Trustfire Mini-01

MattSPL

Enlightened
My Trustfire Mini-01 arrived today :D

Its a small, single CR123 light made from stainless steel with a perfectly centered T6 XM-L emitter. It cost $16.49 with free postage.
It came with a key ring attached, but the small split ring at the tail seemed a bit small and light weight, so i replaced it with a heavy duty split ring and lanyard.
The light weighs about 2oz incl the CR123, and measures 65mm x 20mm.

Fit and finish are good. Better than i expected for the price, only when twisting the light to activate it, it feels a little rough. This might just be due to the stainless steel construction, or the threads needing a good clean, i'm not sure. The light has 3 modes - High, low and strobe. It would probably make more sense if it had high, med and low instead of the strobe mode though.
The 2 O'rings on the light are GITD.

The light was advertised as 800 lumens, although i have seen the same light listed as 300 and 1000 lumens elsewhere :thinking:
At a guess, from comparing to a couple of other lights, i'd say it is about 400-500 lumens, so it's a nice little pocket rocket :)

7513939308_f033618932_c.jpg

7513954266_10d903c0d4_c.jpg

Cheers
Matt

dajabec

Newly Enlightened
I measured about 550 lumens with an 16340. It's brighter than my SC600's high mode (not turbo). I thought it was a little big for duty on my keychain, but that's where it ended up ;)

MattSPL

Enlightened
I measured about 550 lumens with an 16340. It's brighter than my SC600's high mode (not turbo). I thought it was a little big for duty on my keychain, but that's where it ended up ;)

They certainly seem great for the money :twothumbs 550 lumens is pretty nice :D
I have an AW LifeP04 in mine at the moment.

MattSPL

Enlightened
I just got a couple of Yezl 16340's for this light. They have 3.2A max discharge. The Mini-01 is now REALLY BRIGHT :D
Heat wasn't really an issue running on the LifeP04's, even after 5-10 minutes use it was still ok to hold, but with the Yezl 16340's, it heats up really quick, but must be putting out 600 lumens now :)
I discovered that the course feel when operating the twisty light is due to the pressure from the spring in the tail. It's pushing the cell to make contact with the head. If you remove the cell and operate the light, it feels perfect.
The extra length of the protected 16340 over the LifeP04 is a good 3-4mm. The protected cell fits in the light, but causes even more pressure pushing the head, so the twisting operation is a bit harder again :ohgeez:I'm hoping that a bit of time will compress the spring a little, or a bit of a mod to the spring could help.
Anybody try this light with an IMR 16340?

Mike_TX

Enlightened
That light would have to be pulling 3A or more at the pill to make 600 lumens, and I doubt that's happening. Manafont lists it at 280 lumens, and that's a far more realistic rating.

MattSPL

Enlightened
The Mini-01 is Direct drive as far as i know, and was tested on another forum to be pulling 2.1A at the tail on a primary.

dajabec commented in post #2 that he measured 550 lumens on a 16340.

I have a P60 XM-L U2 running @ 3.1A. The Mini-01's output isn't far from it, by eye anyway.

Mike_TX

Enlightened

How did you measure the output ... do you have an integrating sphere and a good light meter? If the meter doesn't read in lumens, how did you convert from lux or foot-candles?

dajabec

Newly Enlightened
How did you measure the output ... do you have an integrating sphere and a good light meter? If the meter doesn't read in lumens, how did you convert from lux or foot-candles?

Just going by the lux in my thrown together "lightbox". It does read higher than the 500 lumen mode of my Zebralight SC600 which I used to calibrate the box.

MattSPL

Enlightened
Here's some reading's i got yesterday measuring the current draw of the Trustfire Mini-01 with various different cells.

Trustfire primary – Low 0.08A, High 0.8A
Surefire primary – Low 0.06A, High 0.75A
Ultracell 3.2v LifeP04 – Low 0.1A, High 1A
AW 3.2v LifeP04 – Low 0.13A, High 1.09A
Yezl 3.7v 16340 – Low 0.25A, High 2.4A

MattSPL

Enlightened
I have just tested the Mini-01's current draw on 2 different 18650 cells. Obviously the 18650's don't fit this light, but they fit inside the head for testing.
Senybor 3100mAh(Panasonic) protected – Low 0.27A, High 2.55A
Panasonic GCR18650CH – Low 0.30A, High 2.9A

Last edited:

MattSPL

Enlightened
A pair of AW IMR 16340's arrived today for the Mini-01.

I measured a peak of 3.07A and a constant 2.8A on high :)

alex21

Newly Enlightened
How much brighter is it Matt with the IMR?
Speaking of dirty threads, I just opened mine up a short while ago and notice mine are pretty dirty.. Very cool little light.. got another on the way! :laughing:

MattSPL

Enlightened
How much brighter is it Matt with the IMR?
Speaking of dirty threads, I just opened mine up a short while ago and notice mine are pretty dirty.. Very cool little light.. got another on the way! :laughing:

Its pulling between 0.4 and 0.6A more with the IMR. It's noticeably brighter with the IMR, but not as much of a jump as going from a primary to an rcr123a.
I tested it briefly last night and its definitely brighter with the IMR. It appears even more floody because the spill is brighter. It really lights up the whole area now :D

I've ordered another one too :D I'm going to have a go at modding it with a U2 XM-L on a copper star(hopefully).

I like the peace of mind using the protected rcr123 because the light drains the cell quite quickly. I suppose once i've ran the IMR through the light a few times, ill get used to when to pull the cell out to charge, but at the moment i'm being careful not to over discharge.

Fuzzuki

Newly Enlightened
I have had my mini for a few weeks now.
Compared to my Olight S10 it's a little brighter. And smaller.
But still a very cool light. I like using it by just pushing the two halves together. It makes it quick and easy.
It will heat up very quickly, but what do you expect from such a tiny light.

Every time I pick it up, I am amazed at how small it is. I'm almost afraid to lose the little pill.
Smooth finish on the outside is really nice.

Does it get any smaller and brighter. Because if there is, I will be buying it.

MattSPL

Enlightened
I have had my mini for a few weeks now.
Compared to my Olight S10 it's a little brighter. And smaller.
But still a very cool light. I like using it by just pushing the two halves together. It makes it quick and easy.
It will heat up very quickly, but what do you expect from such a tiny light.

Every time I pick it up, I am amazed at how small it is. I'm almost afraid to lose the little pill.
Smooth finish on the outside is really nice.

Does it get any smaller and brighter. Because if there is, I will be buying it.

Have you tried a 3.7v rechargeable or IMR?

Fuzzuki

Newly Enlightened
I am currently using an RCR.
That's not what I meant.
Is there any other flashlight that is smaller and brighter?
If so, I will buy it.

MattSPL

Enlightened
I am currently using an RCR.
That's not what I meant.
Is there any other flashlight that is smaller and brighter?
If so, I will buy it.

If you use an AW IMR16340, the Mini-01 pulls upto 3A and is really bright. I measured 2.4A with a Yezl 16340
I don't know of any smaller, brighter lights.

Latest posts