Disappointed in Fenix Flashlight Holster Quality

muddywolf

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone

I have recently become a fan of Fenix flashlights.

I like the sheer power they have in such a compact, sleek, and durable design.

I also like the fact that they are very adjustable and most of these flashlights have at least 6 different light modes.

However I am not a fan of their flimsy, cheap, holsters.

When I bought my Fenix LD20 and tried the holster for the first time I was deeply disappointed.

Being a major appliance tech and taking my flashlight in and out of a holster probably 40 times a day I immediately noticed I had trouble.

The material is so thin and the LD20 is somewhat jagged on the sides it catches and doesn't slide in or out smoothly at all.

The velcro flap is already worn out and doesn't like to stay put over the flashlight.

I recently ordered a Fenix PD30 and I am pretty sure its going to come with another cheap holster.

I would like to buy some new holsters for the LD20 and PD30.

I have been seriously looking at the Quicktrex FlashlightPAL (over 30.00 with shipping) or 4 sevens which I have seen online for around ten dollars with shipping.

I like my flashlights to be completely covered by the holster and prefer a heavy nylon with velcro design.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

dam294

Newly Enlightened
I really like the quality of the Maxpedition flashlight sheath/holsters. The 5" flashlight holster will fit your LD20 nicely. Their "Single Sheath" or 4" holster should work well with the PD30.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
The manufacturers include a holster as an added incentive. They use the least expensive one they can source. having a decent holster will usually mean going aftermarket as a separate purchase

muddywolf

Newly Enlightened
Thats a shame manufacturers don't take more care in providing a good holster.

When buying a compact flashlight that costs 3 to 4 times more than a regular flashlight

I sure would like to protect it.

Thanks for the suggestions on the Maxpedition holsters.

I'll check them out.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
The manufacturers include a holster as an added incentive. They use the least expensive one they can source. having a decent holster will usually mean going aftermarket as a separate purchase

Yeah, my PD32 holster is pretty thin, but it's good enough for casual use. If I'm a professional X, Y or Z, I'm going with something more robust, which I'm going to have to pay good money for.

Chris

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have yet to find a SINGLE HOLSTER that is bundled in flashlight packages that A) is of good quality and B) can properly perform its function.

Most of them are poorly constructed and fall apart after some use, not to mention doing rather poor job at "holding" the lights.

Also, I have total disdain for holsters that make liberal use of velcro to keep the flap closed--I do NOT want to announce my presence when I'm taking the light out. Magnetic, quick-release snap or, heck, even snap fastener will be great. But, NOOOOOOOOOOO, 99% of all holsters that I can find have velcro. AAAARRRRGH!!

That's why I carry my primary light clipped to my pocket or belt. Sure, the light will taking a little beating, but the method offers the fastest time to draw the light, is completely silent and does not add any weight.

If someone was to make a lightweight MOLLE holster with tough material (1680D or higher) that allows for silent drawing, can hold the light in both bezel down or up positions, and be adjustable in both length and diameter for different light sizes, it would be perfect. There is one that ALMOST fits the requirement over at intl-outdoor.com, so I might give that a try.

buds224

Enlightened
Hi everyone

I have recently become a fan of Fenix flashlights.

I like the sheer power they have in such a compact, sleek, and durable design.

I also like the fact that they are very adjustable and most of these flashlights have at least 6 different light modes.

However I am not a fan of their flimsy, cheap, holsters.

When I bought my Fenix LD20 and tried the holster for the first time I was deeply disappointed.

Being a major appliance tech and taking my flashlight in and out of a holster probably 40 times a day I immediately noticed I had trouble.

The material is so thin and the LD20 is somewhat jagged on the sides it catches and doesn't slide in or out smoothly at all.

The velcro flap is already worn out and doesn't like to stay put over the flashlight.

I recently ordered a Fenix PD30 and I am pretty sure its going to come with another cheap holster.

I would like to buy some new holsters for the LD20 and PD30.

I have been seriously looking at the Quicktrex FlashlightPAL (over 30.00 with shipping) or 4 sevens which I have seen online for around ten dollars with shipping.

I like my flashlights to be completely covered by the holster and prefer a heavy nylon with velcro design.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

I think the Fenix holsters are ample enough, but I would have to FULLY AGREE with you on the LD20. What was most disappointing is that the fit sucked. On mine, it does not accomodate the light with the clip unless you clip it to the holster rather than the holster holding the light entirely, clip inside. Second, even when I got it to work (clip holding to side of holster), the velcro flap didn't fold over completely to utilize the entire velcro.

I have the PD32 as well and the holster has more room than required (very loose fit), but better than not having enough room like the LD20 holster. I eventually want to go aftermarket, but still haven't found the perfect one for the LD20.

Burgess

Flashaholic
I have found the Rip-Offs model # 153 holster fits my Fenix L2D,
or 47's Quark 2xAA flashlight VERY nicely ! :thumbsup:

Bought it 6 years ago, from Bright Guy, for $10.95.

Been EDC-carrying this holster Every Single Day since, and it has held up Great !

I have the BL model, with a Belt-Loop.
Prefer this one, over the CL (metal clip) version.

Hope this is helpful.

buds224

Enlightened
I have found the Rip-Offs model # 153 holster fits my Fenix L2D,
or 47's Quark 2xAA flashlight VERY nicely ! :thumbsup:

Bought it 6 years ago, from Bright Guy, for $10.95.

Been EDC-carrying this holster Every Single Day since, and it has held up Great !

I have the BL model, with a Belt-Loop.
Prefer this one, over the CL (metal clip) version.

Hope this is helpful.

Sounds like it could work well with the LD20. I must check this holster that you speak of.

muddywolf

Newly Enlightened
This are very good insights and opinions.

I like the idea of a magnetic latching holster.

Are they available?

I'm a big fan of magnetism especially rare earth magnets.

I bought some on Ebay a while back and they are cool.

Just one of these tiny magnets can hold up a poster sized object on my refrigerator.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-Neodymiu...527?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ebf2b0a2f

I would like to get the Flashlight Pal Holster but with shipping its over 30.00.

But I like that you can pivot the clip and mount to the side of a hat.

http://www.flashlightpal.com/

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
I have yet to find a SINGLE HOLSTER that is bundled in flashlight packages that A) is of good quality and B) can properly perform its function.

Most of them are poorly constructed and fall apart after some use, not to mention doing rather poor job at "holding" the lights.

Also, I have total disdain for holsters that make liberal use of velcro to keep the flap closed--I do NOT want to announce my presence when I'm taking the light out. Magnetic, quick-release snap or, heck, even snap fastener will be great. But, NOOOOOOOOOOO, 99% of all holsters that I can find have velcro. AAAARRRRGH!!

That's why I carry my primary light clipped to my pocket or belt. Sure, the light will taking a little beating, but the method offers the fastest time to draw the light, is completely silent and does not add any weight.

If someone was to make a lightweight MOLLE holster with tough material (1680D or higher) that allows for silent drawing, can hold the light in both bezel down or up positions, and be adjustable in both length and diameter for different light sizes, it would be perfect. There is one that ALMOST fits the requirement over at intl-outdoor.com, so I might give that a try.

You may want to look into something like the Blackhawk Gladius or the Surefire version. I am in need of a new TK15 holster myself. The loop field is coming off of the holster slowly but surely and I have worn a dime sized hole in the side.Those Blackhawks are a bit bulky though, for anything other that a duty carry it might be a wee bit conspicuous. I belt carried for awhile but the light kept falling off every time I had to run or go up a flight of stairs. My Tk15 took more of a beating in the week that I belt carried it than it did in the rest of the six months I have owned it.

gypsyman

Newly Enlightened
I have been using the flashlight holder from Nite Ize -- Inovation. It works well with my LD22. The belt clip is very secure and allows you to angel and point it. It is expandable and will fit up to a D cell maglite. Even though it can handle one that large, it still "grips" the LD22 real well.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix used to have decent holsters: fairly rigid nylon with elastic sides. 4Sevens still have holsters just like that, but with a flap and,yes, velcro. I use 2 4seven's holsters for my work EDC. The velcro is now worn out and the flap stays a little open, but I will eventually just cut it off and melt the edge since the elastic sides are all you need to keep the light in there.