Warm White Luxeon Datasheet and FAQ

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumileds has posted the datasheet for the warm whites and a FAQ. Here are the links:

Warm White DS47

FAQ

I won't duplicate all of the info here but a few items of note:

Typical output is 20 lumens vs 25 for the cool whites. This should be no surprise due to the physics involved.

Offered in batwing only in emitter, Star, and /O configurations only. No current plans to offer anything else including 3W and 5W versions.

Star configuration used the board like the 3W and 5W versions. The FAQ says this is for lower thermal resistance but the values on the datasheet are the same as for the old 1W versions.

Graphs of efficiency variation with drive current and temperature looks like the cool white version.

I personally am looking forward to seeing these.

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
One other significant observation. The warm whites use the emitter lead configuration of the Luxeon III and V so this means that they are not an "exact" drop in replacement for the cool 1W.

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another comment. Whoever did the technical review of the datasheet did not do a very good job. I have already noticed one pretty glaring error; they have the height dimension of the Star configuration obviously wrong.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Weird. I wonder why only batwing is offered. One would think it's to get rid of NOS greenies, but if the emitter leads are different then they must be new units. But why batwing... odd.... Maybe they need the larger phosphur cup to mix in enough red or whatever color phosphur.

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
It could also be that they are leveraging existing manufacturing infrastructure. Considering that all new Luxeons (Luxeon-III) are being manufactuered with high-dome assembly equipment, they may have excessive low-dome assembly equipment/parts laying around unused. If they are expecting relatively lower demand for the warm whites, they may be focusing on delivering higher quantities of high dome white luxeons.