Pictures of my 3D Printed VESUVIUS Head Attachment :)

jd_oc

Newly Enlightened
I've had my Peak Vesuvius XML flashlight for a few months and really like it except for 2 things. The main problem is I found it is sometimes difficult to turn it to full-on since this requires a lot of 'grip' or torque and the head's shape doesn't offer a lot of grip. The second thing was it rolls when put on its side. So, I decided to build an add-on head for it that slides over the main head. I modeled it up in SolidWorks and then had it 3D printed in stainless steel via Shapeways (I love 3D printing). Due to 3d printing tolerances there is a slight gap between the flashlight head and this add-on. I used a small amount of conductive tape to make it a tight fit. If anyone else is interested I made it available on Shapeways, but I'm not sure if it's against the rules to post a link to that?

My Vesuvius is now my favorite flashlight :)

vesuvius1 by jonwondo, on Flickr

vesuvius2 by jonwondo, on Flickr

vesuvius3 by jonwondo, on Flickr

jd_oc

Newly Enlightened
Hi Tobrien,

Shapeways is a 3D printing service, so I got it printed through them. Printing metals is still out of the realm of the consumer (the machines are very expensive). But it's still amazing to me that this is even possible, as only a few years ago a print like that would have cost hundreds of dollars. If you go on shapeways.com then go to the shop section and search for Vesuvius you should see my design pop-up and then you can purchase it through them.

Oh, and thank you for the compliment (you too candle lamp). Glad you like it!

Last edited:

JulianP

Enlightened
Wow! This will open up a whole new section of cpf. I can see in a few months people designing their own flashlight parts, trading digital files and so on. I wonder whether the resolution / tolerances will improve to the point of replicating knurling, threading etc. Maybe we'll even be able to design acrylic lenses with optimal focal points.
:thinking:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe we'll even be able to design acrylic lenses with optimal focal points.
Laser-sintering, last I knew, doesn't make optical-grade clear bits. But I keep hoping they'll make a new one.

What cost are we looking at for a piece like that Vesuvius headcage?

jd_oc

Newly Enlightened

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice job. Looks great.
Shapeways has stainless steel, but if you want aluminum parts, you can use the opposite of additive rapid prototyping at eMachineshop. They machine a part out of a plastic or metal block to your design just like rapid prototyping, but it is a little more limited in what you can do because it has to be machinable, but the software guides you through that as you build it. Both of these sites (shapeways and eMachineshop) are of good use for custom builders and allow you to sell the parts to others.

Last edited:

Pontiaker

Enlightened
If anyone wants to make some cash I have a couple small simple knife parts I need made through this website.

I will pay $100 an item for some small simple items, I will send you pics and some simple dimensions and you do whatever CAD type design needs to be done to produce my item so I can order several of them. I will pay for any fee's associated and pay for the items directly to the company that mkes them. Material will be stainless and my dimensions are flexible not exact so i think it will be a pretty easy job.Much more simple than the flashlight cage above. $100 cash for each item I need done to you and I have at least three now and more in the future. If your at all interested please let me know!
Thanks!
Matt

Last edited:

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
The cost for the Vesuvius head cage is about $18. You can see (even purchase) it here:

http://www.shapeways.com/model/469980/vesuvius_twister_head.html?gid=mg

I think that's pretty reasonable for a fully custom stainless steel part. Imagine the cost to get it CNC'd or cast! I'm waiting for cost and resolution to get a bit better and then plan on printing a full stainless flashlight.

i'm gonna buy one for my Vesuvius too, finally got one (a Vesuvius, that is) so i need this!

thanks so much bud!

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! Really nice design - more grip, anti-roll and added heatsink. Great work. I think the price is right too, considering it's a one-off custom piece.

I've seen many CPF'ers want clips for various lights. WOuld this be something that would work with this service?

jd_oc

Newly Enlightened
Wow! Really nice design - more grip, anti-roll and added heatsink. Great work. I think the price is right too, considering it's a one-off custom piece.

I've seen many CPF'ers want clips for various lights. WOuld this be something that would work with this service?

The stainless steel printing at Shapeways has limitations on wall thickness for long flat parts (like a clip) of 3mm. I think this would be too thick for a clip, and not allow enough flexibility. However, another 3d printing service called i.materialize (which I haven't used yet) does titanium printing and it uses a laser sintering process. They allow wall thicknesses as low as 0.2mm. The only downside here is that titanium printing is one of the most expensive materials to 3d print with. I'm guessing a clip would cost on the order of $40-50.

scaru

Banned
Is there a way to download this file if I wanted to make a few changes and then print it?

jd_oc

Newly Enlightened
Is there a way to download this file if I wanted to make a few changes and then print it?

Hi scaru, after using it for a few months I was thinking of a few modifications to my original design (smaller tabs for one, so it doesn't feel as large in my pocket). I'm interested in what design changes you were looking for? Perhaps if they aren't hard to implement I could update my design and put up a version 2 on Shapeways for printing.

scaru

Banned
I was mainly thinking about shrinking it down for a different light that I have. Other than that I definitely like the design.

jd_oc

Newly Enlightened
I was mainly thinking about shrinking it down for a different light that I have. Other than that I definitely like the design.

I wasn't sure if people would be interested in this for other flashlights, but if there's some demand I could modify it for a different light. Can you let me know what light it is, and/or do you have the head dimensions (or some digital calipers to measure)? 3d printing is such a revolutionary technology I really look forward to pricing coming down to the point where I could design some fully 3d-printed flashlights (where you just add a drop-in like a P60) and offer them to the CPF community.

scaru

Banned
Would it be possible to just download it? There are a number of different lights I want to try it on and don't want to bother you with this.