PIAA extreme white plus vs sliverstar white halogen bulb?

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there a difference between PIAA extreme white plus halogen bulb and silverstar white ?

Lightdoctor

Enlightened
Is there a difference between PIAA extreme white plus halogen bulb and silverstar white ?

No, they're both junk and give dull performance. If you must use a blue bulb, go with Philips Crystal Vision ultra (ugh)...far and away better built and with longer life span.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Yup. All of the bulbs claiming to give "extra white" or "ultra white" or "whiter" (etc.) light are to be avoided. They are as close to fraudulent as can be without going over the line into illegally deceptive marketing practices. The blue glass they use blocks a substantial amount of light that would reach the road if the glass were clear, reducing the driver's ability to see. The light is not "whiter", it is actually bluer -- though it may wind up still within the legal white boundary or over the line into what is legally considered blue, depending on the depth of the blue tint. The tinted light does not help you see better under any conditions. These are purely stylistic gimmicks and should be avoided.

Better choices are Philips Xtreme Power, GE Night Hawk Platinum, or Osram Night Breaker.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Yup. All of the bulbs claiming to give "extra white" or "ultra white" or "whiter" (etc.) light are to be avoided. They are as close to fraudulent as can be without going over the line into illegally deceptive marketing practices. The blue glass they use blocks a substantial amount of light that would reach the road if the glass were clear, reducing the driver's ability to see. The light is not "whiter", it is actually bluer -- though it may wind up still within the legal white boundary or over the line into what is legally considered blue, depending on the depth of the blue tint. The tinted light does not help you see better under any conditions. These are purely stylistic gimmicks and should be avoided.

Better choices are Philips Xtreme Power, GE Night Hawk Platinum, or Osram Night Breaker.

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you guys sure that Phillips Xtreme power bulb is brighter than PIAA bulb?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Yes. Also, the filament focus and build quality are far better on the Philips than on the PIAA. What makes you think three of us might be telling you lies? And what kind of car are you working on, by the way?

cehowardGS

Newly Enlightened
No, they're both junk and give dull performance. If you must use a blue bulb, go with Philips Crystal Vision ultra (ugh)...far and away better built and with longer life span.

I beg to differ, and I think it is according to the application of the light. I run a 2007 GSX R1000, I run piaa extreme whites hi and low. And let me tell you, they can spot my bike on a crowded highway a mile down the road or as far as you can see. That is how much the PIAA is over my standard H7 and H9 hi and low on my bike. I am always seen on the highway, and people move out of the way when they see that light coming. On two wheels, being seen is a good and neccessary affect.

For my application, I am at the limit, and might even be bordering illegal. But, I can see WAY down the road, and I am SEEN from way down the road too.. ;)

Qship1996

Enlightened
I beg to differ, and I think it is according to the application of the light. I run a 2007 GSX R1000, I run piaa extreme whites hi and low. And let me tell you, they can spot my bike on a crowded highway a mile down the road or as far as you can see. That is how much the PIAA is over my standard H7 and H9 hi and low on my bike. I am always seen on the highway, and people move out of the way when they see that light coming. On two wheels, being seen is a good and neccessary affect.

For my application, I am at the limit, and might even be bordering illegal. But, I can see WAY down the road, and I am SEEN from way down the road too.. ;)

I am sure you believe that, and you are entitled to your opinion,but it certainly does not change the facts! More likely,if people are "getting out of your way" a mile down the road, your lights are grossly mis-aimed, therefore irritating other drivers. Luckily for them you are not using true high performance bulbs !!!!!!!

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
The light is not "whiter", it is actually bluer
I prefer to say that it's not whiter, it actually is missing most of the yellow the filament emits. There's not any more blue light in the output than before-- there's just substantially less yellow.

The Philips definitely has my vote. But if I had to choose between a PIAA "Extreme White" and a Sylvania Silverstar Ultra, I'll walk. :)

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
In a '93 Accord, you can do better than any of the bulbs that have so far been discussed in this thread. Make sure the headlamp lenses are crystal clear, and follow the advice in this post.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I beg to differ, and I think it is according to the application of the light.

It isn't, actually. Certain kinds of bulbs (the "extra white" type with blue glass) produce less light than certain other kinds of bulbs (the high performance varieties with uncolored glass). That's just basic physics. Some brands of bulbs (including PIAA) have a long track record of poor build quality -- improper/imprecise filament geometry, etc. Some other brands of bulbs (Philips, Osram, GE) have a long track record of good build quality. Good-quality bulbs producing more light will always produce better headlight beam performance than poor-quality bulbs producing less light. There isn't a way around this; it's not subject to opinion.

I run piaa extreme whites hi and low. And let me tell you, they can spot my bike on a crowded highway a mile down the road or as far as you can see.

It sounds as if your lamps are not aimed correctly, which makes them unlawful and unsafe.

people move out of the way when they see that light coming. I am at the limit, and might even be bordering illegal. But, I can see WAY down the road

This definitely makes it clear that your lamps are misaimed. I doubt there's anything "bordering" about the illegal and unsafe amounts of glare your lamps are producing. This does not make anyone safer.

TheExpert

Newly Enlightened
Although some may not like the way scheinwermann explain things on here including myself, it does not despite the fact that he is still correct plan and simple.