Prince-tec Apex replacement ...brighter

edpdx

Newly Enlightened
I have a 5-6 year old Princeton-tec Apex. I made the mod to upgrade the reflector and emitter almost right-away. I have been very happy with it and PR customer Service as well. I am thinking of getting another headlamp. The PT Apex has a good track record with me; but I don't know what I don't know about current technology since my last APEX purchase. Is there a way better lamp around that price range. Which ones are better with similar features. I really like the locator with it's built in battery strength indicator.

This is the technical paper that describes how to modify a Princeton-Tech Apex Headlamp by replacing the stock Luxeon LED emitter (60 lumen rating), with a Seoul P4 LED emitter (130 lumen rating). The estimated cost to upgrade the Apex is $20.00. The estimated time to make the modification is 20 - 30 minutes.

Thanks,

Ed

robostudent5000

Enlightened
the Apex is still going strong. they've been upgraded to XPG emitters and output 200 lumens now.

if you're interested in something similar with some extra features, you might want to look at the 2012 Black Diamond Icon when it becomes available. there's a short thread discussion of it here. there's some speculation it's pretty much the same as the Apex on the inside. it should be cheaper than an Apex too, albeit without the iron clad warranty.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
The XP-G (or XP-E for a tighter beam) update is a good improvement (200+ lumen). One big advantage is that you can get neutral white emitters which I strongly prefer for outdoor use.

edpdx

Newly Enlightened
OK, I have been looking at the APEX Extreme... Is this the one you are talking about? The main difference I see is the battery Capacity has jumped to 8 AA mounted on the belt instead of the headband. If this is the lamp you are speaking of, how do I order it with the XP-E or XP-G and do I go right to making some mod to make it better?

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you guys think the XPE and XPG emitters perform well with Seoul/Luxeon reflectors? I haven't had great feelings about the results.

robostudent5000

Enlightened
all current models of the Apex (Apex, Apex Pro, Apex Extreme) have an XPG in them.

eebowler, i think the main problems with using a Seoul/Luxeon optic or reflector for a shorter emitter like the XPG is in setting the correct focal length and aligning the emitter to the optic/reflector. the results shouldn't be that bad if you can address those two issues.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
A xp-g/e on a 2mm thick pcb gives very close to perfect focus in reflectors made for Seoul/luxeons. Works great in the Apex with this thickness as well, the pcb diameter needs to be about 8mm if one wants it to fit straight into an Apex.

All new Apex headlamps have xp-gs, but some older ones (marked with 130, not 200 lumen) use the Seoul led. The hinge and a few other things are also improved on the 200 lumen version.