• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

vinhnguyen54 Modding McClicky a Switch for Solar Force Hosts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
If you installed a Mcclicky switch in a solarforce host you might notice that the light runs on all the time regardless of whether the click is engage or not. The reason is because the clicky got shorted by the aluminum retaining ring that holds the clicky in the tail cap. Here is a fix. You can use tape in place of heat shrink tubing too is you want.
DSC04670.jpg

The purpose of the heat shrink tubing is to isolate the retaining ring so that it wouldn't short the two shown arrows.
DSC04674.jpg

DSC04675.jpg

DSC04676.jpg

Last edited:

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
vin, nice solution, but why this shorting did not happpen to me?

I had the plastic isollator ring removed form the retaining ring, and the switch seats in that recess. Thus the tabs are free of any contact.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
I think it's just the 2011 Solar Forces host that have tight fitment and potential short hazards.

ackbar

Enlightened
It has happened to my first gen L2P too. I had to adjust it so that the switch was perfectly centred in the switch.

d337944

Enlightened
To get past this shorting I just used a small grinding "cone" attachment for my drill, and ground the inside of the retaining ring to widen it a little! Very simple - and only took about 20 second of grinding to be enough.

The end result is clean, and does not require any kind of heat shrinking tube or anything.

Either way works ... all depends on what you may have on hand!

Cheers

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never was sure if mcclicky would easily fit L2 tailcap. What about the L2s where the body and tailcaps both have square knurls?

Edit: I think it's the same tailcap as the regular L2. Sweet :)

Last edited:

Diablo_331

Enlightened
I took the hard road when I modded mine. I cut down the tailcap body threads, shortened the hight of the brass ring, added a modded washer to act as a spacer, and finally opened up the inner diameter after the tailcap threads (closest the the boot). It wasn't hard and is self explanitory once you have it sitting in front of you. The only tools that I used was a dremel, bench vise, and needle nose pliers to tighten the brass ring. It took about 20 minutes of work after I figured out how I wanted to do it. Easier ways exists but this was how I did it. Here are a few photos.
2012-03-16133314.jpg

2012-03-16134116.jpg

Last edited:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, just wondering if I can fit a McClicky into a Solarforce P1 host.

I think you can but McClicky are meant got high current usage and the P1 is not a good high current drain host as plastic doesn't conduct heat good.

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
I think you can but McClicky are meant got high current usage and the P1 is not a good high current drain host as plastic doesn't conduct heat good.

I was more thinking to have the McClicky as a high quality dependable switch then for a high current application. I don't plan on passing 1.5 amps in this host and that's with copper tape connecting the pill to the metal in the battery tube.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
I was more thinking to have the McClicky as a high quality dependable switch then for a high current application. I don't plan on passing 1.5 amps in this host and that's with copper tape connecting the pill to the metal in the battery tube.

McClikies are very fine switch. But I have GREAT luck with Solarforce switches too. :)

fgials

Newly Enlightened
So you don't need the brass ring for the mcclicky to screw into a solarforce? What all is required to make it work? Pics? thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.