Best aspherical lens?

DKlaser

Enlightened
I have the cheapo aspherical lens from DX and I also see that they have a 75mm aspherical lens that seems to be of a bit better quality. Are there any other aspherical lens out there in ther 52mm diameter range?

MikeAusC

Enlightened
The problem with DX in general, and lenses especially, is variable quality. You might get a great example of an SKU this week, but put in another order and you'll get a similar looking product, but that performs badly.

Look at user feedback on these SKUs for a guide - 101914, 12834, 13569, 43044, 44653, 13618, 43045, 43043, 4558, 13736.

These lenses can be found in the category "Flashlight Parts and Tools".

willieschmidt

Newly Enlightened
The problem with DX in general, and lenses especially, is variable quality. You might get a great example of an SKU this week, but put in another order and you'll get a similar looking product, but that performs badly.

Look at user feedback on these SKUs for a guide - 101914, 12834, 13569, 43044, 44653, 13618, 43045, 43043, 4558, 13736.

These lenses can be found in the category "Flashlight Parts and Tools".

+1 1st order primo lens, 2nd order same lenses sh!t quality.

Al Combs

Enlightened
There are a couple of things worth remembering about DX. It's not a good idea to order several of the same lens so you can pick the best one from the lot. They usually throw them in the same bubble bag and they all get chipped.:sick2: Having several individual orders for the same lens would be a way around that. Shipping only costs a penny so there's no downside to it. But you have to check to see if they've shipped the first before you order the second, or third, etc. Otherwise your first order will still be in the queue. You'll end up with multiple orders for the same lens in the same bubble bag and again you've got chips.:sick2:

Shipping Translation:
DX and KD both have a not altogether undeserved reputation for taking months to ship sometimes. Emails of complaint to that effect will likely go unanswered. At their price point you just can't expect customer service better than that. You have to carefully check the stock status of something before you order it.

DX_Shipping.gif

The first one that says "In Stock" would be the only time to order. If it's "sold out" in red, their system won't even let you add it to the cart. But it's that "Typically" in the middle you have to watch out for. AFAIK, it means their supplier is telling DX it's in stock, same as DX is telling you.:devil: Depending on what it is, it might be more realistic to think in terms of 4 to 7 weeks. Better to check back in a week and see if it still says it's going to take a week. That way they're not sitting on your money. I live in New York State and it usually takes 8 to 10 days for something I've ordered to arrive. But only if it's in stock when I order it.;) Orders over $15 get sent registered mail and require a signature. That could be good or bad depending on how you look at it. Don't order 5 of a 3$ lens just to get registered mail service. See "chips" above.:)