Thinking of buying old 3-cell flashlight. Can I update it?

Sci Fii

Newly Enlightened
Looking at buying an old Ray-O-Vac 3 D-cell sportsman. It's on the internet so I can't look at it and I've never seen one before. I'm interested in updating it using 3 C cell LifePO4 batteries and the appropriate bulb. Is there any reason the light would not be able to handle the voltage from these batteries (approximately 10 volts)? Would it be safe? I also assume it allows a simple bulb change to an upgraded PR type one. Any help or thoughts on this are appreciated.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check this out for more information on what can be done with old lights.

FL19.jpg

The back row of lights are the sportsmans. I have one like the 3rd one from the right in the back row, I need to mod it.

Last edited:

Sci Fii

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the link Nitroz. Appreciate the thought. However, I'm really not interested in LED's at all. Maybe someday I'll look at things differently but for now I really only like incans. Something about the light quality of LED's turn me off. No offense to LED folks. It's just a personal thing.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
No problem, I understand.

I am sure someone with some incan knowledge will come along.

Howecollc

Enlightened
The light can easily handle the voltage; if anything, the higher voltage helps with any resistance problems the switch might have.

While most of the older RayOVacs use a PR bulb, something about that reflector picture makes me think it may be a screw-in. Even if it is, you can get some very powerful screw-in type upgraded bulbs from Reflectalite. You can use their 6 volt halogen bulbs with 2 cells but not 3. How high of a wattage you can go will depend on whether the RayOVac reflector is all metal or plastic with only a metal collar for the ground circuit.

edit:
After looking at the picture some more I've decided that I can see the familiar split in the tab common to a PR type bulb. If that's the case and the reflector is plastic, which they almost always are, I think either the Carley CL-808p or Carley CL-809p would be the brightest options that would work well with 3 cells and wouldn't melt the reflector.

-they're listed under "available potted bulbs"
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sh...twire-Bulb-amp-Reflector-Sales-Thread-(part-4

Last edited: