Help with TK15 and also advice on a new pocket light.

stupidpanda

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I bought a Fenix TK15 last year and it's the best light I've ever owned. I've used disposable cr123 batteries in it but they cost a fair amount and I believe it can take a chargeable battery that replaces 2 x CR123. Is there a re-charger that comes with a battery that anyone can recommend. Also, I hear that modern batteries can explode, is there any rules I should be following.

Secondly, I'm after a very small very bright single cr123 flashlight. I saw an old thread that reviewed small single CR123's:- http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?229343-Worlds-best-single-CR123-flashlight

But I would think there has been advances in the LEDs since then. The flashlight would need to be small enough to go in a normal jeans pocket and fit in my hand with not much poking out. Needs low and ultra high settings. Reason is for evening jogging. I need low light for areas where the street lights are bust, but I need an ultra high lumen to blind anyone dumb enough to try and rob me.

Also, finally, is there a charger that will charge both a single cr123 as well as one of those ones that I mentioned further up.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
The questions you ask are ok, and can be answered by our experienced members except for the 'I need an ultra high lumen to blind anyone dumb enough to try and rob me' part. Let's not dwell on that here, as CPF does not condone the discussion of using bright lights for defense unless used by trained individuals. If you researched previous threads discussing this issue you will that even LEO's trained to use flashlights do not recommend trying to blind an opponent as a first line of defense, and mostly use their bright lights in conjunction with their weapons, or for identifying purposes. So, limit your discussion to your other issues, minus "blinding anyone'.

Bill

BullsEyeLantern

Newly Enlightened
I have a TK15 and use a protected AW 18650 3100 mah battery with it. Works great. For a single CR123 I'd suggest a PC10. If you use a 16340 in it, you will get a very impressive 500+ lumens OTF.
Get a PILA charger. Well worth the extra dollars, and has many followers here on CPF.

Last edited:

stupidpanda

Newly Enlightened
I have a TK15 and use a protected AW 18650 3100 mah battery with it. Works great. For a single CR123 I'd suggest a PC10. If you use a 16340 in it, you will get a very impressive 500+ lumens OTF.
Get a PILA charger. Well worth the extra dollars, and has many followers here on CPF.

Thank you for your reply (and also sorry to admin, of course I will only be using my flash light to avoid dog poop out on runs and nothing else). That PILA charger looks great but is pretty expensive. Is there anything that would work similar but that cost about £20.00?

And OMG! THE PC10 looks wicked! Exactly what I was looking for,500 lumens is outstanding and handy to have when needed although in real life use I will only mostly use low/medium setting to make sure I'm not running onto glass or dog poop in the dark.

But now it has me wondering what all the other companies will be doing over the next few months to catch up and compete? Are there any other new lights that are similar specs to the PC10? (Obviously needs to be heavy all weather proof and drop proof as in the cold with wet gloves it will get dropped)

Also, to regular users of this forum should I split this thread into 2 separate threads? One about the charger and one for the new light or is it ok keeping them both in the same seeing as how i'm a bit of a noob to this flashlight stuff.

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
You could just leave this thread and post a thread about chargers in the battery and charger subforum but most people will tell you to get the Pilla. Id get it first then save for the PC10 which I would also suggest, as most 1 RCR123 lights wont put out that much due to heat. You could also get th PA10 650lm 14500 light.

Snareman

Enlightened
Before you get a PC10 check out my video reviews on it. There is a long and short version. The short version is minus the opinionated comments (there is a link to it at the beginning of the long version). I ended up sending mine back because it just wasn't all the light it was cracked up to be .