led upgrade for diving

lyegrove

Newly Enlightened
I've got a couple of Ikelite Mini C dive torches, (4xC cell) that are battery guzzlers with the halogen's as fitted, can you reccomend a drop in replacement LED unit? Current bulb as illustrated below. Thanks!

ikelite__0042.52_4e76750ae3fd1_100x60.jpg
Bulb, 6V 4W, Kr filled
Extended burn time, for lights with 4-cell batt. packs.
ikelite #0042.52

GaAslamp

Enlightened
:welcome:

Some examples were given during a recent discussion on this forum, assuming that you need a standard PR-type bulb (sure looks like it):

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?330018

Dorcy has a 6V version with model number 41-1644. The nice thing about the Dorcy drop-ins is that even though the type of LED they use has some disadvantages, they are very efficient, inexpensive, and they have a built-in "diode bridge" that allows them to function regardless of polarity, much like an incandescent bulb (as far as I know, the others are sensitive to polarity). It should be just about as bright as the bulb that you're currently using, I would expect, but it will stay bright and run for much longer. The other drop-ins may be slightly brighter and have a purer white tint (unless you're unlucky and get a sickly greenish one :green:), but they're more expensive and probably not as efficient. I doubt that any of these drop-ins are as bright as the halogen bulbs are when the latter are running on fresh cells, though.

lyegrove

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the quick response, I'll do some more digging through the forum archives...what a wealth of knowledge!

Only problem I might have is sourcing kit or spares given that I live across the pond....another Brit. joins the fray!:thumbsup: