Citizen Quadruples Brightness of White LED

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sweet! I bet would work well to replace/supplement the 10,000 lumen 500 watt halogen work light (hot, firehazzard, trip breakers with 4 heads, not bright enough with only 1-3, bulbs don't last long). I bet the light beam spread is more forward, making the led design seem 4x as bright lumen per lumen. Metal Hallides lack a good form factor for work lights.

All. dependent on price, naturally.

Kinnza

Enlightened
Nice beast!

But I wonder, as with any very high power LED, about thermal management. That emission is at case temp of 25ºC and Tj=55ºC. For real conditions they must be way higher, very aggressive heatsinking required to avoid it cooks up. The really low thermal resistance case to junction (0.3ºC/W) is achieved by COB on aluminium, with no protection diodes. I would like to see this device exposed to thermal cycling and aging when operating at high currents, good reliability would surprise me. But if it is well priced, for some applications it seems a nice option.

Anyway, running it at lower power, 80-85W at 1,5A gets a typical emission of 9890lm, which is very good at 120lm/W. But both color tint and rendition seems horrible, just suited for security lights, garage lighting and so. Cromaticity is directly well over the planckian locus, with a greenish tint.

The choices of CRI80 have way better color, at the cost of 15-20% less lumen. Adequate for most applications, around 100lm/W (1,5A, Tc 25ºC)

deadrx7conv

Enlightened
I hope that their efficacy and efficiency improvements are across their entire product range.

Correction, looks like an entire range of new products:
http://ce.citizen.co.jp/lighting_led/en/
http://ce.citizen.co.jp/lighting_led/en/products/COB_series.html

Once the inventory of old LEDs are used up, we should see an output or efficiency upgrade some of those Ecosmarts that seem to use Citizen LEDs. Should be good to see what next years bulbs will morph too....more light output at same power levels, or same light output at lower power levels and prettier smaller heatsinks.....

SemiMan

Banned
Nice beast!

But I wonder, as with any very high power LED, about thermal management. That emission is at case temp of 25ºC and Tj=55ºC. For real conditions they must be way higher, very aggressive heatsinking required to avoid it cooks up. The really low thermal resistance case to junction (0.3ºC/W) is achieved by COB on aluminium, with no protection diodes. I would like to see this device exposed to thermal cycling and aging when operating at high currents, good reliability would surprise me. But if it is well priced, for some applications it seems a nice option.

Anyway, running it at lower power, 80-85W at 1,5A gets a typical emission of 9890lm, which is very good at 120lm/W. But both color tint and rendition seems horrible, just suited for security lights, garage lighting and so. Cromaticity is directly well over the planckian locus, with a greenish tint.

The choices of CRI80 have way better color, at the cost of 15-20% less lumen. Adequate for most applications, around 100lm/W (1,5A, Tc 25ºC)

From an "easy" standpoint, I see this best managed by some form of active cooling ... heat pipe, etc. Target market is likely to be high bay lighting where a fan is not unreasonable.

Semiman

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
96 lumens per watt and a CRI of 65. Not to be buzz kill, but that's really not much better than the large, Ebay Chinese arrays.

It's not even practical for High Bay lighting because nobody would want to work under it. Parking lots, security etc., are about the only function, and it had better be cheap to compete it that market.

Last edited:

xul

Enlightened
200W in a tiny volume with the surface maintained at 25C must take heroic efforts. Almost certainly they have pushed the cost of ownership of this chip elsewhere.

Last edited:

jashhash

Enlightened
There are literally hundreds of Chinese manufactured LEDs which can meet this performance spec. Totally unimpressive claim especially since the CRI is only 65.

slebans

Enlightened
There are literally hundreds of Chinese manufactured LEDs which can meet this performance spec. Totally unimpressive claim especially since the CRI is only 65.

The spec is 17,675 lumens at 96 lumens per watt from a single LED package. Please post a link as I would like to compare.

clemence

Newly Enlightened
The version 2 of the COBs looks promising. Go figure yourself: http://ce.citizen.co.jp/lighting_led/en/products/notice_Simulator_ver2.html
The excel spreadsheet will hide results with efficacy less than 99 lm/watt. For Cree you can visit: www.pct.cree.com

Cree CXA3050 (the biggest COB Cree currently produce)
23 mm LED die (27.35 mm x 27.35 mm LED package)
5000K 80CRI
I: 1.45A
Vf: 37.2 V
P: 53.686 watt
Tj = 85 C
100% Electrical & Optical Efficiency
5880.4 lm @ 109.5 lm/watt

Citizen CLL032-1212A5
14.5 mm LED die diameter (19 mm x 19 mm LED package)
5000K 80CRI
I: 1.4A
Vf: 38.2 V
P: 53.5 watt
Tj: 85 C
5310 lm @ 99 lm/watt

Citizen CLL042-1218A5-503M1A2
22 mm LED die diameter (28 mm x 28 mm LED package)
5000K 80CRI
Vf: 36.5 V
P: 52.9 watt
6026 lm @ 115 lm/watt

Citizen CLL042-1818A5-503M1A2
22 mm LED die diameter (28 mm x 28 mm LED package)
5000K 80CRI
Vf: 54.9 V
P: 79.5 watt
8590 lm @ 108 lm/watt

Since they don't differ that much, I guess the price and (optics) availability would be the keys