• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

vinhnguyen54 How Clean A P60 Reflector

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
How to clean a P60 flashlight reflector

Hello all!
I have a few tips to help everyone clean P60 Reflectors. You can use these methods on other reflectors too but my method works particularly well with a P60 reflector. I do want to warn everyone ahead of time that my procedures could get/sound very very awkward and sensitive. It's definitely not for everyone. Do not hold me accountable for any mishaps. Thank You for understanding.

Never use anything and I mean anything even the softest thing you can find and try to use it to clean a reflector. Even if you use soap and cotton you will get swirls or scratches. Actually…Um you are fee to try and if you are successful please report back here. Ok here is my method.
For this purpose. I will pretend the contamination are finger prints.

Step 1: Remove your reflector from the pill and drop it into a cup. Preferably a glass cup as glass is easy to clean at the end.

Step 2: Fill the cup with water and hand washing soap.

Step 3: Seren wrap the top of the cup and shake the cup violently for 3 minutes. Remove te reflector from the cup and rinse thoroughly with water until all the soap is gone.

Step 4: Use a condense air duster to blow out all of the water drops from inside the reflector. Hold the air can up right and blow a little into the air first to make sure no fluid will fly out. Continue to hold the can upright and move the reflector around until the water drops are all blown away. Do not move the can as it can make fluid spit out and ruin your reflector even worse. If the drops are not completely blown out they will leave residue drop shape behind after they evaporate.

Step 5: Check to see if the reflector is now clean of fingerprints. If not repeat step 2, 3, and 4 but with these increasing strength soaps. Try dish washer soap and then clothing deterrent soap.

Step 6: If all fails try this step. Again, I know this step will be sensitive to most people….But here goes…By now your reflector should be mostly clean since you have rinse it many times with water but of course the fingerprints are still there that why we are performing this last step…There is nothing more moist or softer than your tongue so it make sense that it has the capabilities to clean the reflector. Yes that's right, your tongue. Slowly spin the inside of the reflector around the tip of your tongue and anything that can be removed will be removed. Flush your mouth and the reflector with water afterwards.
Please be careful of cuts…I know it might be much better sometime to just buy a new reflector rather than performing my steps…But I thought I would share anyway. I am apologize if you think step 5 is a little sick. Dont forget to air blow the reflector dry again.

Last edited:

brandocommando

Enlightened
I have a $700 pair of binoculars that I use for hunting. I clean all the dust off of the eyepieces with my tongue before wiping them off with a T-shirt or something all the time when I am out in the woods...
Sounds gross, but it sure beats rubbing a bunch of dust and dirt into the glass and scratching the crap out of them!

As far as reflectors go, I just carefully wipe them out with a lens cloth, (only if I HAVE to get a fingerprint or some nyogel off.)
I have ruined a couple of reflectors this way, but then I just buy new ones, they're cheap!

The rest of the time, I always use my 120psi air compressor...

Rule #1 never touch the inside of a reflector!

Last edited:

Taipan

Newly Enlightened
Step 6: If all fails try this step. Again, I know this step will be sensitive to most people….But here goes…By now your reflector should be mostly clean since you have rinse it many times with water but of course the fingerprints are still there that why we are performing this last step…There is nothing more moist or softer than your tongue so it make sense that it has the capabilities to clean the reflector. Yes that's right, your tongue. Slowly spin the inside of the reflector around the tip of your tongue and anything that can be removed will be removed. Flush your mouth and the reflector with water afterwards. Please be careful of cuts…I know it might be much better sometime to just buy a new reflector rather than performing my steps…But I thought I would share anyway. I am apologize if you think step 5 is a little sick. Dont forget to air blow the reflector dry again.

LOL, you're safe! Some time ago out of desparation, I once "tongued" my friend's precious Enya CD to banish my fingerprints quickly. But the worst experience was having my tongue stuck to a frozen SS cocktail mixer while sipping some leftover Margarita.

Norm

Retired Administrator
For those of you interested, search CPF for "cleaning a reflector", you will find quite a few threads.

Norm

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
One thing you might want to consider is rinsing the reflector with distilled water rather than normal water. That should make mineral deposits on the lens as the water dries pretty much a non-issue.

An ultrasonic bath is another item that can be employed in an attempt to loosen stubborn stains and particles.

ps - while we're in a confessional mood, I have been known to lick the lenses of my glasses when they need a good clean and I don't have the proper materials to hand. Spit and polish in the truest sense of the term.

purelite

Enlightened
Boy, in my area we have hard water. even with a can of air or a compressor the water always leaves a cloudy residue behind. I would definitley use distilled water to do this. even then I would take special care in choosing a detergent or soap to use.

I would just like to get all the dust and crap off my Malkoff dropins. I have tried high pressure air blasts with no success. Its amazing how "sticky " dust can get and the Malkoffs seem to all come loaded with crap on the reflectors. I have tried about 5 or 6 this year and all the same. Good advice abut moisture coming out of those air cans. I have had that happen before and it des ruin the reflector right quick!!!

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL I cant do a video for that LOL I was hecka nervous doing a video on how to wrap a P60 drop in!
Don't be, it was a nice video.
I'd rather see a girl showing step6 :) But that vid might get you banned hehe:whistle:
Nice tip, i'll try it the next time i mess up a reflector.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Don't be, it was a nice video.
I'd rather see a girl showing step6 :) But that vid might get you banned hehe:whistle:
Nice tip, i'll try it the next time i mess up a reflector.

May be I can talk my GF into this ... Hmmmmm.... ;-)

Illum

Flashaholic
Really tongue? No way, gotta try this...

I'd examine the lamp to see if the envelope is damaged first, I don't like the thought of performing such an intimate act with something that shot glass into my wrist inches away... but granted that wasn't a P60 lamp, it was a WA1185.

Status
Not open for further replies.