ripoff ebay battery`s what is the true capacity + teardown lots of photo`s

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
EDIT : SEE TEARDOWN PICTURES DOWN THE PAGE

Hi.

I bought an NEW "GUIDE10- BATTERY POWER PACK W/USB OUTPUT& 4AAs (GOAL0)" from Ebay

When i received my order, included were 4x AA 3000mah purple battery`s , Now i have been on these forums for many years and knew straight away that they were fake.

They only weighed 18.7g , when an 2000ma AA eneloop weighs 26.3g

So i emailed the seller telling him he had sent me fake battery`s and that i wanted the correct goalzero ones.

So a couple of day`s went by and nothing, so i sent another email , threatening to go to ebay/paypal, another couple of day`s went by, so i sent another email, telling him i was not going away and if he did not get back to me before this tuesday coming, I was going to report him.

Today i received an email for him, he claimed he had internet connection problems and had only just receided my emails, and he said he would send me the correct goal zero battery`s :thumbsup:

Now he claims the manufacture of the battery`s have said "Manufacturer informs us that they should reach full capacity after about the fourth or fifth charging/recharging rotation" and that they have tested the battery`s

Below is the capacity after two discharge charge cycles in my powerex mh-c9000 at discharge of 200ma and charge of 500ma, see list below.

3000.jpg

battery 1 : 489 mah
battery 2 : 826 mah
battery 3 : 791 mah
battery 4 : 747 mah

So what true capacity are these battery`s I guesses 1000mah?

Thanks

John.

Last edited:

CKOD

Enlightened
Re: ripoff ebay battery`s what is the true capacity

looks like the AAA inside a AA trick that Ive seen before on here. cant find it in the thread at the moment though.

andrewnewman

Enlightened

The "true" capacity of these is pretty close to what you measured. Did your eBay contact happen to mention who the mystery "manufacturer" was who is making the claim that they'll "get there" with cycles? I don't know where all these purple AA NiMH batteries come from and they may have at one point been legit batteries for building packs but by the time they make it into consumer hands they seem invariably to be either outright fraudulent or totally worn out. The 'AAA' inside 'AA' trick also sounds plausible but seems like a lot of trouble for someone to bother with. Who knows?

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited by a moderator:

iron potato

Enlightened

Gosh !! I got the same one, same purple too !

I bought only one piece just an itch to try out, cause really doubtful about the capacity of it ~

When I got it, its really light weight compared with Eneloop :ohgeez: So I got a hunch been had surely ~

Well, the one I got, already more than 25 cycles on C-9000 (just for fun when nothing to charge:sssh:), "consistently" gave me 52XmAh ~

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast

Most people dont have the equipment to test a battery`s trues capacity, but the weight alone should start you thinking.

The cell/mobile phone forum are filled with people thinking there buying battery`s with half a much again and some double the capacity of the oem ones, and being ripped off.

John.

Gosh !! I got the same one, same purple too !

I bought only one piece just an itch to try out, cause really doubtful about the capacity of it ~

When I got it, its really light weight compared with Eneloop :ohgeez: So I got a hunch been had surely ~

Well, the one I got, already more than 25 cycles on C-9000 (just for fun when nothing to charge:sssh:), "consistently" gave me 52XmAh ~

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am busy trying to dismantlement one of my battery`s , I have removed the label and there are no marking, It is currently being discharged, before i try to open it, and suggestions how?

John.

USSR

Newly Enlightened

discharge it by attaching some resistor accroiss it..

dismantling is easy..
just take care to do it in a place where it wont cause contaimination.. wear some sorta mask or put a cloth over your mouth and nose ..
put a news paper under on the flat ground.. and start prying it.. there are 2 or 3 plastic covers.,.
then is the metal part.. just remove the button top and it will all come outof the container..

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't have any resistors lying aound, so i have put it in a cheap 5 led 1xAA flashlight and leave it till in goes out.

John.

discharge it by attaching some resistor accroiss it..

dismantling is easy..
just take care to do it in a place where it wont cause contaimination.. wear some sorta mask or put a cloth over your mouth and nose ..
put a news paper under on the flat ground.. and start prying it.. there are 2 or 3 plastic covers.,.
then is the metal part.. just remove the button top and it will all come outof the container..

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast

As always, if it looks and sounds too good to be true, then it's almost surely not true! Always stay away from wild, bold claims..

901-Memphis

Enlightened

rofl @ 3000 mah. I can't believe they tested so poorly either. Surely the worst AA nimh will come in over 1200 mah. Must be a AAA inside.

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast

LOL I've had worse. A while ago I ordered some plastic battery cases on eBay...

The seller accidentally sent me tabbed 2800mAH AA's.

When I informed the seller of their mistake, they said just keep the cells and that they will send out my plastic battery cases.

I highly doubted the stated 2800mAH capacity, and expected about 1/2 that. Turns out they were way worse than I expected. The 2 that I tested were in the 200-300mAH range!

Needless to say, I recycled all of them.

USSR

Newly Enlightened

Most people dont have the equipment to test a battery`s trues capacity, but the weight alone should start you thinking.

The cell/mobile phone forum are filled with people thinking there buying battery`s with half a much again and some double the capacity of the oem ones, and being ripped off.

John.

good point but its not always correct..
have a look at my post on thread which i mentioned earlier.

they place a big 1.5 cm tall lead cylinder to give it some weight..

so if the weight is ok another thing is to check the balance of the cell.. i.e tie a thread in the centre or somewhere close to negative terminal and try to balance the cell .. if the cell happens to be balanced with the thread tied at centre u r looking at 'good' cell .. if the centre of balance (where the thread is tied) happens to be on one side ( mostly the thread will be close to negative terminal as the metallic spacer is on negative terminal side) then u are looking at fraudulent cell..

now the good cell can hae capacity at most 700 mAH, and fraudulent have between 20 mAH to 550 mAH.
bottom line
Never Evere expect a non branded/aka chinese cell to have capacity above 500-700 mAH for AA or AAA size.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi.

I completed the break-in test on alleged 3000mah purple AA battery`s and the average capacity was 840mah , with the capacity set to 1000mah for the test.

I also received the replacement battery`s they are Goal Zero 2300mah low-discharge battery`s , "pre-charged with a shelf life of 12-18months before the cells begin to loose their effectiveness" , but only 300-500 cycles.

John.

pinetree89

Enlightened

Way to go Tinderbox. We need a brigade of folks like you to smoke out some of these eBay sellers. I suspect the majority of all batteries sold on eBay are major frauds.

3000mAh, that's crazy talk.

czAtlantis

Enlightened

If you buy some bad fake cells, request refund or resend new ones!!! Don't say "It is not worth it"...well maybe it is not but look on it from other side - If all customers who buy fake batteries request refund, the seller will disappear or sell only quality ones. I hate sellers who sell really crappy batteries. Of course I can understand low quality chinese devices, toys atc....but when they sell 3000mAH, 4500mAh or something like this batteries and they in real have 200mAh or don't even work (recieved some *Fire cells with so big internal resistance, it won't even light up a LED in flashlight (cca 1A)) is really too much!

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just complete a break-in test on my replacement branded "Goal Zero 2300mah" , results below. :)

1 : 2331 mah
2 : 2323 mah
3 : 2334 mah
4 : 2362 mah

Blueskies123

Newly Enlightened

Why buy anything from Ebay just to save a few bucks? There are so many good resellers that are reputable. I typically only purchase from well know sites. I will not mention the name but there is guy that makes lots of videos.