Looking for EDC

01xr650r

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone! I am looking for a new EDC flashlight. I have a few wants/requirements I'll list below.

-Preferably single cell format not sure on AA or CR123
-Must be able to run on lithium ion, or primary cells
-Needs to have a pocket clip
-I would like to have a usable low when using lithium-ions
-3 modes would be nice, I don't care for strobes or SOS but that won't make me not buy a light
-Preferably comes on Low, or Medium then Low
-I would like to spend less than $80ish with charger and a few lithium ion cells
-Would like 350-400ish lumens on high with lions, I don't care if it is only usable for a few minutes at a time, but would like at least 45ish minute run time

I haven't really been able to find a light yet, but maybe you all have some suggestions. I liked the xeno e03 xm-l but it seems to lack a good low mode. I can't think of any others I have seen off the top of my head, but maybe you guys have a better idea. Right now I have some sipik zoom single AA flashlight, it works alright, but I need something a little brighter, and with more than one mode. So I'm up for suggestions. I would like to have a little throw, nothing major, but 30-40m usable on high would be nice. It will be used for dark rooms at night, checking backyard (need to light up close to 100ft), and inspecting engine compartments and such. Like I said, under $80 with a decent charger and 2 lions would be really nice, but I guess I could spend more if need be. But that would be taking away from a future thrower light :naughty:

Thanks for any suggestions :thumbsup:
Josh

dheim

Newly Enlightened
give a look at new jetbeam models... the PA10 looks very promising, with 650 lm on turbo (with a 14500)... i don't know if li-ions will give you low, though

Chidwack

Enlightened
Shiningbeam makes a little light that works on AA, Li/ion 14500 or CR123 batteries and it's less than $40. It's called the I-mini and it has a pocket clip. I don't have one yet but I do have the S-mini that uses 1x18650 battery and I love that light.

01xr650r

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for suggestions, I hadn't seen that jetbeam or shiningbeam one yet, they both looks nice! I wanted to stick to single cell for size reasons. I don't think I would always carry it if it was too big.

I've been a CPF reader forever, and I'm finally getting ready to buy a few decent lights, I never had the time, or money to really look into them until now. My biggest issue is trying to decide whether to go lion or not. It seems quite expensive to buy into though! I'm looking at a nice big light too, like the tk41 or sr51 or similar. But just like with the EDC I can't decide on lion or not. I have around 25 rechargeable AA, with 8 or 10 being eneloops, so maybe staying that way is better? I wouldn't mind having 400+ lumens in my hand from a AA powered light :naughty::naughty:

I wouldn't mind going for lithiums, but it seems like most people say the cheaper xxxxfire brands aren't worth it, and the same about cheaper chargers, but there must be diminishing returns somewhere? Maybe I just gotta bite the bullet and buy some. Are the IMR, or Redilast worth 2-3x the price of the cheaper ones?

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you go with RCR123 & CR123A, check XTAR WK21(XM-L T6) light. AW rechargeable batteries are nice & safe.

fvdk

Newly Enlightened
If you go with RCR123 & CR123A, check XTAR WK21(XM-L T6) light. AW rechargeable batteries are nice & safe.

2X

I just ordered one myself. If you buy it on eBay, user chinaqualitygoods is the actual XTAR company and their service is impeccable.
AW batteries are top notch but the XTAR's together with the MP2 charger also make a very nice and affordable combination.

01xr650r

Newly Enlightened
Hi, been quite busy so haven't responded in a while. In my spare time I've done some reading and decided on the S-Mini, I just ordered it today. I also ordered a solarforce l2m for fun, with the 3 mode xm-l drop in. Got a xtar wp6 charger and some tenergy 2600 batteries. They seemed to have good discharge curves from reviews on blf. If they end up not being that great I guess I'll just pony up and buy some Redilast or similar batteries. But I don't care about getting every last second of run time, when I really think about it I'll probably never be in a situation to need it.

So now I'm looking for one more light, then hopefully I won't buy any for a while :p Maybe mod the l2m or get a new host hehe! But anyways I want to get one good thrower, I'm thinking something that runs on 18650s would be nice. I sort of like the eagletac m3c4 xm-l, I like that it has a good low and still puts out ~45k lux. Any opinions on that versus the sr51? I'm hoping to spend 150 or less including shipping. I do a lot of camping and outdoor stuff when I can get some free time and I would love to have a WOW light like that. At some point I may mod a maglite, but lately I haven't even had time to work on the off-road lights I wanted to make.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi everyone! I am looking for a new EDC flashlight. I have a few wants/requirements I'll list below.

-Preferably single cell format not sure on AA or CR123
-Must be able to run on lithium ion, or primary cells
-Needs to have a pocket clip
-I would like to have a usable low when using lithium-ions
-3 modes would be nice, I don't care for strobes or SOS but that won't make me not buy a light
-Preferably comes on Low, or Medium then Low
-I would like to spend less than $80ish with charger and a few lithium ion cells
-Would like 350-400ish lumens on high with lions, I don't care if it is only usable for a few minutes at a time, but would like at least 45ish minute run time

I haven't really been able to find a light yet, but maybe you all have some suggestions. I liked the xeno e03 xm-l but it seems to lack a good low mode. I can't think of any others I have seen off the top of my head, but maybe you guys have a better idea. Right now I have some sipik zoom single AA flashlight, it works alright, but I need something a little brighter, and with more than one mode. So I'm up for suggestions. I would like to have a little throw, nothing major, but 30-40m usable on high would be nice. It will be used for dark rooms at night, checking backyard (need to light up close to 100ft), and inspecting engine compartments and such. Like I said, under $80 with a decent charger and 2 lions would be really nice, but I guess I could spend more if need be. But that would be taking away from a future thrower light :naughty:

Thanks for any suggestions :thumbsup:
Josh

350-400 lumens on a 1xAA or 1xCR123 sized light means that you're almost certainly looking for a light with an XM-L led. You won't get 45 minutes on high with that amount of lumens on that sized battery. Also, because most small XM-L emitter flashlights tend to be very floody. The large low-surface brightness emitter coupled with a small reflector makes it very hard to have a tightly focused beam.

What you can get in that size range is a relatively bright flashlight that will run for 25-30 minutes on max when used in short bursts. Some suggestions:

1. Xeno E03 - On 14500 produces close to 500 lumens. This is a very floody light with minimal throw, but still might be sufficient for checking out a backyard. It's well-built, inexpensive, and is available in a variety of colors and tints. Also runs on AA, but is much less bright. Comes on Medium, low then high (I think... I might be misremembering the order). One downside is the low mode is more of a medium on 14500. This light doesn't really have a real low. No mode memory.

2. Thrunite 1A or 1C - very bright on li-ion cells. Unlike the Xeno, these lights do have very low lows and it has mode memory so you can preset the light to turn on in a specific mode. Good knurling for a nice grip. Cost is probably over your budget though.

3. Zebralight SC51 or SC31 - very small with electronic switch. Excellent performance even on alkaline batteries. Won't give 350-400 lumens though.

The new Jetbeam PA10 looks intriguing for its small size and 650 lumens on 14500. However, reports on CPF forums are that when used on 14500, the light only has one mode.... all of the lower brightness modes cease to work. To my mind this makes the light worthless for EDC.

Last edited:

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shiningbeam makes a little light that works on AA, Li/ion 14500 or CR123 batteries and it's less than $40. It's called the I-mini and it has a pocket clip. I don't have one yet but I do have the S-mini that uses 1x18650 battery and I love that light.

The S-Mini is a great light. Its very well built and lightweight. I have an XPG version and it has a great tint. The only thing I don't like about it is the knurling it too aggressive... it actually tore up the inside of my pocket when I tried to carry it in my pants.

Shiningbeam also has great customer service. I recommend them.

Nonprophet

Newly Enlightened
I think the ultimate EDC right now is a Quark 2AA X (XM-L) head on a Quark 1AA body with a 14500 power source. Small, light, dependable, 280+ lumens, excellent low and moon modes, 10 year warranty.....I'm using one and I absolutely LOVE it!!!

NP

01xr650r

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the help, I ended up with the S-Mini and I really like it. Plenty bright for what I need, and it fits in my back pocket next to my wallet quite easily, and doesn't seem intrusive. Run time was nice, I was testing it with some old Sony laptop batteries I had, and got around 2 hrs before it seemed to dim on high, and about 2.75 hours before the 3v voltage cutoff kicked in. So with newer/better batteries it should have more run time.

I also ordered an Eagletac m3c4 single xm-l, so now the only thing I'll most likely get is a few of the 3100mah batteries. Probably just 3, 1 set for each light. I have a lot of other 18650s laying around from laptops, and I got a 4 pack of the tenergy ones. Hopefully the addiction doesn't take over and make me buy more lights lol!!! For a while all I had was shitty 2d rayovac incandescent around the house, now I have these lights!

Mr_Zombie

Newly Enlightened
I second that, I love my Quark AA. I think I might try a HDS soon though.

I think the ultimate EDC right now is a Quark 2AA X (XM-L) head on a Quark 1AA body with a 14500 power source. Small, light, dependable, 280+ lumens, excellent low and moon modes, 10 year warranty.....I'm using one and I absolutely LOVE it!!!

NP

01xr650r

Newly Enlightened
Hey NonProphet what's the run time like on high? Showed the s-mini to a few family members and I might give it to one for christmas, so now I have the bug to buy another light. The quarks look quite cool with the lego thingy going. Is going with the aa vs the 123 just a preference on thicker or longer, because if I remember right they both have similar capacities for lions?