EagleTac P20A2 MKII XM-L 2AA vs 4Sevens Quark "X" AA² CREE XM-L

qt11

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking at one of these lights as my next purchase.

What do you guys think, pros and cons for each. Does one easy win over the other? If so why ?

Cheers
Alan

:wave:

vickers214

Enlightened
The et takes drop ins do you can update the led as new ones come out, saving a small fortune on a full new light, also et get the better tint led's, quark s have been known to be green, google it you will see.the quark however is a useful bit more compact, just if size is an issue

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tough call but I'd give the nod the the Quark because with the Tactical model I can program my own outputs plus I can lego with other Quarks, Quark AAx2 X on a 1xAA body is pretty cool.

Danjojo

Newly Enlightened
EagleTac - a bit better battery life on higher outputs, more throw, change out LED module for $23-25, nice diffuser and rubber tailcap cover

Quark X - brighter higher outputs, more flood, more pocket friendly, lego ability if you end up buying more models

If your preference for the UI and throw of the EagleTac is strong enough it would be a good choice, but if you like the Regular or Tactical UI of the Quark you can get them for a lower price. You just missed the X Tactical's going for $45 but still a few bucks less.

I had looked for a while at these 2xAA lights and a couple others before actually settling on an EagleTac P20C2. I don't get to use the Eneloop's like I had wanted but the power, size, and UI is perfect and had a chance to get a like new demo for $62.

InquisitiveInquirer

Enlightened
I'd go for quark x. I've used both and i just find the quark to be more pocketable. Also, for the eagletac, i noticed that when you switch modes, instead of instantly going to the set brightness, it sort of slowly transitions to it. It's not a big thing, but it kinda bugs me. Eagletac has a nice ss bezel though and you can use diffusers and different color lenses, which the quark can't do if you're in need of that.

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
I have both lights (with R5 emitters). Additionally, I have each of these lights in AA and CR123 versions.

My Quark 123*2 'Tactical' is still my favored EDC light. My Quark 123*2 XM-L is too floody and burns up batteries quicker.

The P20A2 is my nightstand light. Very nice light.

If you're torn between two lights - then GET THEM BOTH! :)

-

Richsvt

Newly Enlightened
Just got the quark and it was well worth it. Very nice light. Didn't hurt that I got it at 30% off for the last sale. Like the programability.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
...........Also, for the eagletac, i noticed that when you switch modes, instead of instantly going to the set brightness, it sort of slowly transitions to it. It's not a big thing, but it kinda bugs me........

I've seen people complain about "preflash" on the Quarks. Looks like EagleTac is the opposite condition. Neither is a serious issue when it comes to flashlights and what is going on has to do with the stability (frequency response) of the feedback closure loop. Whether its intentional or overlooked when designing the driver circuit is hard to know. My guess with the EagleTac is that it was an intentional design and with the Quarks is kind of like an oops. I have the Quark and it only does it at lower modes transitions but I use medium and high and don't see it.

It's a function of the frequency response of the closed loop system. Too much gain in the feedback loop results in over-shoot (pre-flash) and less gain results in slower response. It's a balance between what is important. In flashlights it doesn't matter other than preference. In flight controls on airplanes it's very important.

The drive circuit in a current regulated LED flashlight is nothing more than a switching power supply converting whatever the input voltage is to an output voltage that will maintain the determined current. This is all set by a feedback voltage derived from the LED current so that the output holds the value as set by the command (low, med or high). When the light is first turned on or if the light is transitioning modes there is moment in time where the feedback does not match the new command and so the error amplifier that is driving things will deviate to either full on, full off or somewhere in-between and this transitioning response is controlled by the value of a couple of resistors and capacitors called the compensation of a feedback network.

Well that was probably more info than needed.

Last edited:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the pre-flash is gone in all the Quark X models, I have the Quark Turbo X - Quark 123x2 X Tactical and the AAx2 X Tactical and none have pre-flash. Of course I can't speak for every Quark X made but with the X models I have and from reading other "X" owners it seems to be true unless someone else knows otherwise.

jdhermit

Newly Enlightened
Hey, I know this post is a month old, but interested in it, as I'm looking at either the P20A2 or Quark X AA2 (both AA and both XM-L, obviously).

Chevy-SS, (or anybody with a comment for that matter), :)
you said you have all of them, and the P20 is your night stand light, and that the XM-L version of the Quark was too floody and ran through batt's...
Could you possibly expand on any of that?

Too floody, for...? What use? And are you saying the XML is harder on batt's than the XPG versions?

Just trying to figure this all out, and am kinda set on one of the two for an all purpose around the house (including bumps in the night use :eek:) so I want to make sure I get it *close* to right.

Thanks!
JD