a what point do you stop collecting ?

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
One day it just hit me. Don't know when or where, but I thought "what are you doing man, you're incoming flashlights are piling up and not being enjoyed". So I just stopped collecting and started enjoying. I still add one here or there but not very often.
I'm at this phase but also there are a few lights from somewhere in time that I want. I have 20 new in box Maglites waiting to be modded and some other new Streamlights just sitting around.

I wish there were more new lights that caught my interest. Surefire has lame designers. Everything is a numbers game and next year if you wait is always better stats. Everything has to have a USB port, duel fuel, and 18650 that is never compatable with anything else.

If I had maybe 10-20 rare vintage lights I could take a break from here and not miss much. But of course when I look for these lights I find other stuff that keeps me interested.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
SureFire used to have PK (Paul Kim).
With the exception of the G2 model, he designed everything that made SureFire's line-up great.... about 20 years ago. I think their E2D is the only surviving model left from back then, with a few tweaks.

Also, unless it specifically says so otherwise; every 18650 flashlight should be able to easily run on two CR123 lithium primaries. With SureFire and Watson both having 3.0v. rechargeable cells (RCR123), you have that option too. Though from experience, the Watsons are far from ideal. They work though.

PaladinNO

Enlightened
I do not consider myself a collector of lights, per se, though I currently own 51 of them. Some are certainly just for fun, a few are because I was curious to see whether this is a specific need I have, but most are for a specific purpose. And for some reason I don't have 2 of the exact same light for 2 different specific purposes - they are all different lights, though I cannot really explain why that is so. However, in time and as technology progresses, I get a new and improved light as a direct replacement for something. More output, longer runtime, better beam colour, farther throw, better flood, all of the above.

For example, I have a small light on both of my keychains. At first, that meant I had 2 lights. I have since upgraded both lights 4 times, so now I have 8 lights. Does that make me a collector? Not really. It's more defined as an evolution, I would say. Especially when considering the older keylights that won't be used anymore, and eventually will turn into a pile of rust and dust. Upgrading a light doesn't make anyone a collector, that is just the natural cycle of things.

If we are being philosophical about this, what defines a "collector"? What differentiates a collector of wall paintings and someone who just has some paintings on their wall? Personally, i would argue the collector has whatever he or she collects behind glass, just looking at them. And with paintings, that's pretty much all there is to do about it. But with flashlights, they got an actual use. Unlike paintings - personal opinion applies - flashlights are actually useful. Using a painting for illumination would be a rather...short-lived and limited experience, while a flashlight can provide a useful utility over and over and over again.

If someone were to tell me they had 250 flashlights spread around their house and car, I would think "great - this one is prepared!".
If that same person were to show me his 250 flashlights, all neatly placed in glass cabinets, I would think "ugh, what a waste...", while attempting to smile politely.

Needless to say, that second example is the collector. The first one isn't. Ask yourself, which of the two are you?
If it's the latter, eh, you probably got enough lights. But if it's the former...look for those still open nooks and crannies, and put another ligth in them. :)

Sincerely,
AristotleNO

Last edited:

TPA

Enlightened
The other problem I run into is I'll find a light I absolutely love and it works perfectly for me....then it's discontinued. Which causes me to hoard them. I probably have 8 Fenix CL20s and about 20 of the Costco Duracell lanterns (before they went to 6500K). Granted, with my particular situation, I've had all 28 of those burning simultaneously, so I guess it's not that much of an overkill.

I'm currently stocking up on BLF LT1 Minis because I see they're no longer on Sofirn's website.

@PaladinNO, What if they're placed on a glass shelf but too pretty to use; what should I then consider myself?

IMG_0916.jpeg

Rhetorical question. I don't care. 😁

buds224

Enlightened
I thought I was done after years and years of collecting. First in my collection was a Fenix LD20 gen1. I was done for a good 6 months until I spotted the LoopGear SK03. Ended up with 3 of them. Hopefully I'm actually done now.

PaladinNO

Enlightened
What if they're placed on a glass shelf but too pretty to use; what should I then consider myself?

View attachment 58460

Rhetorical question. I don't care. 😁
"That one is simple - you are obviously..."

1709336332246.jpeg

[I got nothin']

On a serious note, that was a really colourful and beautiful...collection.
Sorry, but the arrangement is clearly deliberate. ^^

But I didn't know flashlights came in so many pretty colours! A picture of water in the background would make it complete.
"I don't even need light to make a rainbow - but should I ever need it, I got plenty of light on hand". 👍

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Cheapest way to get a bunch of sweet colors is buying up Maglite Solitaires.... Display them, never use them!

Ironically my two favorite colors are black, and grey.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the typical CPF sense of "collection" I have around ten lights and I use them constantly. But then I have an actual historical collection that's a little bigger. All stuff that you wouldn't typically use these days, so I'm not gonna feel bad for wanting to put them in the hypothetical display case.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Alright, let's stop dancing around the real answer. Time to tackle it, beat it into submission. When do you stop collecting.... When you're DEAD!!!

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the typical CPF sense of "collection" I have around ten lights and I use them constantly. But then I have an actual historical collection that's a little bigger. All stuff that you wouldn't typically use these days, so I'm not gonna feel bad for wanting to put them in the hypothetical display case.
You better put them in a ****ing museum.