Stream light sl-20 5*xml mod. Need advice!!!

tommydonovan

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,

I am modding a stream light sl-20. I have a dx reflector/heatsink and 5 XML t6's. I have an upgraded battery in the light. A 6v 3500MaH NiMH. The reflector can be seen here:
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/53mm-3...nd-accessories-for-5-cree-xr-e-emitters-18842

It fits into the light well. My question is what should I use for a driver. Ideally I would have one that would run the LEDs at full current (3A) if for only a short time and have a lower constant use mode (1A each- still about 2000 lumens I think) I've thought about direct driving them and figured that the five of them in parallel would sag the battery far enough to not blow them up(surely that battery back cannot deliver more than 15A?) this would probably damage the battery? Or start a fire? Lol. I don't want to change batteries because I like the fact that I can drop this whole light into the charging cradle.

I am fairly new to this so forgive my ignorance ;) how should I drive them? Or with what? Thanks in advance.

yazovyet

Enlightened
I'm going t go out on a limb and say direct drive is a bad idea, sagging a battery down that far can't be good for it. more importantly about direct is that you'd be putting out 15+ amps and that would likly be enough to run into problems with melting wires and switches. lastly, if your battery doesn't sag enough or if one of the leds lets more current through than the rest you could end up kiling one of them

simplec6

Enlightened
I don't think those xre reflectors are going to be an optimal reflector for your xmls.

The_bad_Frag

Enlightened
I dont think your battery pack can deliver 50 watts. This driver -> http://pcb-components.de/index.php?...roduct_id=107&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=64 can handle 5 XM-L in series @1500mA with an input voltage of 6V. I dont think theres any stronger boost driver. It can handle up to 3A but only with more voltage. Max input ampere is 7A on that driver.

If you want modes with that driver you will need another PWM controller board. Its also available there.

Last edited:

houtex

Enlightened
Get in contact with Techjunkie. He modded my SL2o and he is a wiz at the drivers,led, battery math.

tommydonovan

Newly Enlightened
Wow! I continue to be impressed with the quality of the members on this site. It's nice to post something and get feedback immediately! Thank you all very much for your input and suggestions. What would a good optic be for these leds? I will look into that boost driver as well. I would post more often, if I knew more, lol. Slowly, but surely....

tommydonovan

Newly Enlightened
Will the Led Senser Xtreme handle 5v input. The Nimh will probably dip that low when its close to dead I think? That one looks good. I looked at the Taskled and it will definitely handle the voltages in question but will only provide about 1000 Ma at most, probably less after doing the math and going thru the formulas on the website?

Thanks in advance!

simplec6

Enlightened
A d2flex is a great choice for 5 xmls and probably what I am going to use for my 6xml build. You should run about 20volts and you'll be good to go.

tommydonovan

Newly Enlightened
How do you recommend I get to 20 volts? I'd like something that I don't have to modify a lot. I've looked at LiIon 26500's but can only get 3 in the flashlight which is only ~12 volts.