Lenser X21R

Karl666

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have any beamshot comparisons for the new lenser X21R ?
It would be good to see it compared to some of the other big 1000+ lumen torches.

Regards
Karl.

tolkaze

Enlightened
The X21R is the rechargeable version of the X21? I suspect it would have a similar beam pattern to the old X21 depending on the LED's it uses. The old one used XR-E chips, so in throw it was pretty tight, this new version is claiming 1500 lumens (I have seen 1068, 1400, 1500 and 1600 Lumens advertised for the X21R... typical Led Lenser marketing) and the throw has gone from 500m to 620?m.

Karl666

Newly Enlightened
I have recently purchased the X21R and the packaging indicates 1600 lumens. I got to admit its as bright as hell and has quite a throw on it.
Ive been looking at the SR90 for the last few weeks and have finally taken the plunge and ordered one tonight.

Karl666

Newly Enlightened
My SR90 arrived today. I've been out tonight doing a few beamshot comparisons with my X21R. I have to say that on first impressions there is very little difference in reach. If I was pushed to make a decision i'd probably give the lenser the edge. The SR90 has a slightly cooler tint than the X21R and the beam is tighter. The tests were far from being scientific. Just a quick observation over a dark field seeing how far they could throw and the brightness of the illuminated target.

I remember reading somewhere on here that the SR90's 2200 lumens were not the same as the lumen measurements by todays standard. The person on the thread was saying its really about 1700 by todays standard. I would agree with that because the X21R packaging stated 1600 lumen and both these torches appear to be putting out about the same.

I hope someone finds this useful. I havent really seen any X21R reviews, let alone against the mighty SR90. To my untrained eye i'd call them a fairly even match.

Karl666

Newly Enlightened
Finally worked out how to upload images. Quick shot of the X21R looking down into the carpark from one of our company buildings

6962860073_737e9cfc18_b.jpg

Rikr

Newly Enlightened
Finally worked out how to upload images. Quick shot of the X21R looking down into the carpark from one of our company buildings

6962860073_737e9cfc18_b.jpg

Can you post a picture of the SR90 next to it to give us an idea how they compare. Thank you...

Karl666

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Unfortunately I don't work at that location anymore. I took these while waiting for my SR-90 to arrive. I did manage to get back into the car park for a comparison shot but I didn't have my camera with me. All I will say is that the target was just as bright but with a much narrower beam pattern. I've taken both out on walkabouts and there is not really that much in it to be honest with you. It's the focusing system that the lenser has that gives it the edge in my opinion. The X21R can be focused for throw and flood. The flood setting is amazing at close quarters. I've attached another image of the X21R in throw mode. As you can see, it easily lights up the front of this building.

If you have the money then get both :devil:
If you only have enough for one then it would be the X21R.

The SR90 can throw a little further but let's face it. The spot that it casts at extreme distances is like looking at an object through a toilet roll. It's bright but I'd rather have the X21R where the object is just a little dimmer but the area of illumination is considerably wider.

6818794134_d5c109953c_b.jpg

Karl666

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

The light is regulated and has something called SLT ( Smart Light Technology ). The "R" is the rechargeable version and has an increase in lumen output over the standard X21 unit.

Regards
Karl.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
A friend of mine is interested in X21R.
Is there anyone who have tried it more carefully? I would like some runtime graph to see how well the regulation works.

Last edited: