Nitecore Explorer: EC1 or EA1?

fyrstormer

Banned
Just curious which single-cell version of the Nitecore Explorer people would be more inclined to buy. I prefer CR123s but I'm okay with using AAs. I know there's a lumen difference but I'm not overly preoccupied with that. What other considerations would affect your choice between these two lights?

tam17

Enlightened
EA1, and this is a choice based on Eneloop AA batteries that I mostly use. CR123s are still too expensive for me in the long run. The other reason is that flashlights using 1xCR123 tend to be too short and stubby for secure hold and single-hand operation. But YMMV, this is just my opinion.

Talking of Explorer series, I'm still waiting for a bit more serious single-cell beast...:naughty:

Cheers

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
fyrstormer, I went with the EC1 just because of the length. Yes, it's a bit brighter, but I don't really care about that. Granted, the size difference is minimal, but when I'm looking for the smallest possible little light to drop in my pocket, that 3/4 of an inch difference is noticeable.

Incidentally, it's a cool little light. Throws forever with the deep reflector. The interface is cool and different - and the red flashing LED, when set to constant, makes a nice red glow to light a room when your vision is night adjusted.

I took the clip off of mine and carry it often.

It's a bright little sucker, too!

fyrstormer

Banned
tam17, I use RCR123s, so the cost of CR123 primaries is not a concern for me. Yes, RCRs cost $4-6 apiece, but they've lasted for years, so...:shrug:

The difference in length is one of the factors I've been wondering about. The EC1 looks like it might actually be too short to hold comfortably, even though the mode of operation lends itself to being pinched between thumb and forefinger. (then again, my backup EDC is an Aeon, so maybe I don't really care about length?) I can't say without trying whether it actually is too short or not, though.

Also, the EC1 has shorter threading on the tailcap, and that has me wondering whether the tailcap tries to pop off as soon as it's loosened a bit for lockout. Another thing I can't say without trying.

Has anyone noticed problems in either of these areas?

Last edited:

andrewnewman

Enlightened
Went with the EA1. A bit more flexible for my uses. This is supposed to be a multi-purpose camping light so I can run it on Eneloops when I'm at "base camp" and through in a lithium primary when I am away from power mains. I can carry a small bundle of lithium primaries if I am away for a long time with little risk of running out of juice. Finally if I do get short i can always use ubiquitous Alkaline AAs as an emergency backup.