Durability of adonized finish for different colored aluminum lights

Danielight

Enlightened
I just got a blue Thrunite Ti in the mail today. Later in the day, I stuck a bigger flashlight in the same pocket where I was carrying my new Thrunite. When I looked at the new light I noticed a tiny scratch in the blue finish. Is the blue color generally more prone to scratches and chipping than the normal black adonizing? I'm sure that over time, it's going to show signs of wear, especially if I keep the light on a ring with keys, etc. Just curious.

pinetree89

Enlightened
IIRC if there is color to the anodizing other than grey/black it's a Type I ano.

One thing I know for sure, is a lot makers are a little too cavalier with the term "Type III Hard anodized".

Danielight

Enlightened
According to Thrunite's website, the Ti model features Premium Type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish. I'm surprised that my blue Ti scratched so easily. Pinetree, your comment about their claim regarding Type III hard-anodizing may be true. I might contact Thrunite just to see what they say.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Specifications focus on which type of anno, the hardness of the shell. But since every company (other than SF and mag) use type III exclusively, a better indicator of durability is thickness of the shell. Thicker is tougher, but it costs more and doesn't accept color/dyes:

.0005 < - type II
.0007 < - limit for ha light colors
.0012 < - limit for ha dark colors (other than black)
.0020 < - max

So as a general rule, the brighter the color, the softer/thinner the finish.

Slazmo

Enlightened
Agree with that! My Mag black 3D was dropped onto the concrete a few times and survived admirably with a small ding etc but the Anodising intact... My new Mag in Pewter dropped and the anodising was completely shorn off and now not a happy camper!

Danielight

Enlightened
The little ding in my Thrunite was hardly noticeable. Anway, I ended up giving it to my wife (who said the blue color matched her purse) in exchange for her Quark Mini AA (which also picked up a few tiny dings in her purse). Everyone's happy ... :D

Last edited:

loquutis79

Enlightened
My Eagletac D25LC2 has anno coming off all over the middle knurl section. When I activate the clicky with my thumb, the barrel gets scratched by the relativily soft gold of my ring on my finger. I found I could actually take off some anno with my thumb nail using a little bit of pressure.

My retailer was contacted, pictures sent, which he forwarded to Eagletac. He will send me a new body tube when he gets his next shipment.

No sign of such on my Fenix, Klarus, Romisen. And I sure hope my most costly light so far, the Thrunite TN31 coming in the mail, does not do this.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought that
ANY color is only color, mixed into the uppest layer, so not really at the same hardness than the andodizing itself.
the "only" colored anodizing is "natural", where the whole thickness is that nice brown-green tone and no outside scratch will show anything
:thinking: