Does anyone own a Inova INFORCE 6VX? (Noise issue)

d2eux

Newly Enlightened
This could be nothing - but I wanted to check in to be sure.

I ordered a Inforce 6VX from opticsplanet and it just came in today. Fit and finish are excellent and the flood/spill is pretty good. However, there is a small "Buzzing" noise around the bezel and I am not sure if it is coming from the "heat-releasing venting system" on the head. If anyone else has the light and wishes to comment please feel free!

radu1976

Enlightened
I did have one about one year ago. But I didn't notice the problem you are mentioning ...
I remember it had a good throw and very smooth beam but when I did a runtime with a 2 x RCR123s I only got 20-25 min !? The batteries were good so it seemed like the flashlight itself was inefficient - maybe my sample it was - So I had to let it go ... my LX2 puts same lumens - 200 - but I got 1-1:10hrs with 2 RCR batteries.
Ceiling bouncing test had shown that the lights were virtually identical as brightness.
I got after a 6V - 120 lumens - which runs for 1.5hrs on 2 RCR123s ... I like as it's much more balanced ; still decent throw but probably half of the lux 6VX puts.

d2eux

Newly Enlightened
someone here mentions the buzzing to be called "inductor whine."
http://flashlight.talkwhat.com/view/EmMnzRiCiCsG.html
What you're hearing is the sound of the inductor coil vibrating as electricity packs into it and then gets dumped out, several thousand times per second (hence the high pitch of the sound).
Make sure everything is tight inside the tailcap, and you are getting a good connection between the tailcap and body. One of my lights does this also and I eliminated most (but not all) of it, with a little sanding, cleaning, and tightening.

Someone reviewed the inforce 6VX here and mentions buzzing, but doesnt indicate to be a problem or defect, although he does have a "whistling" emoticon after the statement.
http://thebrightsideforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=659

I don't have anything to measure, but the PWM (pulse-width modulation) frequency used in the low mode of these lights is very low and noticeable, unlike the 2KHz of the Quark MiNi lights. This will be a deal-killer for some folks. I am quite certain that the high mode of the 9VX also employs very high PWM, but like I said, I have nothing to measure with other than my eyes and a ceiling fan spinning at high speed.

Lastly, if you put the lights up to your ear in either high or low, you can hear it buzzing. You can also hear it flashing if you have it by your ear
whistling.gif