Neutron 1c, not really impressed

18inch

Newly Enlightened
So I got my Neutron 1c, while its a great small light, very nice in all aspect, except that the brightness isn't all that at all... I'm not sure if this is how it should be or I'm missing something here... It's being powered by a AW ICR123 3.7V ..

I have a Thrunite Scorpion V2, Fenix LD20 and PD31.

The Neutron 1C is VERY similar to the LD20 in terms of brightness and output(except that the 1c is floodier of course).

Would it get brighter after a couple of day of usage? Kinda break it in or something... The PD31 is noticeably brighter than the Neutron 1c... Was hoping to match it at least.

any thoughts?

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take it into a dark room, bathroom, and do a ceiling bounce test compared to other similar lumen lights.
A fresh RCR123 should start a Neutron 1C around 400 lumens.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering about the issues with my 1 C neutron because it would shut down after 30 seconds on high/rcr operation. so it went back to batteryjunction, i exchanged it for the powertac still waiting on arrival. I liked the neutrons feel and beam it's a shame it didnt work as claimed :-(((( glad I bought it from a reputable dealer.

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering about the issues with my 1 C neutron because it would shut down after 30 seconds on high/rcr operation. so it went back to batteryjunction, i exchanged it for the powertac still waiting on arrival. I liked the neutrons feel and beam it's a shame it didnt work as claimed :-(((( glad I bought it from a reputable dealer.

Maybe it was the protection circuit on the RCR kicking in, battery couldn't take the high drain. I've had that happen with other lights.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought that could be the case but all rcrs from trustfire to AW had the same problem.

Racer

Enlightened
Several of my lights do that as well with certain batteries. I predict your new light will do the same thing, tsask, since it's not a problem with the light itself. My 1C will do the same with some of my batteries.

I'm on my third Neutron 1C. The first one had a tail cap switch fail after about a week and the second one failed from a 2 foot drop. BJ and Thrunite were good about replacing them but the third light seems to have a flaky driver. It sometimes doesn't like to switch out of firefly mode and sometimes there's a "pre-flash" between SOS and firefly. Not worth returning the third one but needless to say I'm a little disappointed.

No problems with brightness though. That's one area where it's always delivered for me. On turbo my 1C has so much flood it's easy to underestimate the amount of light though. And the moonlight with no pre-flash is the reason I bought it (and the Ti) so I'm very pleased with the firefly and turbo modes.

So mine have pretty much worked as advertised but now I hesitate to take the latest anywhere and use it as an EDC for fear of breaking it. One thing to note though is that the third one has a lower profile tail switch that solves the tail standing problem that certain 1C's have. It has a much shorter throw on the switch though so it's easy to turn it off accidentally when I'm switching modes. The switch still feels squishy without letting the air out of the strike bezel so I may go back to the tail switch from my 2nd dead one which I still have.

18inch

Newly Enlightened
I doubt its the battery they work super well... and 400lumens? Im not sure about that, my 1c compares to the LD20, which is bout 180lumens, and the pd31 is considerably brighter..

can you guys compare it with other flashlight? I want to know if theres a problem with mine, or I was just expecting too much?

Also, theres no burn-in period ?

18inch

Newly Enlightened
I feel like its getting better now... the light is more solid and concentrated... weird!
Im starting to like it more and more over time.. Ill keep this updated

texas cop

Enlightened
I'm running my Neutron 1c on an AW RCR123. This has been my favorite small pocket rocket since it came out. Turbo lights up a good size room, medium works well for most everything else. Let it grow on you a bit more.