Will the L5 have a longer throw than an E2E?

E2E4ME

Newly Enlightened
The plans forming in my head are to purchase an L5 for work, and retire my L4, E2E and G2 to house/car/camping duty. In my mind I imagine the L5 being able to perform every task I need around the job, i.e. sun-bright with at least a 30 to 40 foot throw.

Anyone thinking along the same lines? Right now I have an E2E, an L4 and a G2 in my work bag. I'd like to replace all of those with one, long-lasting, envy-inducing light!

If metal flashlights ever get banned at work I'll have to bring back the G2, but until then.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I think you have a viable proposition there. If you find that the KL5 is a bit shy on the throw you need, I would bet that modding it with a Luxeon III and DB 700 will take care of that problem! You would double the run time, have similar luminous output and beam shape to the E2e but, Uh Oh, you may miss the flood of the KL4. I don't think you will have an option but to try out the KL5! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

- Don

hula

Newly Enlightened
Why don't you just purchase a Mr X or high bin Space Needle 2 if you want greater than 30 - 40 ft throw with high brightness? These two ( and there are others ) will blitz an L4 and most likely an L5. Job done!

Hula.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
grnamin,

I haven't a clue and without an integrating sphere, it's anyone's guess. I don't have an E2e handy but for the heck of it, I compared an A2 with a McLux-PR with III-DB1000 for Lux. They are about the same with the PR maybe edging out the A2. Now as I understand it, the A2 hs a slight edge on the E2e. I expect the KL5's reflector to have a similar beam to the PR with a tighter and more concentrated spill beam.

Given what I have seen, I expect the KL5 stock to have more luminous output than the E2e but possibly not as great as reach. With a III in the KL5, I am confident that the E2e can be retired on all counts.

- Don

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
With a III in the KL5, I am confident that the E2e can be retired on all counts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except for pocketability. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
2x123's seem to me to be the perfect size for pocketability, but maybe thats just me. If Al really does wear size 15's, he could probably get away with pcoketing a Maxabeam.

Size15's

Flashaholic
It has been confirmed that I wear size 15 (UK) which are size 16 (US) (or about Euro size 49/50 I believe).
"Is that a Beast in my pocket or am I pleased to see you?" is what the ladies usually say...

Al

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Al,

With those feet, you probably have no problem wadeing in it "deep" which is a good thing since you seem to lay it pretty deep! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

- Don

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's all a matter of what you want. As my personal carry lights, I now have:

1. A KL1 overdriven to ~1A with a Q3J and NX05 optic.
2. A KL1 overdriven to ~1A with a Q3J and Fraen LP optic.
3. A KL4 with a KL1 circuit overdriven to ~900mA with a Q3J.
4. An E2e head that gets tagged in every once in a while, but not much lately.

I'm only doing this as a comparison of the pocketable lights that I have. All, except the MN03, will run on an E1e body and are truly compact.

As far as outright throw goes, the Fraen LP is still the king of the hill, but this comes at the cost of side spill. It's really not much good for up close work.

I still find the NX05 optic equipped KL1 to be the best all around performer. It has a little better throw than the KL4 with not as much side spill. This, of course, applies only in lights too small to accomodate the PM6 reflector.

The KL4 with the 1W is just a pleasure to look at. I'm EDCing it now. There are no artifacts in the beam at all. Just a hotspot in the center that makes a nice transition into sidespill. It's beam is similar the the 5W beam in that it puts up a wall of light, but also has throw.

If the reflector of the KL5 is going to be similar to the PR, it will in all likelihood, allow us to do away with the E2e incand. all toghether, if the KL5 is equipped with a 1W or 3W LED. All of the setups I have, give the E2e a run for its money. I'm hoping they'll do better when my 3W's get here. I have a McLux PR on the way and if it lives up to all I've heard, I will likely retire my 2 cell incands. If the 2 cell incands retain any advantage in throw and that extra throw is needed, I would probably be better served grabbing my M3.

There's just that something about the 1W/3W with a reflector. It just makes for a very nice light. I only wish that Surefire would have embraced this concept. It seems that Surefire only embraced the concept of using a reflector to overcome the problems associated with running a 5W with an optic.

I think it's safe to day that the days of the 2 cell incands are numbered.