Choking on the cost of buying American

Robert C

Newly Enlightened
Trying to do my part for the US economy but it's a tough pill to swallow. Wanted a 2xAA light so I just ordered an SF EL2-AA. I guess what bothers me most is that you don't really get "state of the art" for the cost compared to what the Chinese are offering. Come on SF, offer some real performance for that lofty price tag!

Quiksilver

Enlightened
Most of my lights are American now (SF, HDS, Malkoff, Mag-Lite) simply due to the fact that my other 'state of the art' lights are now dead from malfunctions.

From what I've heard, the EL2 AA isn't a great light anyways. Its got a really narrow beam, which isn't the best for many applications. I almost picked one up, but happy now that I didn't.

Z-Tab

Enlightened
You've either heard wrong or from people that only measure lights by their lumens. The E2L-AA is an excellent light. It has the same sort of beam as the E1B and other TIR Surefires. If you need a floody light, it's not for you, but it will throw further than many lights with higher lumen output. Plus, you have an added bonus that it probably won't ever break (but if it does, Surefire will replace it very quickly and with no questions asked).

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trying to do my part for the US economy but it's a tough pill to swallow. Wanted a 2xAA light so I just ordered an SF EL2-AA. I guess what bothers me most is that you don't really get "state of the art" for the cost compared to what the Chinese are offering. Come on SF, offer some real performance for that lofty price tag!

If you keep buying their lights when they aren't producing what you want they have no incentive to change. :)

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E2L-AA is a great light. I have/had about 30 surefire lights and i love them all.
I too only buy North American& European.

The light will still be working long after all the other you know what lights from you know where will be discarded.

gsr

Enlightened
I have a few lights from the Far East, and they offer good performance, but I would not dare subject them to the kind of rough treatment I have given Surefires and Maglites from time to time. That's just been my experience.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

Performance? You mean higher output? The E2L-AA was designed as a general purpose outdoors light. They could crank the output up, at the cost of runtime. Just like the E2L. I could get the LX2, 200 lumens, but only 1.5 hours til 50%, where as the E2L will get ~11 hours flat output. I bought the E2L-AA because I wanted a long running quality AA for camping/caving/power outages that runs good on all three chemistries of AA's. SF may come out with more AA based lights, but, I think the E2L-AA fits the requirments of the general (non CPF) population...serious outdoorsmen that want a tough as nails AA light for there activities.

BTW, if you DO want a higher output head for your E2L-AA, try the 110 lumen E1b head.

Darvis

Enlightened
I have to agree with AOW and awenta both for the performance/state of the art views. Forget Surefire, or any brand for that matter... It comes down to simple function vs. lots of add-ons that may, or may not work. A good example, the Fenix E01. Costs about 10-15 bucks... I don't think anyone can dispute its performance for what it's intended to do, which is where I think AOW is spot on.

Output? Sure, that's a different thing and if you want output, there is no end to the boutique drop-in builders in CPF that are USA based and affordable and that will blow your mind with output.

You don't absolutely need to American for great performance, but there does seem to be a higher "weight" of American makers like HDS, Peak, Surefire, Malkoff, and Oveready to name a few that have focused on lights that will always work vs. lights that will impress you with functions and lumens. And yeah, they cost more...

In the end, it's merely what you want, and BTW, can't help but notice you did actually buy that AA Surefire. 10 years from now, when its 60 or so lumens are still 60 lumens (same as all other lights with 60 lumens) and it's still working like a champ, come back and let us know if you still think it was expensive. Beat the ever loving daylights out of it too... you made a great choice.

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never been that impressed with Surefire, for the price you pay for them. Granted I haven't bought one new in quite a few years, but I got tired of the crappy puke tint you typically got stuck with. Love them as a host for modding, but it still puzzles me as to why they can't get up to speed with the most current emitters.

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
First, it is E2L-AA
Second, you just chose a wrong Surefire to be bought :shrug:
For real masterpiece, fit yourself with a 6P/9P with Malkoff (Both made in USA, Im biased that Malkoff is over valued, even though SF is.....too)
C2/C3 Centurions are nice too, unfortunately you might have to dig a bit on online dealers and see if they have extras, ive seen a $50ed-C2 before, but only ship CONUS

I suggest you return the E2L-AA or at least choose a CR123Aed-light, if you are willing to pay(or wait)
Choose LX2 or those 2012 new models, or go with the setup i mentioned
*Yes we are all devil here and we will have you flashlight-addicted:devil: Soon your wallet will be sacrificed to flashlight*

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E2L-AA is a great light. I have/had about 30 surefire lights and i love them all.
I too only buy North American& European.

The light will still be working long after all the other you know what lights from you know where will be discarded.
Not to be said as Westernism or Americanism but as a HKer(We always got accused by uncivilized mainlander for praising western culture)
MOST chinese lights are piece'o crap, flooded by U-Fire

But sometimes i found some goodie from it, very very very small chance but they exists
Massive SST-50 light with 18650*2 tube thicker than Surefire, electronic switch (Delayed turn on abt 0.2sec)
Just for $500 HKD (US 1:7.8)
I even want to mod it into single mode

Robert C

Newly Enlightened
...Second, you just chose a wrong Surefire to be bought :shrug:
For real masterpiece, fit yourself with a 6P/9P with Malkoff

As I mentioned in my original post, I was in the market for a 2*AA format light. I do have an incan 6P and will be upgrading that soon to LED. It sits n my nightstand drawer and will hopefully never be used, just like the other piece of hardware that sits in the drawer with it :) You guys may be seeing some questions about the drop-ins shortly.

I also have a SF-U2, so I'm no stranger to cr123 cells or SF build quality. I just can't help feeling like I'm digging deep into the pocket and not getting much for it. For instance, how difficult would it be for SF to add a middle output level to the E2L-AA (spelled correctly this time) and maintain this price point? Why should a ring interface require a $300 investment? I know the labor costs are higher in the US, but I'll bet their business has been brisk during wartime; they don't seem to be passing along the savings from higher production rates.

Anyway...just griping. I'll be getting the light in the mail in the next couple of days and I will appreciate its value just as much as my other SF's.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your goal is to support American manufacturing, I can't help you.
If your goal is to keep your dollars in America, buy a used light. That's what I try to do.

slingsy

Newly Enlightened
E2LAA great all around light! 80 SF lumens is useful for most things, nice throw with some useable spill. This was my first Surefire and it definitely won't be my last.

mauiblue

Newly Enlightened
I am a Surefire fanboi but recently been finding most members suggesting Made in China flashlights. Recently I bought a Nitecore Tiny Monster TM11 instead of any of Surefire's high lumen output lights because of the price. I'm very happy with the Nitecore. I was looking at a HDS System flashlight as a backup light but because of the massively long wait times to get one and the low lumens compared to what the Chinese manufacturers offers I'm considering another Chinese torch. I want to buy American but Asian companies makes it hard for me to resist their products because of their quality and prices.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am a Surefire fanboi but recently been finding most members suggesting Made in China flashlights. Recently I bought a Nitecore Tiny Monster TM11 instead of any of Surefire's high lumen output lights because of the price. I'm very happy with the Nitecore. I was looking at a HDS System flashlight as a backup light but because of the massively long wait times to get one and the low lumens compared to what the Chinese manufacturers offers I'm considering another Chinese torch. I want to buy American but Asian companies makes it hard for me to resist their products because of their quality and prices.

If you're buying the chinese lights for the high lumen out-put, then, their deceptive advertising has worked. There alot of fresh faces here...hence all the recommendations. Look at some of the actual tests done by members here, and look at how the runtimes and out-puts of the SF's stack up to the competition. Also, when you see these recommendations, check the "Join Date" and number of posts of the members. There comes a time when members "see the light". How soon you "see the light" is up to you.

yifu

Enlightened
Surefire P60 hosts are the best and compare very favourably with "state of the art" lights when bored for 18650 and equipped with a proper drop in and win in terms of reliability as well as modularity.