Best kind of lube for O-rings and Nitrolon

richpalm

Banned
....for my 10X which squeals like a demon when I turn the battery. What kind of local hardware store lube is good for the O-rings without deteriorating Nitrolon? Just want to find someting locally.

Thanks,

Rich

Tombeis

Enlightened
Get silicon grease at you local hardware plumbing department. Silicone grease is made for O-Ring lubrication. Cost around $1.95.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my tub of silicone grease at a diving shop. You may want to check them out too, whichever one is nearer for you...

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Tombeis said:
Get silicon grease at you local hardware plumbing department. Silicone grease is made for O-Ring lubrication. Cost around $1.95.

[/ QUOTE ] Tom has been using this for a long time and it works.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
ufokillerz said:
would nyogel work though?
i was lead to believe vaseline would eat away at the o-rings over time?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I use the 779zc and it works great. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Datasaurusrex

Enlightened
I have a can of "food grade silicon spray." I use it on my knives... would this work for nyogel o-rings and any other o-ring?

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Dukester said:
What about Vaseline?

[/ QUOTE ]

It can degrade rubber. Don't use it unless you know the o-rings aren't vulnerable. I think the ARC AAA uses petrochemical-immune o-rings. I use SuperLube and have had no problems.

SUPERLUBE SYNTHETIC GREASE

Brightnorm

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
i've been using vaseline on all my lights with no problems though...maglites, surefires, and arcs included /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
perchance said:
I use silicone grease that I brought at Lowe's, made by
Solder Seal Gunk, contains no petroleum additives.

[/ QUOTE ]

I picked up the same thing at Lowes this weekend. I tried to re-lube my SF L1 tonight and it seems like this stuff is thicker than might be optimal. Do you find this to be the case?

-john

illumiGeek

Enlightened
Avoid petrolium based lubes on O rings - they make rubber swell. On "weather proof" lights with looser fitting rings this may not be a serious problem. But on dive lights with tighter seals it can seize the fittings and make the light very difficult to open.

Silicone is usually the recommended lube for O rings.

Datasaurusrex

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Datasaurusrex said:
I have a can of "food grade silicon spray." I use it on my knives... would this work for nyogel o-rings and any other o-ring?

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that because of the very thin viscosity that I'd probably have to apply it more frequently and more carefully... but would this product be likely to cause damage? (I have a lot of it, and it would be cheaper to just use it as opposed to buying new stuff)

http://www.moldmoreparts.com/A635txt.htm

http://www.moldmoreparts.com/Lubricants.htm