ArmyTek Viking S Review - XP-G R5 - 18650/CR123

firelord777

Enlightened
Hello everyone,
I have received two new models from ArmyTek, the Viking S and Viking X. This particular review will be on the Viking S XP-G R5. Here is the link to the sales thread from ArmyTek:
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?260055-ArmyTek-Vikings-are-coming-)-Viking-S
ArmyTek has not yet at time of writing given the specifications or availability on the Viking S.:ironic:
So, on with the review,:naughty:
ArmyTek used DHL with tracking to send the Vikings, I assume that is how they will handle orders as well, either by sending an email or a PM to you. Which, BTW, they usually respond very quickly, less than a day at most.
So obviously, for us people, the wait is not a happy time. Checking the tracking number everyday and seeing it coming closer yet still so far was excruciating. Well, almost. DHL delivered it to my family while I was at school, in just 3 days from China:ohgeez:. Wow.
Needless to say, I shredded the DHL bag:devil: and took these boxes out (the ArmyTek Predator box is there to show a comparison between packaging, and yes, the packaging is the same for both Vikings):
scaled.php

A strange thing, look at the day and time stamp on the boxes, the Viking X has his stamped the 30 of December of 2011, and the Viking S has his January 10, 2012, the same day ArmyTek shipped the lights out. Maybe for others, they can know when their light was made or shipped, or maybe both.:duh2:
scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

So here we open the box, the light in its holster and comfy Styrofoam holders.:)
scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

Accessories are just as ArmyTek described them, except the rubber button is actually a rubber ring. Holster is nice and feels durable, rings and o-rings inside a bag, and the lanyard in another.
So here we have the light itself:
scaled.php

Its rather simplistic looks somehow is pleasing to my eyes.
These are some pictures from the business end:
scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

The Viking S has a quite deep smooth reflector obviously meant for throw and very thick walls! This makes the Viking obviously feel heavier in the hand compared to lights such as the Predator.
Here it is alongside its partner, the Viking X:
scaled.php

scaled.php

The Viking S has a deeper reflector and hence, a longer head, so as this picture shows, the Viking X has a higher spill angle:
scaled.php

These are pictures showing the construction design of the light, which BTW, both Vikings have the same body, ring, and tailcaps (note: none of the Vikings can tailstand alone.)
scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

These next few pictures are going to be comparing the Viking S to the ArmyTek Predator:
scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

For those of you wondering about interchangeable parts between the ArmyTek models, well, here it is:

scaled.php

Here are pictures of the Viking S for comparing size against other flashlights:
scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

Whitewall Beamshots::devil:

scaled.php

(All beamshots have equal amount of initial and reduced exposure, white balance is same as well, and the Viking S is always on the left)

ArmyTek Viking S Vs. ArmyTek Predator Smooth
scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

ArmyTek Viking S Vs. ArmyTek Viking X
scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

ArmyTek Viking S Vs. ArmyTek Predator Orange Peel
scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

ArmyTek Viking S Vs. Fenix TK20
scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

ArmyTek Viking S Vs. Cree Budget Light (2X18650-5X Q5 emitters - 1.5 Amps Current)
scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

ArmyTek Viking S Vs. Klarus XT20 (Not really a fair comparison, Klarus uses 2X18650)
scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

ArmyTek Viking S Vs. Fenix TK41 (Not fair either, but its for comparison purposes)
scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

Spill Comparison-This is to allow us to compare the relative spill angles from other lights:

ArmyTek Viking S is always on the left:

Vs. Viking X (Viking S is on the right in this image:
scaled.php

Vs. ArmyTek Predator SMO
scaled.php

Vs. ArmyTek Predator OP
scaled.php

Vs. Fenix TK20
scaled.php

Vs. Cree budget light (5X Q5 emitters, 2X18650)
scaled.php

Vs. Klarus XT20
scaled.php

Vs. Fenix TK41 (the hosting site seems to have a bit of an issue with this image, sorry guys)

Next is a waterproof test, now, I know lights don't like water, but these guys were quite eager to get in J
scaled.php

The Viking S cannonballs inside the water, perhaps the name ArmyTek Pioneer S may suit him just fine haha.
scaled.php

scaled.php

Soon, the other ArmyTek's join in on the fun:
scaled.php

scaled.php

Not before long, the others jumped in so fast I didn't know what just happened…
scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

So, after their little pool party in my sink, I wanted to show you guys the ceiling bounce of these lights. Note: All shots have equal exposure except a few that I will mention. First picture is the regular bathroom lights: 4X60 watt incans.
scaled.php

Next is only the ArmyTek Viking X lighting up the bathroom.
scaled.php

scaled.php

This next one is the ArmyTek Viking S,
scaled.php

Then, both of them (had to hold them in my hand, they cannot tailstand alone)
scaled.php

This is all four ArmyTek's turned on.
scaled.php

Reduced exposure:
scaled.php

All of them turned on:
scaled.php

Reduced exposure:
scaled.php

scaled.php

Final kitchen shots with reduced exposure-Viking S on max mode:
scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

Low mode:
scaled.php

Middle Mode and reduced exposures:
scaled.php

scaled.php

High mode and reduced exposures:
scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

Now to Wrap it all up:
So, overall, the Viking S is a very good light in my book:thumbsup:. It has superb throwing capabilities and a nice corona. My sample had a good, cool-white tint, a smooth deep reflector for throw and a just a solid feel to it in the hand. ArmyTek has made it clear to me that the Viking S has the exact same reflector as the Predator, and obviously the same current (1.5 Amps). However, I found the Viking S reflector to be a tiny bit less shorter on the edge against the Predator. So apparently, I believe that ArmyTek had the same hotspot angle on both models. But I think that the Viking has a bit of a wider hotspot than the Predator's (which is still a very focused beam), and a wider corona:naughty:. So the Viking is a bit more suited to covering a slightly wider area than the Predator, while still maintaining a strong throw.
UI
ArmyTek has not implemented a control ring in this model, contrary to what several were hoping for back on CPFMP. But, the UI they put in the Viking is one that is very "tactical". Head tightened (Line 1) will always come on max mode (1.5 amps), no other mode is on line 1. For when you absoulutely need max quickly, a quick tighten of the head will give you just that. Line 2, which is Head loosened, will give you the other output levels. Low, middle and high seemed to be well spaced out, and Max was just brighter by 100 lumens or so I believe.
Construction
ArmyTek really gave a much needed improvement over the Predator's body, a cigar grip ring. This gives it a much easier hold when holding it "cigar style". It also prevents your hand from slipping, which BTW, although there is no knurling, the unique ArmyTek finish is grippier than other finishes, so no worries.
The flat bezel was also a big change for me from the Predator's aggressive strike bezel. But seeing it is so thick as well as the whole flashlight, I think I let it grow on me. It gives it a "tank" feel, as if it is a solid, well-built, and reliable light to carry with you. Most aesthetic details from the Predator are gone, the tailcap is completely smooth, and the only head details are grooves going around the whole head.
The LED is well centered and seems to have a centering piece. 18650 do not rattle in the light:thumbsup:.
The light cannot tailstand unfortunately, though I have seen some pictures where the cigar ring is somehow used to allow it to tailstand:confused:.
Beam
The beam from the XP-G R5 is well balanced, and is definitely throw-oriented.
If anyone has any requests, questions, or anything, feel free to post it or if preferable, PM me.
Cheers, Firelord777:devil:

Last edited:

erehwyrevekool

Enlightened
Great review! :goodjob:
It seems to have an impressive toughness and an easy&fast tactical UI. Love this flashlight!
Thanks firelord777
:wave:

my#1hobby

Enlightened
Impressive review, I wish everybody included this many beamshots in their reviews:thumbsup: Those are some cool looking lights. Thanks firelord777!

firelord777

Enlightened
Im surprised more people don't have any questions, if anyone out there has a question, i'm here:)

CheepSteal

Enlightened
Totally dig that pic of the grip ring Predator! I placed an order for the new Predator, cannot wait until it ships and gets here. Looks so badass!

adfritz

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the great review firelord. I was wondering if there was any long-range beamshots comparing the two vikings. I am looking to purchase one but would like to see how they fare at greater distances.

firelord777

Enlightened
Thanks for the great review firelord. I was wondering if there was any long-range beamshots comparing the two vikings. I am looking to purchase one but would like to see how they fare at greater distances.

Thanks,

Regarding your request, I would surely love to help out.

But, believe me, I've tried, and I have two cameras, a D90, and a video camera that takes pictures too. I can't seem to manually set exposures, partly because it is my father's camera, and because Its very complicated for me:(

I can, however, make some more indoors, but a longer ranges. How does, say 10-20 meters sound? Or if you don't mind teaching me, I may be able to take good outdoor shots, because I have a giant field next to me.

Regardless, they throw well, believe me. The predator, very slightly has a smaller spot, just saying. The Viking X is a flooder though, but it throws almost as good as the Viking S, mostly through sheer brightness.

Also, ArmyTek has told me that the Vikings can tailstand, if you take off the cigar ring and put the tailcap on top.

Cheers, and hope I'll be able to help you.:)

Last edited:

surgicalshot

Newly Enlightened
Does line 2 remember the last mode used? Like if i use medium and turn it off the next time i turn it on does it come on in medium or does it go back to low? And is it as indestructible as the predator? I am sure you have seen the youtube video where they thrash on the predator and it does not break. Is the viking tough like that? Just wondering i am thinking of getting one or the other leaning towards the viking because the cigar ring.

Last edited:

firelord777

Enlightened
They are both extremely solid and durable. Regarding the line 2 memory, it will remember the last mode after 4 seconds

Cheers:)