Dilemma: KX2C or LX2

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dear guys
Im deeply poisoned by surefire and now im even interested in their leds
Its heard that LX2 is a nice pocket thrower, and its with surefire's name
But ive got 2 E2e in their coffins and it just like whether i should get a new light or use pre-existing one with new led head
MSRP difference is only $60 but which one should i get
I only use RCR123A/16340 on it and im attracted by the UI of LX2
Whether i should save that $60 and get KX2C or spend $60 more for 1 more body and a better UI
thanks

Size15's

Flashaholic
How will you carry the E2e+KX2C (lets call this combo EX2C) ?
The LX2 has a two-way pocketclip which allows for bezel-down carry. The KX2C is a longer bezel than the E2e's incandescent bezel so it'll ride pretty high and pivot on it's bezel-up pocketclip. You may want to factor in an alternative clip or pouch etc.

The low mode of the LX2 is pretty useful and I've found it easy to 'train' myself to use the low beam first and only transition to the high beam if I really have to.
This approach helps increase runtime and it's great knowing there's always the high beam - all I have to do is 'mash down' on the two-stage push button pressure switch.

Some people don't get on with the two-stage push button pressure switch. Clickie switching floats their boats. If you've never had a two-stage UI flashlight you may not realise you're a clickieman. But the fact you're considering the LX2 is a positive step and being open to it helps!

I've EDC'd single-output clickie flashlights in the past and can't see myself straying from two-stage. Personally I don't see anything that will replace the LX2 as my EDC until a future pocket-carry flashlight features 4FTC...

If you're wanting to use aftermarket rechargeable batteries then it's vital to ensure whichever you choose will be 'happy' powered by your juice of choice. It's not something I can help with as the aftermarket rechargeable scene is beyond me!

Good luck and let us know what you decide, and when you get it, let us know what you think.

Al :D

mbw_151

Enlightened
I had an LX2, loved the UI but there were too many times when the low was too bright. If you don't need 200 lumens on high and 15 Lumens on low, another option is to buy a KX2 head to upgrade your E2e to the current E2L. The E2L worked better for me as an EDC, only once in a great while did I wish the low had more lumens.

If you can live with a single output like the KX2C, you could buy a Malkoff VME head and a Malkoff dropin for less. On the dropins you get a choice of three output/runtime options and two color temperatures. I had an E2D with a VME head and a Malkoff M61WLL that was a great single level EDC. The beam pattern of the Malkoff dropins have a little more spill than the Surefire TIR heads. Some folks have a preference one way or the other.

The Surefire junky CPF thing to do is upgrade one E2e with a KX2 and buy an LX2. Then you've go all the output levels covered! It's a tough decision, so many options. Good luck

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both... well, my wife is using LX2 and I have E2E-BK with KX2C... KX2C and LX2 on high are basically the same (KX2C on LX2 body is dual mode, same thing). E2E-BK+KX2C is a sweet setup but calls for holster when carrying, clip is useless as head is longer, like admin said... but it's black and single clicky mode...

If you're willing to spend serious amount of $ on genuine SF, maybe get LX2... you can use head with E2E (color mismatch) for single mode slim flashlight (you can even swap clips for deep pocket carry)...

Also, getting K2XC other than for retail price is HARD but for the same money you can get NIB or mint LX2 at CPFMarketplace (they pop up every now and then). Also at certain dealers, you can wait for upcoming 15% discounts and order brand new LX2 for price you mentioned -15% and free shipping. :)

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe my local dealer offers about MSRP 20%-23% off for all surefire's light, would it be a bump for me to grab a lx2?

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both as well. From a practical standpoint the LX2 is a better deal as you get the high low option. The LX2 is a great trail light IMHO. The low really projects and the high is great for those WTFWT moments. Couple that with a floody headlamp and your set.

The KX2C with a Z68 tailcap is a defanged E2DL. A very cool looking setup. And if you want a Mini-me version get a KX1A+E1e body+Z68!

Tough choice...