Magcharger Disassembly?

Otokoyama

Enlightened
I just got a Magcharger (apparently officially called the Mag-Lite Rechargeable Flashlight System). Good throw, and seemingly superb smooth reflector, but typical incandescent beam artifacts. It needs the orange peel treatment, and a 3" reflector.

I haven't had time to look at the construction closely, but has anyone ever removed the plug that holds the head on? I quickly and lightly tried with a strap wrench, but it didn't budge.

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am certainly waiting for some input on this one.

I just purchased a MagCharger in B/S/T, and it hasn't arrived yet. Also, I have some Welsh Allyn bulbs and PowerStream cells on the way.
This is my first foray into high performance incandescent lights.

I will be checking this thread often as it developes.

Until then, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Otokoyama

Enlightened
I looked it over a little more closely last night. The "plug" appears to be an integral part of the body. The head is difficult to remove beyond the knurled part of the body, so I didn't try. I'll keep at it.

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't see the plug you mentioned. I removed the lens ring/reflector assy, and pulled down on the head. The head on mine slides down the body, and comes off easily from the tail end. It is held in place by the tension of an o-ring.

As a side note, I'm impressed with the small size of the spot that the Magcharger produces. Is this due to a reflector difference between it, and a standard Mag plastic reflector, or the small size of the filament?

I'd like to see a high dome or side emitter in this reflector. Also, It would perform better, if it could be removed, and given lambda's sputtering treatment. All the artifacts could easily be removed.
Also a shame, is that a UCL can't be installed.
The spot is about the same size as my Megaclops SE, A side emitting 5W in a Mag reflector.

Did you notice in the users manual, that it is Type III hard anodized? I didn't know that. I think it's a damn serviceable light for the money.

Otokoyama

Enlightened
Mine hangs up on the knurling, though appears like it could slide off with a bit of force. Thanks.

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, the plug you mentioned, is the part that is in the barrel, similar to the hotlips?
Hmm, I'm going in for another look...

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I looked again, and it appears that the bulb base has vertical slots in it that may be for a sort of spanner wrench.
Lookng into the barrel from the tail, it looks as if there are dimples in the bottom of the assembly, as well. These are almost surely for a spanner.

Otokoyama

Enlightened
The Magcharger is a very nicely made light with great fit and finish. It's very solid and not nearly as amenable to modding as its simpler cousins. It's clearly not made to be user-serviceable, except for bulb replacement.

With a bit of fiddling with bulb centering, I've managed to get a fair beam out of the superb stock smooth reflector ... but it's crying out for a 3" orange peel reflector ... and guess what's happening in Visio in the other window. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif The main problem really is the charger, which expects the original head.

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're thinking of making a new head for it, I don't see why it wouldn't work.
If the new head maintained the original's contour for a portion of the bottom of the head, then the section of the charger avove that could be cut off. For all that matters, the whole head section of the charger could be cut off.

It appears that only you and I are interested in the disassembly of, and mods to the MagCharger.

mohr

Newly Enlightened
mmmmm, maybe i am wrong and the new style magcharger is different but my old magcharger can be unscrewed between the two chargerrings and the head can be easyly removed. its no problem to replace the lens with a UCL lens. i am using a UCL LDF (light diffusion film) that fits the standard D cell head.

Otokoyama

Enlightened
I'm sure it would work, in fact I've got it designed already. The head part of the charger doesn't really seem to serve a too useful purpose, other than perhaps helping position the light for recharging. It could easily be removed.

I think most folks are interested in the EDC or near-EDC lights, and the Magcharger doesn't qualify, unless your job demands it. It's a big, heavy light.

Otokoyama

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
mohr said:... my old magcharger can be unscrewed between the two chargerrings ...

[/ QUOTE ]That's the logical place. I just don't want to force mine for fear of breaking it.

mohr

Newly Enlightened
just unscrew it with your hands, it worked at my magcharger (but that could be because i am 188 cm, and 95 Kg /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif)

mohr

Newly Enlightened
the magcharger is my favorite EDC light (for police duty) its powerfull, lot of accessories, and strong enough to use it as a baton, it has the same size as the german policelight (mag 3-4 D cell) and can be easly made into a 500 lumen beast. (my backup is a wolf-eyes 6T)

Otokoyama

Enlightened
I haven't followed many threads on modifying the Magcharger. How do you get it up to 500 lumens?

I will likely make some more of these 3" reflector add-ons ("The Mag Daddy"). This one fits the standard Maglite, but I'm more interested in a design to fit the Magcharger, and will get a chance soon to bring that to metal.

In a 2D Mag with 5D Magnum Star Xenon bulb powered by 6 NiMH AAs, this smoothie outthrows everything else I have. With 500 lumens? Hmmm.
MagDaddyFront-s.jpg

jhanko

Enlightened
The whole flashlight simply unscrews and slides apart. The bulb socket and switch are one piece and can be removed by unscrewing the switch assm, pulling off the rubber boot and sliding the switch/socket out while pushing in the switch button. Here are some very poor quality pics. Sorry, my camera sucks.

Jeff
mc01.jpg

mc02.jpg

mc03.jpg

mc04.jpg

mc05.jpg

Otokoyama

Enlightened
JHanko: Thanks. Seeing your pictures gave me the confidence to get out a strap wrench. The light easily unthreaded right between the two contacts, without using much leverage at all.

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, MagDaddy.
I'm interested, if you make some.

Also, I was looking at the PowerStream site. There are 1/2 D cells that would give 50% more runtime than the stock stick, but they are NiMH, and would require removing the cells to charge, or modifying the charger.

I'm thinking that it would be nice if the charger were modified, to retain the original serviceablility of the MagCharger, but that may be quite a task, at least for me.

And the cells could be charged faster than with the stock stick.

Thanks for the pics guys...

jhanko

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Otokoyama said:
I haven't followed many threads on modifying the Magcharger. How do you get it up to 500 lumens?

[/ QUOTE ]

Otokoyama,
Two popular drop in bulbs for the Magacharger are the Welch Allyn 01111 and 01160.
http://www.walamp.com/detail.asp?partnumber=01111
http://www.walamp.com/detail.asp?partnumber=01160
Both of these bulbs will put out over 400 lumens with the MC's 6 volt pack. I have never tried the 01160's cause it's rated at 5 volts and might have a very short life. I have been using 01111's for many years with no problems. The socket will get very hot if you leave it on for a long time. You just missed out on a group buy for these bulbs.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=groupbuy&Number=358041&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1
If you want, PM me your address and I'll mail you a 01111 to try out...

Jeff