Looking For A Larger Light

DWood

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a larger light and I'm considering the Olight SR 51. Use is for outdoors, mostly for work at scenes of structure fires (not interior firefighting), and days off when walking the dogs or roaming the yard.

The only requirements are a max output of 800+ lumens, a low (or intermediate), of 200+, and uses CR123 or 18650 batteries.

My EDC is a 120 lumen single CR123 and I always carry it. I want a bigger light that will be used mainly on a low setting of 200+, for decent light with long life, but also has that extra power for the moments that require more light.

The SR 51 seems simple, well built, and reasonably priced. Olight rates it at 900 lumens for 110 minutes and 250 lumens for 10 hours. I don't require the strobe but it doesn't hurt anything.

What other lights compare with my output requirements as well as use CR123s or 18650s.

PS I saw the legthy questionaire on asking for recommendations but my requirements are simple, as stated, and I'm just trying to sort out what other lights I should look at.

PSS I'm pretty new to lights and the amount of info and technology is way past my experience with the old Mini-Mag lights!

PSSS I'm really lost on the various 18650 battery ratings, but that's for another post.

Thanks.

Last edited:

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an Olight SR51. 2 levels. Low is a little bright. High is Wow! Look at that! It's about the size/feel of the old 2D flashlight. I like the side switch. Batteries last a looooooong time.

DWood

Newly Enlightened
I have an Olight SR51. 2 levels. Low is a little bright. High is Wow! Look at that! It's about the size/feel of the old 2D flashlight. I like the side switch. Batteries last a looooooong time.

HW, when you say low is bright, how are you using it, indoors or out? My use will be strictly outdoors. What batteries are you using?

cummins4x4

Enlightened
Another vote for the SR51, low setting is very usable IMO, not to bright, I use it outdoors only. Battery life is very good, I am using AW2900's. Haven't tried it with CR123's.

DWood

Newly Enlightened
I ordered one from batteryjunction last night. Now I have to figure out what batteries to run.