Recording audio to computer- need help!

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm trying to record a VoIP call so that I can record my voicemail messages to my computer. I managed to hook up a microphone and record from my computer speakers, but that introduces hiss and I'm more interested in recording the audio that is being sent to the speakers, not from the speakers themselves.

I'm using windows vista, and I have Sony Sound Forge as an audio recorder.

My audio device is run by Realtek HD Audio manager and it has a setting for digital output, however I don't get any response on my audio monitor except with the external microphone.

I have these options under recording preferences:
  1. Microsoft Sound Mapper
  2. Direct Sound Sound Mapper
  3. Windows Classic Wave Driver
Choosing between them doesn't make any difference.

Any ideas where I could start?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
You can always start a packet capture in Wireshark, listen to the messages, stop the capture and then extract the voip stream and save it. It's a little messy but you wind up with a direct capture of the voip packets off the wire.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
When in win I use the great, tiny freeware program CDex. It's been around for years, it's open source, free and has a GPL.

It has a huge feature set and it will run on Vista.

Features:

http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/?q=features
Tried it, but same problem, no audio.
You can always start a packet capture in Wireshark, listen to the messages, stop the capture and then extract the voip stream and save it. It's a little messy but you wind up with a direct capture of the voip packets off the wire.
Too complex. Just need help getting my audio recorder to recognize the line-out and record that data in real time.

Last edited:

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
For years I've used a free program called 'Audacity' which under most circumstances can easily record anything playing through your soundcard, and allow you to easily save and edit it.

However, things are a bit tougher in the Win7 / Vista universe given all the DRM mumbo-jumbo combined with integrated audio chipsets having very limited functionality so these capture programs can do their stuff.

Audacity is worth trying though, and if you have a good enough audio chipset it will record anything played through your audio channels with perfect fidelity.

Ahh....here we go. I'm also using a Realtek chipset on my Win7 box and Audacity has a fix for a default setting problem. Try the following the link and scroll down to the Windows 7 / Vista part. That tells you how to enable the Realtel HDA because by default it's inactive and hidden. good chance this will fix your issue without needing Audacity.

http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Mixer_Toolbar_Issues

Last edited: