Is this any good?

Sun

Newly Enlightened
I am searching for a 600 or more lumen 1x18650 light on the small side without a big reflector. Is this any good? szwholesale G&R SST-50 665lumens 3-Mode Flashlight(FS-GR-50)

It seems too cheap for a complete sst50 light. Any suggestions for one under $150?

Last edited by a moderator:

Flight_Deck

Enlightened
Check out the EagleTac D25LC2. While rated at 493 OTF lumens, I'm convinced that it's actually putting out a lot more, after placing it along side many other lights. And at less than $50 each, you could buy three!

Best regards,
John C.

Tommygun45

Enlightened
Ugh, if you can spend 150 whatever you do do not get that light. After you've been here a while you can look at a light and just tell if its good or bad. That is the standard xxxfire body of lights that could probably not be produced any less expensively than they are. Also, anything that ends in Fire, except SureFire, you should stay away from. (Personal experience at least.)

Are you looking flood, throw, or both. For flood, get a Zebralight SC600 for $99. For throw get a Thrunight Scorpion for ~$128.

Also, this should be moved to the Recommend Me a Light forum.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
2 comments:

Most China flashlights are over rated by the manufacturer. The 900 lumen flashlights tested out at less than 500 actual OTF lumens. So a claimed 600 lumens can be 350-400 actual.

More lumens means more heat. I have an Elektrolumens EDC that tested out at 600 lumens by BigC. That light got TOO HOT TO HOLD in 5 minutes!!!

-----

Also look at the P-Rocket and S-Mini at Shiningbeam.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ugh, if you can spend 150 whatever you do do not get that light. After you've been here a while you can look at a light and just tell if its good or bad. That is the standard xxxfire body of lights that could probably not be produced any less expensively than they are. Also, anything that ends in Fire, except SureFire, you should stay away from. (Personal experience at least.)

Are you looking flood, throw, or both. For flood, get a Zebralight SC600 for $99. For throw get a Thrunight Scorpion for ~$128.

Also, this should be moved to the Recommend Me a Light forum.
Agreed. I own a Zebralight SC600w (warmer tint version that some prefer) and it's one of my favorites. I don't know much about throwers.

Luminater

Newly Enlightened
2 comments:

Most China flashlights are over rated by the manufacturer. The 900 lumen flashlights tested out at less than 500 actual OTF lumens. So a claimed 600 lumens can be 350-400 actual.

More lumens means more heat. I have an Elektrolumens EDC that tested out at 600 lumens by BigC. That light got TOO HOT TO HOLD in 5 minutes!!!

-----

Also look at the P-Rocket and S-Mini at Shiningbeam.

Have you ever try yet?

IMO Flashaholic know that most China flashlights are over rated, and very hot because It's small.
I have one (5 modes) and BLFers have it too, I think It's 700+- OTF lumen.
I want to reply more but English is not my native Language.
You can find many reviews and beamshots (include my beamshots) here http://goo.gl/UNlJc

Last edited:

yifu

Enlightened
So many options for under 150 dollars!
You can get a Zebralight SC600 for a true 750 OTF lumens in a small size and under 100 dollars with great runtime and modes, or a Thrunite Scorpion for 700 OTF lumens but with better throw (150 dollars for the turbo), P-Rockets, Klarus XT10 etc.
If you want to go the custom route, get a bored 18650 Surefire host (6P/C2/Z2) available on the marketplace with a Vinh/Nailbender/Kenji/VanIsleDSM drop in and never look back. The last two quad drop ins will give you a true 1700 lumens out the front if you chose the 5.6A S2 version. And never look back!

Tommygun45

Enlightened
Dont get him excited. At the Kenji or VanI 1700 plus a bored host you are looking at around double his budget.

So many options for under 150 dollars!
You can get a Zebralight SC600 for a true 750 OTF lumens in a small size and under 100 dollars with great runtime and modes, or a Thrunite Scorpion for 700 OTF lumens but with better throw (150 dollars for the turbo), P-Rockets, Klarus XT10 etc.
If you want to go the custom route, get a bored 18650 Surefire host (6P/C2/Z2) available on the marketplace with a Vinh/Nailbender/Kenji/VanIsleDSM drop in and never look back. The last two quad drop ins will give you a true 1700 lumens out the front if you chose the 5.6A S2 version. And never look back!

yifu

Enlightened
Well, the Kenji 5.6A costs 200 dollars shipped and a cheap P60 host like the Solarforce/Ultrafires cost only 13-15 dollars each. So it's just a bit over his budget, and he can always get a Surefire host later on if he wants, since the 6P is still in production and looks like it would be for some time. It's the great thing about the P60 system! So easy to upgrade and so many options! A UCL lens today, a ZeroRez/McClicky/FETtie/Kroll switch tomorrow, a Cryos/Beefy cooling bezel, a tritium bezel ring, a new titanium pocket clip, a Triad tailcap, never have to buy a single light again!

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one (5 modes) and BLFers have it too, I think It's 700+- OTF lumen.
The 1*18650 China lights are usually direct drive on high. Because the SST-50 (and XM-L) have a very low Vf they run at 4 to 5 amps when it is supposed to be 2.8A. Many batteries supplied with the lights are not safe at 5A. If you run them continuously you have a pipe bomb in your hands.
Try it with a protected battery. If the protection in the protected battery trips, it is not safe.

Many of the 3*XM-Ls and 5*XM-L say only use with non-protected batteries. They are not safe.

To see what happens when a battery vents take a look at the pictures in these threads.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?280909-Ultrafire-18650-3000mA-exploded
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?262234-TK-Monster-Explosion
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...CR123-Explosion-during-use-firsthand-account)
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...awk-Flashlight-literally-exploded-like-a-bomb

yifu

Enlightened
Cells that vent tend to be cheap li-ons or primaries. I have not seen a single AW/Redilast cell explode or vent and judging by the lack of threads on that topic i think that seems to be the case. There are torture tests of lights with AW cells in them dropped, toasted, frozen and beaten to the point that the PCB is crushed but no venting at all. Other than the PCB protection, the OEM cells within them, Sanyo for the 2600mah, Panasonic for the 2900 and 3100 are very high quality and they themselves can be bought separately and used as unprotected batteries without harm at all. A lot of the ultrafires/turstfires that members have opened up are nothing more than recycled old cells that are much smaller than they should be, hence the danger.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cells that vent tend to be cheap li-ons or primaries. ... I have not seen a single AW/Redilast cell explode or vent ... Sanyo for the 2600mah, Panasonic for the 2900 and 3100 are very high quality ... A lot of the ultrafires/turstfires that members have opened up are nothing more than recycled old cells that are much smaller than they should be, hence the danger.
People who buy their torches from qualitychinagoods (szwholesale is the wholesale site) or DX or KD or Manafont or Dinodirect or fleabay are unlikely to go out of their way to get AWs or Redilast. They end up with what the seller offers - usually Ultrafire or worse.

People who buy AW or Redilast or IMR do not buy torches at the cheap websites. The more expensive torches they buy have proper current control so there is no danger of overloading the battery (or LED). But at 2.8A instead of 5A they are not as bright.

The protection circuit on AWs would trip if the current approaches danger levels. That is why there are no AW explosions.

jalal20

Enlightened
how about a High quality custom made flashlight for a bit higher price?
Mac from Macscustoms makes great 18650 XML light for 199$ and it has 769 OTF lumens. or you can get the regular XML EDC that takes 16340 for 160$. those are great lights and are very tough
http://macscustoms.com/XML18650.aspx

luvbelly

Newly Enlightened
X2 on the Klarus XT-11. This light will be my next purchase. I recently picked up the Klarus XT2C and love the it. The U.I. is perfect for my needs. Since the XT-11 has the same U.I., is only slightly larger, shows 600 lumen, and is only a few $$ more than the 2C, I am confident I'll like it even more. Given your parameters, since they are identical to mine, give this lights a good look.

Latest posts