Oldest Freezer Food?

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
Cooked a ham yesterday that I bought in November of 1999. It had been marked down because it had reached it's expiration date. Threw it in the freezer and forgot about it. Still here to tell about it. What's the oldest thing you've pulled out of the freezer and eaten? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
oldgrandpajack

RevDavid

Enlightened
About two years for me... I yield to you on this one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Has it been twentyfour hours yet?!? Let us know how you are doing! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

PS... I once heard that people in Siberia found a mammoth thawing out of the ice, and made some stew out of it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif
I am not even sure if I hope that one is true. lol

David <><

hula

Newly Enlightened
Can't say I've eaten anything that old that it's worthy of note but I did see a guy on TV open and eat a tin of corned beef from the late forties. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick.gif

Hula.

AlphaTea

Enlightened
OK folks, beat this.
I just celebrated my 25th wedding anniversary in June.
Every year we cut off a small piece of our original wedding cake and eat it.
Not much left, but it is the original cake... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Back in '66 while in Basic Training, we got to eat some C-Rations dated in 1945! The stuff was older than most of the guys in Basic! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
I have some veal cutlets that have been in the freezer since 1994. I know this because we got the freezer and filled it the same day. Nobody at the house likes veal cutlets. Do I dare thaw them out for a chance at the record? We open that freezer one or two time a year. Most of the time the door is blocked. Now that I think about it, why do I have that freezer?

Darell

Flashaholic
In the year 2001, my mom made soup from half a pig that has been in the bottom of her chest freezer since.... drum roll here please... 1973. No misprint, and no joke. Out of the entire pig, there was about two pounds of edible, non-freezer-bruned pork in the middle. Why she used any of it, is beyond me. Yes I had a taste, and it was simply insanely salty, with no other flavor.

My mom is always proud to point out that she purchased this chest freezer USED before I was born 38 years ago. WHY she needs it is still beyond me.

Saaby

Flashaholic
I should go digging...we've got some pretty old stuff and we don't even have a formal freezer, just the one above the fridge. Not so much meat, but I bet there's chocolate in there that's older than I am. My family has this obsession with freezing chocolate. The only thing I can see that is good about freezing chocolate is that I won't eat it. Frozen you can't taste it and when it thaws it's usually white and blochy and/or covered in condensation /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Bill.H

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
DieselDave said:
Now that I think about it, why do I have that freezer?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, DOH! To keep your veal cutlets in! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saaby, that is probably WHY they freeze the chocolate! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The only things I put in the freezer or fridge, are things I actually use.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Mom made me some Split Pea Soup in 1996. I put it in my Freezer.

She passed away later that year.

The split pea soup is still in my Freezer, and still looks good (it is in a zip lock bag).

I cant bring myself to eat it, and I cant bear to throw it away.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently ate some FISH (King Makeral) that is SIX years old.
I caught these in Florida back then. The saving grace here is that the fillets were frozen in water, and the bags were air tight.

NO freezer burn, and tasted great.

Ross

Enlightened
It's not food, but I have a bottle of Smirnoff Blue Label Vodka thats been in the bottom drawer of my freezer for 4 years....I cant bring myself to open it

Ross

Darell

Flashaholic
If anybody beats 1973 meat, I'm buying him or her lunch. Probably a nice pork sandwich.

And BTW, it was split pea soup that my mom made with the pork, for anybody who's keeping records here.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ewww, you guys are grossing me out. All I can say is we get a Christmas turkey at work and it is often times Thanksgiving of the next year before we cook it and it has always been fine.

Tomas

Banned
Uh, my first wife still has some of her wedding cake from March of '67 in her freezer.

Why? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif

BradN

Newly Enlightened
I read one time that a Twinky had a shelf life of 27 years...so, in 1988, I put one in a jar and sealed it up. I still have it on a shelf by my workbench at work. It's hard as a rock but I'm not opening it until 2105.

As far as freezer foods go, my mother in law has some shelled pecans in her freezer from about 10 years ago. Anyone want some pecan pie?

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
As long as we are talking about eating old gross food...A guy at work will take his Chinese food, steak, sandwich or whatever and if he doesn't finish it will put it in his drawer and eat it the next day. He doesn't even have it in a bag or sealed container, just an open plate. Up until 6 months ago I would berate him about it and he would say he has done it for years and never gets sick. Six months ago is when he stayed home for 3 days with food poisoning. Believe it or not he started doing it again a month after the incident. It makes me want to puke when he pulls it out. He is a 30 year retired Senior Master Chief, Corpsman, you would think he'd know better.

RevDavid

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
JohnK said:
I recently ate some FISH (King Makeral) that is SIX years old.
I caught these in Florida back then. The saving grace here is that the fillets were frozen in water, and the bags were air tight.

NO freezer burn, and tasted great.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a cool idea. I have never heard of that. I ate some two year old trout once, but it had become somewhat freezedried, kind of like astronaut trout, I guess... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
It tasted kind of so-so. I have had both salmon and halibut that were up to two years old, but they were vaccuum sealed and flash frozen. They were just like new. Your method would be easier and cheaper. I like it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

David <><