Help my wife stop losing her keys!

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife has a tendency to lose things. Recently she managed to misplace her keys, unfortunately, and still hasn't found them! Sadly, there was also an Arc-AAA on her keyring. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

To prevent her from losing the keys in the future, is there any sort of "beacon" or remote-activated buuzer or homing device... or anything else that could be attached to her keyring to make finding it easier? I'd appreciate your help on this one!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
Hi Scott -

1. Keep the Arc AAA on at all times.
2. Add a glow ring and look for them at night.
3. <s>Staple them to her forehead </s>

The best way I've found to not lose keys is to have a very specific place that they're put whenever I enter the house. On top of that, I don't carry keys. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif The car I drive, the bicycle I ride and the door locks on the house don't actually require them.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Several years ago I installed a keyring hook right on the inside edge of the door and yet it is brand new, with no scuffs or marks on it, because she never uses it and out of some titanium-tough unbreakable habit wants to walk into the house and put her keys down in some new random place each time.

With one a those beeper systems she would probably misplace the base activator!

d'mo

Enlightened
Since I installed a glow ring on my wife's keys, they have been easy to find! Now I have them on practically all of my flashlights, watches and anything else that gets lost easily.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i've got a glowring on my keys....surprisingly i haven't lost them yet! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
she should have the keys attached by the small wires that retract back onto their base after you're done with them..

i usually see electricians or janitor's with them.. but i haven't found anywhere to get them.

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
BlindedByTheLite said:
she should have the keys attached by the small wires that retract back onto their base after you're done with them..

i usually see electricians or janitor's with them.. but i haven't found anywhere to get them.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about one of these ?

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
Several years ago I installed a keyring hook right on the inside edge of the door and yet it is brand new, with no scuffs or marks on it, because she never uses it and out of some titanium-tough unbreakable habit wants to walk into the house and put her keys down in some new random place each time.

With one a those beeper systems she would probably misplace the base activator!

[/ QUOTE ]

Charlie, while specifics vary, this sounds exactly like my wife! She's what I affectionately refer to as "artsy." If we go with the beeper system, I'll hold onto the base activator myself. I just hope she doesn't leave the keys somewhere out of range... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like she needs to become one with her keys. Send them away on a retreat to get to know each other better. That might help her bond with her keys, and not lose them as easily.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Mike

Mark_van_Gorkom

Enlightened
Just make a few spare sets of keys (and paint them all dayglo orange...) I'm constantly "misplacing" stuff myself, and it usually turns up again after a few days.
Only way I can keep track of my keys is by locking the door as soon as I get home, and leaving them in the door; this way it's almost impossible to forget them when leaving. This only works in single households however... (or you have to use different doors??)

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
BlindedByTheLite, thanks for the idea, but I need to mention that the main problem takes place when she puts the whole keyring down. So even with those retracting wire accessories (which have plenty of geek appeal by the way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ), she would simply put the WHOLE THING in some unknown location at some point, and they'd all be lost anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

GJW, try as I might, I simply can't maintain perfect vigilance over her keys at all times. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

You know what she needs? Some sort of GPS-aware beacon that could broadcast the keyring's exact location anytime I need it, while still being secured in some way against the "bad guys" getting the same information...

Mutie

Enlightened
I swear even if I attached a boat anchor she would lose them. She told me again the other day that I should keep a spare for her on my keyring. But she would lose my keys then too. And she already lost the spare I did have.

I never lose my keys unless I loan them to my wife.

The GPS thing sounds like a plan.

Mutech

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
WayneM said:
Three words....

functional body piercing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! She'd have to make sure that she doesn't leave a key in the lock and walk away, or she'll be losing bodyparts next!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heh. You know, I have to admit to doing the same thing. And I'm not "artsy" at all. But, no matter how many times I lose my keys and swear to always put them in the same safe place from now on, I end up throwing them wherever. It's like my conscious mind shuts completely off when I walk in the door, my subconscious makes me throw the keys somewhere they're bound to get lost, then my conscious mind wakes up again. A few weeks ago I completely lost my keys for a couple days. Turned out to be a $60 mistake -- those newfangled keys with computer chips in 'em can only be had from the car dealer, and that's the cost. Found my keys a few days after I'd paid for the new one.

I'd go for that sharper image thing for sure, if my keyring wasn't already too heavy. Frankly, I need to attach something to the remote control as well. It's practically a daily ritual that I have to pull the couches apart to find it.