Updating my work light

Me2sleepy

Newly Enlightened
Hello to all CPF members, I'm new and hopefully I'm doing this right...

Looking to update my current work light and I'll like to hear your opinions/advices. Currently I have a Surefire G2 LED. I like the durability and I thought the output was good enough. Lastely I feel like I need more output. Water Resistant/Shock resist/and output is my first concerns. Modes are not necessary and just need something at a reasonable price.

Thank you.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

____I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____keep it reasonable.

3) Format:

____I want a flashlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

____Holster carry.

5) Emitter/Light source:

____LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

____I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

7) What battery type do you want to use?

____I intend to use lithium primary batteries (CR123, CR2, Energizer Advanced/Ultimate Lithium AA/AAA)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

____I want to walk around an unlit rural area (50-150 lumens).
____I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

____Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
____5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

____90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

____I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Flexibly

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.

____Holster

Jekyll & Hyde

Newly Enlightened
J: You could stay within the family and just get one of the G2x models (triple the lumens).

H: Unless of course you are simply feeling more adventurous.

J&H

Me2sleepy

Newly Enlightened
@H, Oh, I'm listening...

@J I thought about the Surefire G2x, (and fenix TK series) but I don't know. for the ~$100 range, I just like to see if CPF'er can tell some of the options.

Last edited:

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you like the Surefire G2, you could just upgrade the LED. The Cree XP-G LED's are brighter and more efficient (longer runtime) than the Surefire P60L you are currently using. An offering such as a Malkoff M61L will give you approximately 175 lumens with a run time is approximately 5 hours on two CR123 primary batteries.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always have trouble wrapping my head around the concept of work and a hand-held light. I can only think of firefighters/EMT and police as those who need a hand-held light for work. But even those folks need both hands to work at times.

Me2sleepy

Newly Enlightened
Malkoff M61L?!?! I didn't know I got "upgrade" options on my G2.... thanks...

A silly question about this? Do I just buy and drop it this in my Surefire G2 and I instantaneously get a new flashing light? Comparable/better than G2X (Don't know what 175 lumens "out the front" really means?

two questions....

Last edited:

Me2sleepy

Newly Enlightened
@davidt1 I agree that hands-free is preferred. However reality ties my hands sometimes. Dirtiest thing I had to do with my G2 was screw tight the tailcap and held with my mouth. :eek:oo: :sick2:

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff M61L?!?! I didn't know I got "upgrade" options on my G2.... thanks...

A silly question about this? Do I just buy and drop it this in my Surefire G2 and I instantaneously get a new flashing light? Comparable/better than G2X (Don't know what 175 lumens "out the front" really means?

two questions....

If I recall correctly there can sometimes be a slight problem getting the drop in replacement to make electrical contact but usually it isn't hard to determine if thats the issue and fix it with foil or something.

Personally I would recommend a Solarforce XM-L from Lighthound...I've got one in my 6P and one in my C2...even though they are smooth reflectors they throw a nice wide flood beam.

flashlight chronic

Enlightened
The M61WL would be a good choice also. I have the M61W and it is very warm in tint, like the color of the sunset. My 6PX has the same LED as the G2X which looks to me like a Cree XPE. Very white tint, bright hotspot and smooth beam w/ good throw. The G2X Pro (high and low output) would be a good choice also, depending on what kind of work you do.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes...you have upgrade options! You can just unscrew the bezel on the G2 and install any number of LED drop-in bulbs. You can switch back and forth if you want. There are lots of LED bulb options out there, however...(now for the semi-technical part)...

Your G2 body is plastic. Plastic has very poor heat dissipation qualities unlike metal which dissipates heat very well. All the LED drop-ins generate heat. In lieu of heatsinking, the Surefire P60L drop-in is designed to lower its output (brightness) when it reaches a specified heat. This makes it suitable for use in a plastic bodied light. Most of the replacement LED drop-ins do NOT have this feature designed into them. With a plastic light, you want to pick a drop-in that has heat sinking designed into it. In my opinion, the Malkoff Devices LED's are the best on the market for this.

You can use any of the non-heatsinked LED drop-ins but you risk burning out the LED due to the heat generated if you let it run for extended periods of time. With that being said, the drop-ins range in price from less than $20 to over $100. I am not familiar with any other LED drop-ins that are heatsinked other than the Malkoff's. Any of the L or LL variant Malkoff modules are fine for extended use in G2's.

Last edited:

Me2sleepy

Newly Enlightened
Good day all,

Just wanted to update you guys on what I ended up getting. It's the Malkoff's Device M61.

I did wanted to get the M61L but they were out of stock on that (and the M61LL). It was great that I can reuse my Surefire G2 LED with it. I personally email MalkoffDevice.com and was reassured that the M61 w/ G2 Led aluminum head wouldn't have any "heating" problem. Most likely, I would not test the limits and luckily I would not be force to on my daily work day.

My only concern at the moment is that the bezel head doesn't screw down all the way like the original head does, leaving a nail's thickness for dust/water intrusion. Can anyone advise me if I'm just too gentle with it and to tighten it with a little more force or should I just invest in a second o-ring of fill in the space?.

Again, Thank you NotRegulated and all the CPF'er that help me make this wonderful choice of a upgrade.

P.S. As a side note to myself, I found out with high enough lumen/lux/etc even the reflection from a near by wall can be, blinding...:duh2:

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just put my M61 into my G2. The bezel screws all the way down with both the plastic bezel and an aluminum 6P pyrex bezel . Did you G2 come with an aluminum bezel?

Try unscrewing the tail cap, take out the batteries, and then put the M61 on. The bezel should screw all the way down. Reinsert battery's and tail cap.

Congrats. The M61 is a top of the line drop-in LED. You made a good choice. I love mine. Use it for a couple of days or a week and come back with a follow-up post to let us know how you like it.

dss_777

Enlightened
Good day all,

Just wanted to update you guys on what I ended up getting. It's the Malkoff's Device M61.

I did wanted to get the M61L but they were out of stock on that (and the M61LL). It was great that I can reuse my Surefire G2 LED with it. I personally email MalkoffDevice.com and was reassured that the M61 w/ G2 Led aluminum head wouldn't have any "heating" problem. Most likely, I would not test the limits and luckily I would not be force to on my daily work day.

My only concern at the moment is that the bezel head doesn't screw down all the way like the original head does, leaving a nail's thickness for dust/water intrusion. Can anyone advise me if I'm just too gentle with it and to tighten it with a little more force or should I just invest in a second o-ring of fill in the space?.

Again, Thank you NotRegulated and all the CPF'er that help me make this wonderful choice of a upgrade.

P.S. As a side note to myself, I found out with high enough lumen/lux/etc even the reflection from a near by wall can be, blinding...:duh2:

Good choice!

Don't worry about the head not screwing down all the way. It's normal, because of a slight difference in overall length of the dropin compared to the G2's unit. The waterproofness of the light is not compromised. The o-ring in there is what keeps the bad stuff out, not the head seating on the body. Don't force it.

Enjoy! Welcome to CPF, and sorry about your wallet! ;)