Difference in light beam between 12 lumen LED torch and incan minimag

bon1

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

I'm told the incandescent mini Maglite outputs about 12 lumens. The JetBeam BA10 has a lower mode of 12 lumens (other torches have a similar output mode) as well so I would like to know if this shared 12 lumen figure means both flashlights perform about the same.

entercpf

Newly Enlightened
There's no comparison. Incan runs for a few hours, and the other runs for a few days...

ragweed

Enlightened
Ditto that! Also, the incan being on the warm side might not appear as bright as an Led.

bon1

Newly Enlightened
Thus, as I understand it, the brightness would be about the same for both the LED and the incan--except for the different color temperature.

Also, I think that lumen perception is not linear, right? So is there a need for a mode (or modes) between let's say 120 lumen and 12 lumen?

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LED BA10 has a much larger hotspot for greater even and consistent illumination, but the hotspot is less bright for less throw.
The MiniMag incandescent has a halogen filament delivers a tiny less practical filamentous hotspot, but the hotspot is more intense/brighter for greater throw...

bon1

Newly Enlightened
I suggest a 4x change, for nice spacing. 0.5, 3, 12, 48, 120 afat least

I take this would leave me with:
  • Zebralight SC80
  • Zebralight SC51
  • Xeno E03
I do not know if there are any other flashlights that I should consider though. No strobe or it being hidden away, 1AA format. Big enough for an easy grip yet small enough so I can carry it in a pocket.

Right now, I favor the E03 as I'm worried about the reported accidental activations of the SC51.

Any suggestions will be appreciated! :)

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't worry about the accidental activation on the Zebralights. A small turn of the tail cap eliminates even the possibility of that. The turn I'm talking about is fractional as well.

The low on the Xeno E03 isn't particularly low if that's an issue for you.

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
In the defense of the mini-mag :naughty:...

12 lumens is 12 lumens of light but the CRI is higher on the minimag/incandescent - you will SEE better/clearer all other things being = w/ higher CRI lumens. The cooler LED will appear brighter. SEEing better, APPEARing brighter are 2 different things.

A completely different issues others have mentioned is the shape of the beam which in different lights could be reversed. The minimag is a much better thrower at 12 lumens and for ME, that is more practical, though not for Peter :) Of course overall the jetbeam would be more practical for me too as I'm sure the high outthrows the minimag.