M60 in a SolarForce any issues?

Tommygun45

Enlightened
Just ordered an impulse M60 on the MP. All of my MD2's and SF hosts are occupied. Need something to put her in but it needs to be cheap.

Any issues sticking the M60 in a SolarForce host? I haven't had one of these before so its uncharted territory. Will I need any copper or aluminum 'shimming' or whatever? Also is the L2 that is black and 12.99 on lighthound ok? Or should I get the L2 that is 25.99 because it has HAIII? I already have a black CR123 sized extender so I figure I could put 2 18500's in this and run it that way.

purelite

Enlightened
Hi Tommy.

Yes you will more than likely need a spring to go around the base of the malkoff unit in a Solarforce host. The SF host seems to be bit longer/deeper in there where the dropin goes. I suppose you could use something else to get good contact but one of the springs you get with other dropins is the easiset and reliable. I have always had to use the spring in Solarforce hosts with Malkoff. Don get me wrong you can throw the malkoff in there and it will work but I find I get intermittent electrical contact when I bang one of the light or sometimes when tailstanding. Others may not have these problems I always have with this combo

The Solarforce HAIII is a very nice host the HA is well dont. Nice coloring also. It is worthe the extra money because its still cheaper than any other host out there with 18650 compatibility. The TypeII black ones are great also just not as durable of a coating . They match the extensions also which is nice for some. Its too bad they dont make a HAIII extention.

Hop this helps

Tommygun45

Enlightened
That does help, thanks for your input!

Man I dont know what to do. Maybe I will just hold out and piece together a surefire host. I love all the ones I have. I feel like even if I get the Solarforce I won't eventually feel comfortable using it. I want all of my lights to be ultra reliable and solid. If I have to fear bumping it might mess it up, or have some piecemeal situation putting it together I just wouldn't feel comfortable. Come to think of it, maybe Ill just get another MD2 host for it. Maybe one in camo. This is an expensive hobby isnt it?

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
My solarforce hosts have been very solid and reliable despite hard use over 2 years for the oldest ones. The new L2 2011 edition addressed their one issue, which was that they were longer than they had to be, if you order off solarforce-sales website it should be under $15 shipped and is the nicest host I've ever handled, it exudes quality.

purelite

Enlightened
Yeah dont get me wrong here. The Solarforce hosts are a great value. and the HAIII is very nicely done. a Super deal at the price. If you use one of the coil springs that you get with all the other P60 dropins it will perform 100% with the Malkoff Dropins. I am just sayiing with the Solarforce hosts you have a little more room in the head and top of the body or "throat" where the base of the Dropin sits. because of this I ave always found the need to use a spring to get reliable electrical connections with this setup. I have also found if you are into wrapping your dropins for better heat dissipation you will need to use a bit more if whatever materila you are using to get a snug fit in the Solarforce.

BIGLOU

Enlightened
Tommygun45, Since you have the CR123 extender I would recommed gettting the L2M and put them together and you have an 18650 light. You can also just use the L2M and make a Poormans 3P.

Solarforce L2M, CR123 extender, Overready Clipped Delrin Shroud on a Z59 and GG&G Tactical Impact Device.
100_4794.jpg

L2M, Cryos bezel, Xeno Crenelated bezel ring and Moddoo Clipped Z59
DSC03117.jpg