Malkoff Hound Dog XM-L, Help/Advice

Matt_26

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys!

This is my first post! As I was spending so much time here, consuming vast amounts of excellent information, I thought it's time to join!

Please be easy on me! :)

The current Malkoff sale made the Hound dog XM-L a must buy for me, so I went ahead and ordered one! It hasn't arrived yet, but I want to ask for the opinions of you guys before I order my batteries and charger!

So here's my question,

I have decided on making the jump to 18650 cells, I have almost decided on two 18650 AW 3100 mah cells, and a Pila IBC charger.

I know the input voltage and the approx current draw, but I don't know how to use this information to help me decide in the best battery setup for my flashlight, especially which mah battery to choose, as I'm led to believe high drain and low drain flashlights require a different mah battery for optimum use?

I'm a complete newb in this department, and want to treat my new light to the best!

So any help/advice would be very much appreciated, and I thank you guys in advance!

Cheers,
Matthew

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello and welcome to cpf.

I own the xm-l hound dog and using aw3100 18650's with no issues. The batteries are based on the Panasonic ncr18650 cell which are probably the best currently available. The batteries are not being drained anywhere near the limit so no need for high current Imr's.
i would recommend the new xtar sp2 charger over the pila though. Much faster.

Matt_26

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the fast reply monkeyboy!

Ah I see, think i'll go ahead and order those batteries then, I'm about to look into the suggested charger now, hopefully some good uk retailers about!

What do you think of the Hound dog?

Matt.

af112566

Newly Enlightened
the hound dog xm-l is awesome.it has a great big beam on high with good throw and a very nice usable low.i think its the best of malkoffs big lights.i use the md4 body with 2 2900 aw18650's.i have a pila and the xtar charger,both are good.

Matt_26

Newly Enlightened
Good to hear good things about the light! Looking forward to recieving it now!

I have decided on AW's 18650 3100 mah batteries, just stuck between two on the charger, the Xtar sp2, or Pila IBC.

As you said both are good, I have decided to see which I can get for the best price, that might help swing my decision!

Also have a multimeter now, so can accurately keep an eye on those batteries!

Cheers guys,
Matt

vincent3664

Newly Enlightened
I also recently took advantage of the sale and purchased a Hound Dog along with an MD3 body. Already have an MD2 w/hi-lo. Can't comment on the use of 18650 batteries. I'm still using the Battery Station CR123's that came with the light and plan to use two 18500's in the future. This has to be one of the most powerful lights I own. On par with my Deerelight DBS V3 on two 18500's. I love the light but can't understand why Gene builds them with an acrylic lens at this price point. I went ahead and ordered a UCL lens from Flashlightlens.com. With a 98 to 99% light transmission and a price of $7.00 I feel I'm getting the maximum performance from this Dog. Depending on the body you're using I would recommend getting the pocket clip as well. Granted it is a bit pricey but makes for a great anti-roll device, if nothing else.

Last edited:

Gene43

Enlightened
Most of these lights go to Law Enforcement and Military. They are subject to tough environments and hard usage. I used to supply them with UCL, but so many of them were being shattered (by the end users) that I switched to the thick acrylic UCL for break resistance.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Most of these lights go to Law Enforcement and Military. They are subject to tough environments and hard usage. I used to supply them with UCL, but so many of them were being shattered (by the end users) that I switched to the thick acrylic UCL for break resistance.

That guy posting is Gene Malkoff, the owner of Malkoff devices. :)

vincent3664

Newly Enlightened
That guy posting is Gene Malkoff, the owner of Malkoff devices. :)
Understood. And the fact he responded to my post almost immediately shows the kind of customer service you will get with Malkoff. Plastic lenses or glass, he has built a reputation for making some of the best flashlights and drop-ins in the world for a reason; he listens to his customers and provides what they need.

Matt_26

Newly Enlightened
My first post and Gene Malkoff posted in it! (Sorry guys, I had to haha)I can see this getting addictive, I feel like instantly ordering a MD2 with Hi/Low to replace my current work horse Surefire 6px Pro! Which will take some beating.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been using the AW 2200mAh 18650's (black) protected cells for several years now, still on the original set in the Wildcat. Havent had any problems. Been using my Wildcat and Hound Dog lights for quite a while now, very happy with both. These are very useful lights. I switch back and forth between the MD4 and MD3 hosts depending on what I am doing. Such as flying helicopters in total darkness out on the street with the Wildcat on an MD3 body strapped to my hat.

pee10755

Newly Enlightened
I use two AW 18500 with mine. +1 on the wildcat. I use it for police work and got someone on my squad to buy one during Genes last sale. If you have one light and its use can determine your safety than Genes lights are the only lights I recommend. My wildcat is covered with dings from drops, falls, and bouncing off my lightbar while driving down the road. It always works and provides bright clean usefull light with excellent thermal management and run times. The sugar on top is that you get to support and private american owned business at the same time.

Last edited:

Matt_26

Newly Enlightened
Ah I see,

Well, I have only gone and ordered a MD3 body, instead of a MD4!! And it's already on way!

I know, I don't know how I did it either,

This kinda puts an end to my plan of using 2x18650 batteries,

I think I'll have to order a MD4 from Gene, and at the same time, order some components to make use of the MD3 I'll have spare, I feel gutted, sure I can turn it into a positive somehow though.

That is if I'm right in thinking two 18500's, will not at all compare to two 18650's.

I should of read-up some more before I dove in! Lol. I couldn't wait though.

Thanks for any help guys!

Matt.

Last edited:

vincent3664

Newly Enlightened
Ah I see,

Well, I have only gone and ordered a MD3 body, instead of a MD4!! And it's already on way!

I know, I don't know how I did it either,

This kinda puts an end to my plan of using 2x18650 batteries,

I think I'll have to order a MD4 from Gene, and at the same time, order some components to make use of the MD3 I'll have spare, I feel gutted, sure I can turn it into a positive somehow though.

That is if I'm right in thinking two 18500's, will not at all compare to two 18650's.

I should of read-up some more before I dove in! Lol. I couldn't wait though.

Thanks for any help guys!

Matt.
I think you'll be happy with the MD3 body. The MD2 is just too small for that head and the MD4 only gives you the advantage of using 2 18650's. You can only use up to 3 RCR123's with this head anyway. Also I think the MD3 body looks about the right proportional size for this light. Definitely not sized for EDC though. Question, why didn't you order them together? It would have saved you some money. I think the bodies were only about $27.00 each when ordered with the Hound Dog head. Did you remember the CPF discount code?

Last edited:

Matt_26

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for you answer Vincent!

Yes I ordered them together, there was a drop down menu on Gene's site if I remember correctly.

No I didn't know about the discount code :/, I sure would like to know for next time though, and thanks!

I'll definately give the MD3 a chance, I have yet to see it. Hopefully by the end of this week.

Im the mean time i'll decide on some batteries,

Regards,
Matt

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I have been using the AW 2200mAh 18650's (black) protected cells for several years now, still on the original set in the Wildcat. Havent had any problems. Been using my Wildcat and Hound Dog lights for quite a while now, very happy with both. These are very useful lights. I switch back and forth between the MD4 and MD3 hosts depending on what I am doing. Such as flying helicopters in total darkness out on the street with the Wildcat on an MD3 body strapped to my hat.

Good to see you still around Gary!! Hope all is well with you.