Lost my travel flashlight (Quark Mini 2xAA) - buy another, or different light?

mmace1

Enlightened
I really liked the form factor and battery type (2xAA), which at the time was unique, for travel. I know since then Eagletec has made a similar light, and possibly others have as well.

So - for a minimalistic 2xAA light, Quark Mini 2xAA, or is there something potentially better?

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really liked the form factor and battery type (2xAA), which at the time was unique, for travel. I know since then Eagletec has made a similar light, and possibly others have as well.

So - for a minimalistic 2xAA light, Quark Mini 2xAA, or is there something potentially better?
I think only you can realistically answer this.

If you liked the Quark and would be happy with another, then why not.

However there is no shortage of truly great flashlights available at all budgets on the market today. The choice is vast. And it's likely down to opinion more than anything else on which are the best ones.

mmace1

Enlightened
I think only you can realistically answer this.

If you liked the Quark and would be happy with another, then why not.

However there is no shortage of truly great flashlights available at all budgets on the market today. The choice is vast. And it's likely down to opinion more than anything else on which are the best ones.

That was really vague and not really useful, but thanks.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would buy the Eagletac D25A2 S2 cool white. The threads are buttery smooth and works really well. Personally I prefer this over the Quark mini 2xAA.

chenko

Enlightened
I don't know any slimmer 2xAA lights than the Quark mini you've lost. If I lost it though, I would not be buying it again because I hate the twisty action, and had to get rid of a Quark mini myself because of that: as of now, if size and weight was a matter of absolute importance, I'd take a 1xAA with a clicky over a twisty 2xAA for sure.

Or... get a zebralight SC51 which is a 1xAA light that is as bright or brighter than most 2xAA lights out there (200 OTF lumens). I would pick the "W" (neutral) or "C" (hi-cri) version over the cool one, of course. Spare battery will make up for the gained space and you will be able to carry the light in you pocket too. Easy peasy! :)

regulation

Newly Enlightened
Why not give another similar products a try? Sometimes it is not so bad to have some new experience at all.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
sorry to hear about the loss
Ive recently been EDCing my Quark warm mini AA2.
The clip is VERY strong, Ive had a spare Fenix 2AA holster and it fits geat with the Quark mini AA2 for belt carry.
You may want to consider getting another Quark mini AA2, the "warm" version from 4 Sevens. Its always a drag losing an EDC light and the Quark mini AA2 is a nice light. At least you have an 'excuse' to get a possibly more appealing version of a light you know you will enjoy.

campingnut

Enlightened
In the Redwoods just North of the Golden Gate
I too have lost my Quark AA recently and have been pondering my next purchase (not that I NEED another light, I just need one more, okay maybe two). I will also recommend the Zebralight SC51. I have been thinking about that choice for awhile (I own the H51 - headlamp version of the SC51). I love my Nitecore D11 as well. I will eventually replace the Quark AA, but I am searching for something different right now. Two more to think about...the Jetbeam RRT-0 and the PA10.

Maybe I need three more lights... :candle: Good luck in your search!

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
That was really vague and not really useful, but thanks.
Sorry, was not trying to be vague, but who am I or anyone else for that matter, to tell you what to do and what to buy?

If you want an alternative to the Quark, then yes, there are loads of options. But whether they are better or not would only serve to be my opinion and not a fact. :)

Personally I like the EagleTac D series, I gifted a D25A2 to my brother, very nice and very compact. I myself have the D25LC2, a bit wider but a fair bit shorter and brighter.

So with regards to "Better", I'd personally opt for a CR123A powered flashlight or a single AA that can run on 14500's over any 2AA form factor.

So with that in mind, I like the idea of the Xeno E03 on a 14500, Klarus NT20, Sunwayman V10A or a V10R or something like a JetBEAM PC10.

However what is best for you or 'better' might well depend on do you want throw or flood, range of brightness modes such as a really low firefly mode or high powered turbo modes. And then how important is actual size, if you want slimmer then there are probably some 2xAAA flashlights you could look at too.

Just to throw some names out there:

-the new Mini Maglite Pro+ 245 lumen and classic design, great value too
-Klarus XT2A, P2A or ST20
-JetBeam PA20, BA20
-Fenix PD20, E21
-4Sevens Preon 2
-Thrunite Neutron 2A

Plus many others I'm sure.

mmace1

Enlightened
Sorry, was not trying to be vague, but who am I or anyone else for that matter, to tell you what to do and what to buy?

If you want an alternative to the Quark, then yes, there are loads of options. But whether they are better or not would only serve to be my opinion and not a fact. :)

Personally I like the EagleTac D series, I gifted a D25A2 to my brother, very nice and very compact. I myself have the D25LC2, a bit wider but a fair bit shorter and brighter.

So with regards to "Better", I'd personally opt for a CR123A powered flashlight or a single AA that can run on 14500's over any 2AA form factor.

So with that in mind, I like the idea of the Xeno E03 on a 14500, Klarus NT20, Sunwayman V10A or a V10R or something like a JetBEAM PC10.

However what is best for you or 'better' might well depend on do you want throw or flood, range of brightness modes such as a really low firefly mode or high powered turbo modes. And then how important is actual size, if you want slimmer then there are probably some 2xAAA flashlights you could look at too.

Just to throw some names out there:

-the new Mini Maglite Pro+ 245 lumen and classic design, great value too
-Klarus XT2A, P2A or ST20
-JetBeam PA20, BA20
-Fenix PD20, E21
-4Sevens Preon 2
-Thrunite Neutron 2A

Plus many others I'm sure.

And sorry, that was rude of me to say anyway. Thanks for the input!

mmace1

Enlightened
sorry to hear about the loss
Ive recently been EDCing my Quark warm mini AA2.
The clip is VERY strong, Ive had a spare Fenix 2AA holster and it fits geat with the Quark mini AA2 for belt carry.
You may want to consider getting another Quark mini AA2, the "warm" version from 4 Sevens. Its always a drag losing an EDC light and the Quark mini AA2 is a nice light. At least you have an 'excuse' to get a possibly more appealing version of a light you know you will enjoy.

Unfortunately it was the warm version that I lost...so no clear upgrade for me.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want minimalist with a punch, try a Quark AA with a 14500 cell, smaller, handier plus much brighter. Then you can revert to regular AA's should the cell run out of juice.

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want minimalist with a punch, try a Quark AA with a 14500 cell, smaller, handier plus much brighter. Then you can revert to regular AA's should the cell run out of juice.
+1

Quark AA or Quark Mini AA are both awesome when you put a 14500 in them. But of course the mini one won't be as durable in the long run if you do on max all the time.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too have lost my Quark AA recently and have been pondering my next purchase (not that I NEED another light, I just need one more, okay maybe two). (...) Two more to think about...the Jetbeam RRT-0 and the PA10. (...)
+1
PA10 seems to be a great light, can't wait to get my hands on it - was hoping the postman to deliver it today but it seems it won't be before tomorrow...:shakehead

It runs both on a 14500 or a AA. Just keep in mind that when using the 14500 you only have turbo and lose the other modes (just like the Fenix LD10). The turbo on 14500 is supposed to be 600 lumens. If you expect to use it mainly on AA and switch throw in the 14500 only when you need the extra lumens then you won't have a problem.

I already have a PA20 and I absolutely love it!

mmace1

Enlightened
You could get the HCRI version.

Good suggestion, but oddly enough -I don't like the HCRI version. Too warm of a beam (I really prefer "neutral" to all other tints).

It's looking like I'll go ahead and get the Eagletac 2xAA Neutral from Illumination Gear (some people say it's better than the Quark, no-one has said it's worse). I like that the medium setting is higher output than the Mini 2xAA. And also like that it is higher, yet with barely any runtime loss (that inefficient mid-level was always a sore sport).

Lot's of great suggestions, but for travel I really like very small/light. I'm also not down for lithium-ion in general (charger *just* for my flashlights...oh that's taking it to far). I only own..well once that one is replaced, 3 flashlights to begin with. Not to mention if worst comes to worst, I can buy alkalines when traveling if using an AA based light.

1xAA is a form factor I again, oddly enough, just don't like. Very awkward size/performance for my tastes. Even if it is from Zebralight (if they made a 2xAA...I'd be all over it...and I may get their upcoming 4xaa light). e.g. - my 3 current lights: DQG II (minimalistic AAA light), Quark Mini 2xAA (prior to loss), and TK41 (8xAA). Those are the sizes I like...

mmace1

Enlightened
To answer my own question, on the off chance this turns up via search for another person:

I bought the Eagletac D25A2, and prefer it a decent amount over the Quark Mini 2xAA:

Pros:
Brighter/more useful level 2 (claimed ~60 vs. ~36 lumens), but with little reduction in runtime.
No battery rattle vs. a lot without putting a piece of magazine paper in
Much larger lanyard hole. - I never succeeded in getting a lanyard in the mini, but this is easy.
Smoother threads
If twisted to a little past off, and the head is pressed in- the Eagletac does *not* turn on vs. obviously the opposite
On Eagletac - the tailcap doesn't screw off. One less thing to go loose, and why would it need to screw off anyway...

Cons:
Too many disco modes (5...)
Periphery of beam isn't as smooth as Quark mini (there's an outer, dimmer, ring). I don't care, but I know some would.

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
To answer my own question, on the off chance this turns up via search for another person:

I bought the Eagletac D25A2, and prefer it a decent amount over the Quark Mini 2xAA:

Pros:
Brighter/more useful level 2 (claimed ~60 vs. ~36 lumens), but with little reduction in runtime.
No battery rattle vs. a lot without putting a piece of magazine paper in
Much larger lanyard hole. - I never succeeded in getting a lanyard in the mini, but this is easy.
Smoother threads
If twisted to a little past off, and the head is pressed in- the Eagletac does *not* turn on vs. obviously the opposite
On Eagletac - the tailcap doesn't screw off. One less thing to go loose, and why would it need to screw off anyway...

Cons:
Too many disco modes (5...)
Periphery of beam isn't as smooth as Quark mini (there's an outer, dimmer, ring). I don't care, but I know some would.

You got me looknig at that light again, I am very much considering one.

Anyone know what the rating is on this light? It says ANSI OTF4​ . What is ANSI OTF4​ ??? What's the difference from being just ANSI?

EDIT: I think it means it's 209ANSI for only 4 minutes (Turbo Boost Technology)'
Correct me if I am wrong! It's just a guess.

Last edited: