Battery Robustness..

ikeyballz

Newly Enlightened
Alkaline vs. Ni-MH (LSD) vs. Lithium Primary

Out of these three, which would be the best suited in my environment?

Its going to be my car flashlight (Quark AA2 Tactical) - stored in my glovebox for emergencies/roadside repairs/oil checking. The only two settings I will be using is Turbo and Medium.

Usage will be very sporadic, could go one, two weeks maybe even months without usage before I need it to work for a few hours. It will sit in my glove so it will probably shift around and could bump things. I don't mind doing monthly/quarterly checks on the light to grease, change batteries. My problem with this kind of usage has always been that the batteries croak when I don't notice it leaking battery acid everywhere and corroding my circuit board/switch/threads.

The car is in Hawaii and I do occasionally leave it parked out in the sun so temperatures will range from 60-110F. Nothing too extreme.

I am assuming alkaline is a bad idea in case they rupture(wet type)? Between some Ni-MH Eneloops and Lithium Primary (Energizer Ultimate Lithiums) installed plus a pair extra what would be the better idea? Since it gets such low and sporadic usage, I really don't mind having to purchase lithiums at $5-6 a pair at the local convenience stores if they will be more robust.

Thanks for the help! (and yes, I did search but my google-fu may be weak).

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Problem is that 100* in the sun can easily equal a temperature approaching near 180* around the dash. In that extreme Lithiums are the only option I would consider for a limited and sporadic use light.

ikeyballz

Newly Enlightened
Exactly what I was suspecting....

Thanks guys! I'll have two lithium cells in the light, with two backup.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Problem is that 100* in the sun can easily equal a temperature approaching near 180* around the dash. In that extreme Lithiums are the only option I would consider for a limited and sporadic use light.

yea store the light under the seat... or at a minimum, under a white cloth
that will be the coolest place in a hot car

archimedes

Flashaholic
Exactly what I was suspecting....

Thanks guys! I'll have two lithium cells in the light, with two backup.

Probably obvious, but make sure the spare batteries are stored in such a way that their contacts are prevented from the possibility of an accidental short, too :)

ikeyballz

Newly Enlightened
I will definitely be storing the backup batteries in their original packaging. I don't have any space under my seats (small car) but my glove box is not under my dash, its between my driver and passenger seat (s2000) so it should hopefully not be too hot. I have tint on my side windows and if I leave my car parked outside for a long period of time I do keep the sunshade up...

Now I just have to figure out how I'll keep 6 eneloops cycled between a Quark MiNi AA and two Quark AAs... :lol:

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
Would the boot (trunk) be cooler than the interior of the car ? No windows to let in all that solar energy, and a bit more thermal mass around as well.

bbb74

Enlightened
If you are concerned about heat in the car, you could always store the light in a thermos flask if you have an unused one!

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Lots of threads on this topic already, all easily found via the 'Google search' box for 'car glovebox light'.
Those threads nearly always provide a good discussion of appropriate cells to use, one example being this one.
Best regards,

ikeyballz

Newly Enlightened
Lots of threads on this topic already, all easily found via the 'Google search' box for 'car glovebox light'.
Those threads nearly always provide a good discussion of appropriate cells to use, one example being this one.
Best regards,

Thanks! That could be the problem - i was searching "battery robustness" and stuff along those lines...

Kestrel

Flashaholic
No worries. :) I think that the most demanding duty that cells have is in car gloveboxes et al. Temperatures ranging from -30F to 160F is challenging for most all cell chemistries. In contrast, my LiIon rechargeables live a pampered 'Club Med'-type of existence in my battery storage box & indoor flashlights.