MRV Q5 - am I crazy?

tjswarbrick

Enlightened
Greetings,
I have a SF 6P/M61, (other SF) L2P/NB XR-E Optic, Tiablo A7, and EagleTac P20C2MKII NW.
Still, my best thrower has got to be the LuminTop TD15x.
I haven't crossed over to rechargeables yet, and run all these on SF 123 primaries.
I've been wanting a Catapult, but short on discretionary funds for a light I probably won't use THAT much. As such, I've been considering a Seraph MiniTurbo D36 head with NB SMO XR-E, or an SF Masterpiece head, for an L2 host.
I just found a Lumapower MRV Q5 on DD for under $20.
(I ordered it before putting this out there - don't know if there are any left.)
Their site says 1x18650, but I read a review where it throws much better on 2xCR123.
I know it won't throw as well/far as the MP-1 or the Catapult, but from the reviews I've seen it'll keep up with anything less that's not Aspheric (DBS, A10, etc.)
Am I missing something? Is there some caveat I should be aware of with this light (particularly on CR123's)?
Or did I just get the deal of the century?

Please, share your thoughts. I'm so excited to get a "real" thrower from a quality company for so little, I can't even contain myself.
Merry Christmas to Me! (And to all of you, too.)

- Tom

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never purchased anything from the dealer you mention and I don't mean to make any accusations, but there have been a lot of counterfeits of this model sold by asian dealers over the last several years. I hope the one you receive is the real thing.

coolperl

Newly Enlightened
This flashlight you bought, is not genuine Lumapower product. But it's not that bad made (I owned it) and it really throws.

But I wouldn't run it on 2xCR123. The circuit is designed to run from 1x18650. You may fry it, when the voltage will be too high.

tjswarbrick

Enlightened
Thanks guys.
I've never used dd before, and was afraid it may be a fake, but over at the BLF people buy from these guys all the time.
Still, for the price, it might be worth trying out as a "hi-beam" for my bike. Should be fun to play with.
Perhaps I'll figure out how to extend it for 2xAA, or just use it to drain down my "dead" 123's that won't play in the other lights anymore.
Hopefully I'll at least learn something.
Any easy (non-destructive) way to tell what the "max" voltage might be???

tjswarbrick

Enlightened
The MRV came in over the holidays.
It says lumahunter q5.
I tried a couple of run-down CR123's in it (one measured 2.4V, the other 2.5.) I got a tight spot, extremely dim spill, and a rough estimate 30 lumens out of the thing.
I then dropped in a pair of brand-new SureFire CR123's.
Bright, tight spot, ringy but broad spill, and probably around 200 lumens.
No chance to play with it outside.
Seems well made. The reverse-clicky is a little tight, but overall not bad.
In the silver "control ring" supposed to move?
I don't know that it'll be one of the favorites, but for under $20, on fresh CR123's, I must say it exceeds all expectations...
Unless/until it goes "Poof"...