Another [very] old light (1920s)

TurkishCoffee

Newly Enlightened
I'm really not trying not to form a 'collection' here, but I couldn't resist getting another Yale light to go with my 3 D-cell 3101. This time it's a 2D "Spotlight" version, model 2201. Came in excellent condition, the reflector is still a mirror finish. Even with an antique Mazda bulb and carbon batteries it's actually pretty good. I like the compact size of these vintage lights and the zero-plastic construction.

IMG_5072.JPG

3301 and 2201:
IMG_5074.JPG
IMG_5073.JPG

Beamshot, with period bulb and zinc-carbon batteries:
IMG_5071.JPG

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I really liked the way those flat lenses protruding from the light caused the beam to look.

That's an awesome beam shot by the way. It even captured some of the filament shadow. That's not an easy task.

Is the battery a long cardboard tube with 2aa's or actual individual cells?

TurkishCoffee

Newly Enlightened
I have 2 D cells in it, wrapped in paper to keep from rattling. If there was originally a cardboard tube that's long gone.

Lowglow

Newly Enlightened
Wow. Now those I like. They have a look that has never been replicated with reproductions. And still working too - I am definitely a bit envious - in a good way. Nice you have them running too - now you just need to go out on a dark night and enjoy how well some vintage lumens can still light your way.

TurkishCoffee

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for showing us!

What is the black body made from?
Yale adds call it fibre, specifically "specially treated, well-seasoned fibre with a corrugated surface". The outside feels like vulcanized rubber but the inside is papery. I think it's some kind of fiberboard with a waterproof treatment. Available in nickel but personally I prefer the look of the fibre and I haven't seen many nickel for sale anyway.

s-l1600 (1).jpg