's tiny, less than a 1/4 inch high. It switches the current really fast in it so it can convert it down and uses fancy electronics to regulate power. If you have a buck circuit it will increase your runtime by approximately 4 times.

But another way to increase efficiency is to not have to convert to such a different voltage. That's why you often see these MR16's with 3 led's 3x3.7v=11.1v That's almost a perfect match for 12 volts so it doesn't need to convert to a really low voltage. This enhances efficiency nicely by matching the running voltage with the power supply voltage.

choppedliver

Newly Enlightened
These led's do use about 3.7 volts. So in order to provide the proper voltage they have special electronics to step down the voltage, this is called a regulator. There's different kinds some are a linear regulator and simply act like a variable resistor and will simply drop the voltage by converting it to heat. Not good when you're talking dissipating 8 volts at upwards of one amp. There's also another one that acts more like your computer's power supply it's called a buck regulator. They actually do have a sort of transformer in them, it's a ferrite cored inductor and it's tiny, less than a 1/4 inch high. It switches the current really fast in it so it can convert it down and uses fancy electronics to regulate power. If you have a buck circuit it will increase your runtime by approximately 4 times.

But another way to increase efficiency is to not have to convert to such a different voltage. That's why you often see these MR16's with 3 led's 3x3.7v=11.1v That's almost a perfect match for 12 volts so it doesn't need to convert to a really low voltage. This enhances efficiency nicely by matching the running voltage with the power supply voltage.

ohh,that makes a lot of sense. The ones I have are 3x3 watts supposedly. so yeah, if they were hooked up in series, I guess they would use that 12v input quite nicely. I guess I just assumed they were internally wired in parallel and taking the 12v and reducing it to 3.7.