Car LED Spotlights

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpollard

Newly Enlightened
Hi All

i've been thinking of adding more light to my car, but in a small package so i was thinking of LED's. in an effort to reduce design and manufacturing i was thinking of using Drop-ins with SST-90;s or similar. do people know good ones or of an alternative?

cheers

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi All

i've been thinking of adding more light to my car, but in a small package so i was thinking of LED's. in an effort to reduce design and manufacturing i was thinking of using Drop-ins with SST-90;s or similar. do people know good ones or of an alternative?

cheers
Adding random lights to your car for use on public roads is illegal and unsafe. Tell us more about what you mean by "more light" and we can help you find safe, legal options (That won't have your insurance broker pulling your hair out after a collision).

If you mess with safety lighting on your car, or add unsafe lighting, you can be considered 'at fault' in novel and exciting ways (Judge, I couldn't see a thing, so I swerved right off the road with lipstick in one hand and coffee in the other. He OUGHT TO pay for the medical bills and a new car for me!).

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Wouldn't a car spot light be one of those things you use to see signs, lost dogs, etc, like you aim them from the driver's seat? (as opposed to an additional forward beam?)

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wouldn't a car spot light be one of those things you use to see signs, lost dogs, etc, like you aim them from the driver's seat? (as opposed to an additional forward beam?)
If that's the case, then it seems to me like the biggest trouble would be an aimable mount. I've driven state-surplus retired police cars with 55W spotlights on the driver's door post - they're fun!

If that's the route you plan to go, then electrically speaking, you'll want a dropin that can take 13.8v or so (Running alternator, fully-charged battery). Get a dropin built for throw (I guess?) in a thermally capable housing. As for the controls and aiming, your guess is as good as mine. Electrically speaking, a clicky button wouldn't be hard to wire in, either running a relay or just taking all the amps through it.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Adding random lights to your car for use on public roads is illegal and unsafe. Tell us more about what you mean by "more light" and we can help you find safe, legal options .

Yes that's true I nearly got arrested due to green fog lamps a few years ago. a 45 minute traffic stop WTF?! and a court date and an inspection ticket!
I admit nothing is more annoying from a lumenessence standpoint that a large off road SUV with baja or 'lunar surface' ultra high intensity lights.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
If that's the case, then it seems to me like the biggest trouble would be an aimable mount. I've driven state-surplus retired police cars with 55W spotlights on the driver's door post - they're fun!.

OK from my experience the police spot light DOES REALLY ANNOY people, especially if you use it in a residential area to read a house number. Today you might be MUCH better of with a hi powered LED light like Tiablo A9 for automotive spot light duty. it can disappear quickly if some problem arises.. "what light?" etc

Status
Not open for further replies.